Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my 2020 Colorado Duramax to pull my Nucamp TAG teardrop camper that weighs around 1300 pounds. I have ordered a Battleborn 100 am hour Lithium Iron Phosphate battery to replace the Interstate SRM 24 marine deep cycle lead acid battery in my camper. Per my truck instructions I use the tow haul mode which boosts the voltage up to 14 volts when towing. I will be using one of the Battleborn batteries only in the camper. When I arrive at the campsite I disconnect the trailer from the truck to prevent discharging the truck battery. The lithium battery has much less resistance compared to the lead acid battery, and I am presuming will pull more current when low. I will charge the Lithium battery with a dedicated lithium battery charger before hitting the road. The charge pin on the factory 7 way pin has a 30 amp fuse. Questions: 1. is the alternator going to charge this camper lithium battery ok going down the road. How may amps will it push through the factor wire connecting the 7 way pin charging pole with the factory bus? 2. Is the Lithium camper battery going to pull so much current it damages my alternator, or will the 30 amp fuse simply blow it it gets to pulling too much current. 3. Do I need to use a battery isolator? Amy time the truck is turned off when I stop at a campsite I unplug the trailer from the 7 way so it cannot drain the truck battery overnight. Thanks for any insite you can offer!!!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Great idea unplugging the 7 way when you get to the campsite. A word of caution, always make sure you unplug the 7 way before plugging in to shore power/park pedestal. If not, you will blow truck fuses immediately, when the trailer convertor feeds power back thru the 7 way. Ask me how I know. Cannot comment on the lithium battery, know nothing about it.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
951 Posts
I would contact them directly.
Considering the cost of that thing!! Awesome

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I think the OP is questioning whether the truck alternator will charge the trailer lithium battery at correct rate while towing.

Reactions: MrCamo

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
951 Posts
I think the OP is questioning whether the truck alternator will charge the trailer lithium ion battery at correct rate while towing.
For sure!! You can look up the allowable ampacities tables in the NFPA NEC Code book, I haven’t had to apply that for a while but you can look at it to see which variable you will need to determine if the wire size is adequate.
I would still call these guys up. They’re US based and I would expect he isn’t the first person to ask this question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am using 2 relion 100ah lithium batteries in my work truck (semi tractor) for "hotel load". I cannot say what the 7way/fuse will do. But the alternator will charge your battery correctly.

However, i can tell you that the battery will pull everything your alternator has... 100ah also mean the bms will let it charge up to 100amp... So... That 30amp fuse will protect your truck no matter what. But if i were you, just to be on the safe side, i would buy a dc-dc charger. Probably a 20amp or so and put it on your battery in the camper. That way, you are sure it will never exceed that draw. It also has the advantage to bring the voltage up, even if your alternator give 13.?v, it will boost it up to 14.? That what i did in my truck. 60amp dc-dc charger. But i have a bigger alternator than the colorado/canyon have.

Envoyé de mon VOG-L04 en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts