Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I had to do some cutting on the rear tab of the CBI covert to fit the AEV highmarks and 35”s. Worth every bit.

After about 20k miles my Nitro 4.56s have failed. Won’t know if it was setup or gears that failed until 5/12. Now that Dana/Spicer makes 4.10s I’ve elected to go that route. They are currently the only US made gears for our axles. The potential add of a SC or LT swap and the 4.10’s make more sense anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man, sorry to hear they failed. Let us know what you find out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dadsafrantic

·
Registered
2021 Chevy ZR2 ECLB, Blue-the best color
91 Posts
I had to do some cutting on the rear tab of the CBI covert to fit the AEV highmarks and 35”s. Worth every bit.

After about 20k miles my Nitro 4.56s have failed. Won’t know if it was setup or gears that failed until 5/12. Now that Dana/Spicer makes 4.10s I’ve elected to go that route. They are currently the only US made gears for our axles. The potential add of a SC or LT swap and the 4.10’s make more sense anyways.

no offense but i'm hoping it was the setup. please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We totally had a chat about this. Here's some motivation pics from my fender chop.

35x10.50's, stock wheel, stock caster (probably less since I knocked the alignment out several times, wheeling). Clearance for days. Didn't even touch the body mounts. Last pic is close to completely bottomed out.

View attachment 408390
OMG those fenders look sooooo hack job LOL!! Cheeezing it. Big time ugly!

Note to others, do it right...not this.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
OMG those fenders look sooooo hack job LOL!! Cheeezing it. Big time ugly!

Note to others, do it right...not this.
You again!? You didn't even respond on the last attempt at an insult, in that leveling kit thread. 😂 And you wanna try again?

I guess we can give you another shot... validate your claim. Don't be scared. If you're gonna insult me in public and say I'm doing something wrong, at least follow through. Don't dodge the question this time, let us know what YOU did on YOUR truck. We will wait.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
ah. thanks. good to know. i'm pretty sure i'm going to run through a set of 33's before and if ever i go to 35's......maybe. did you find out what the axles are made from? hopefully some moly blend anyway. what gears di you go to? i have some 4.56 in a box behind me.
I think that the axles are everyday Dana/GM, I don't think they are a weak link in the rear drive train. I've had the Nitro 4.10 sets for the past three years. I had a rear end guy set them up, no noise. Work with the 33" tire I use.
After doing the AEV trim kit I think I could fit 34's, but that's a long ways off.

·
Super Moderator
4,219 Posts
The truck looks fantastic man!

If I had the cash I'd snatch up the AEV fender flares, 4.10 gears and a set of Open County AT3 in 35/11.5/17. 37s are just too much for our trucks from a durability standpoint. Even 35s is pushing it but that's what we do. :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think that the axles are everyday Dana/GM, I don't think they are a weak link in the rear drive train. I've had the Nitro 4.10 sets for the past three years. I had a rear end guy set them up, no noise. Work with the 33" tire I use.
After doing the AEV trim kit I think I could fit 34's, but that's a long ways off.
yeah. i might skip the 33's and go straight to the 34's. falken wildpeak at3w 285/75 r17 e rating. i had the 265/70r17 on my touareg for 20k miles before trading it for the zr2. they were point and shoot on that. that was a gen 2 so had the locking center diff with l/r. it walked wherever it wanted to go really. in my local area i think mud terrains are not really needed. i'm sure i'll change my mind as soon as it rains.

·
Registered
645 Posts
You again!? You didn't even respond on the last attempt at an insult, in that leveling kit thread. 😂 And you wanna try again?

I guess we can give you another shot... validate your claim. Don't be scared. If you're gonna insult me in public and say I'm doing something wrong, at least follow through. Don't dodge the question this time, let us know what YOU did on YOUR truck. We will wait.
Its not an insult to you personally. Just an observation of the choice to cut up the fenders and apply cheap, skinny, silly looking, from the hardware store/PEP Boys garbage around the openings. It's a serious question from anyone with an eye towards class or quality. I did crap like that when I was kid too LOL....

The post needs no validation, its a subjective view...if you are happy with that then that's all that matters. I think finishing the fenders like that looks horrible on anything but a beater, your truck is nicer than that and does not deserve that.

My truck has the stock ZR2 flares and openings. With that said there are options out there I have seen for people who want to MOD the flares and openings that appear top notch, the AEV options look great!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Its not an insult to you personally. Just an observation of the choice to cut up the fenders and apply cheap, skinny, silly looking, from the hardware store/PEP Boys garbage around the openings. It's a serious question from anyone with an eye towards class or quality. I did crap like that when I was kid too LOL....

The post needs no validation, its a subjective view...if you are happy with that then that's all that matters. I think finishing the fenders like that looks horrible on anything but a beater, your truck is nicer than that and does not deserve that.

My truck has the stock ZR2 flares and openings. With that said there are options out there I have seen for people who want to MOD the flares and openings that appear top notch, the AEV options look great!

I personally don't like the bushwhacker style, bolt on flare look of the AEV highmarks.

See how I disagreed with your opinion without calling yours stupid or childish? Just like I didn't say you were those things either. Because if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say it.

Have a great day!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
452 Posts

Your comment was 100% insulting. Remember when you were a child and they taught you “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” ? Maybe you missed that class... Also those fenders you mentioned cost $1400 for a set and accomplish the same thing as hoonigans fender trim. Which is free, well done, and looks good in my opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts

what do you use your truck for? have you done any mods? i have a list of parts coming from many fab shops to make my truck beautiful and more capable. i'm probably going to do a clear wrap on the front as paint protection.

and btw you may think saying you meant no insult makes it so. however, your way of phrasing your opinion is indeed imo insulting. however carefully chosen your words were is made insulting by the way in which you strung them together. as i say, imo. 🤨

·
Registered
645 Posts
Your comment was 100% insulting. Remember when you were a child and they taught you “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” ? Maybe you missed that class... Also those fenders you mentioned cost $1400 for a set and accomplish the same thing as hoonigans fender trim. Which is free, well done, and looks good in my opinion.

I rest my case LOL, if cost is the prime motivation then go for it choppers...Be butthurt if it makes you feel better. Low class mods are just that, garbage and detrimental to the value of the vehicle.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts