Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I just installed the new LED Taillight kit from Gen5Diy. It looks awesome at night install was super easy just plug and play. You can get it two ways, harness plus lights or just the harness if you have your own lights you like better.
Don?t forget promo code bluetruck for 10% off. Here's the link
2015-2017 Chevy Colorado LED Taillight Load Harness
I'm not sure about this one guys.....

Maybe the pics don't portray the red led brightness distinctly or ???

The led don't look much better than the oem.

However the reverse is definitely brighter

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts

This is more about the tail light harness itself, not the LEDs. Because you need resistors when you swap over to LEDs, this harness is a plug and play setup that prevents you having to tap into or splice into your stock harnesses

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

Don't base their brightness on a picture. Exposure corrections screw with brightness, especially with the setting sun in the background.

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I wanted to change the rear to the LED with the harness and leave the front stock, would I have any hyper flashing issues? Or would I need to change the front over as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I wanted to change the rear to the LED with the harness and leave the front stock, would I have any hyper flashing issues? Or would I need to change the front over as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The resistors prevent the hyper-flashing. You can just do the rear and be ok.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
$71.88 and it doesn't come with bulbs? Holy crap Batman. You're just adding a resistor. Those are cheap! I get that you have to find the plugs and it's plug-n-play but that seems like quite a markup in my opinion.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
$71.88 and it doesn't come with bulbs? Holy crap Batman. You're just adding a resistor. Those are cheap! I get that you have to find the plugs and it's plug-n-play but that seems like quite a markup in my opinion.

I was actually researching into making a version of my own to possibly sell. But by the time I added up the parts to make it, the time to make one. Let's take a look.

These are all based on Amazon prices.

Female Molex connector: $6.65
Male Molex connector: $6.12
Female molex terminals: $0.73 ($18.25 for pack of 100 or $0.1825 per one)
Male molex terminals: $0.67 ($16.66 for pack of 100 or $0.1666 per one)
Resistors: $5.39 (pack of 2)

This list does not include cost of wires, wire loom, or electrical tape.

Since the harness would require 4 wires for each molex connector:
Common ground - black wire
Turn signal positive - gray wire
Tail light positive - orange wire
Reverse positive - yellow wire

I would need to use 4 male and female terminal pairs.

Now lets say I've perfected the craft of putting the molex terminals into the connectors, to use all 100 pieces, I can then make 25 harnesses. I have plenty of spare wire lying around to make the 25 harnesses so i wont even count that into my price.

But based upon pricing above, it would cost just under $20 per harness ($19.56 to be exact) and you would need two harnesses per truck.

So would it be worth it to me, to spend $500, make 25 harnesses to sell, with a decent price range to make money but not be overkill? Thats why I never went forward with it. So $71 for two harnesses without bulbs would be about right.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting. It's crazy how much those weatherpac molex connectors cost. If you could get them from China that would fit half the cost.

What are the specifics on the connectors? 4pin just square connectors. I'm going to see if I can find them cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I'm sure if you find a bulk distributor, they could probably sell cheaper, of course.

But otherwise you're looking for Molex MX150 sealed connectors, 6 wire or 6 circuit connection. The male side is also called blade connector and blade terminals while the female side is called receptacle connector and receptacle terminals.

I think these are the part numbers:
Female: 33472-0601
Male: 33482-0601

·
Registered
850 Posts
I was just thinking about this after i bought the Gen5 harness for the front of my truck if they would make one for the rear or had planned too will be picking one up since I don’t want to tap into the factory harness thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
I was just thinking about this after i bought the Gen5 harness for the front of my truck if they would make one for the rear or had planned too will be picking one up since I don’t want to tap into the factory harness thanks for the info.
I've been trying to figure it out now for about 6 months because I kept blowing the resistors. Everytime I had to replace a resistor, I would need to hack into a new part of the wires. My stock tail light harnesses look like swiss cheese now.

Ultimately in the end I just went with the aftermarket Anzo LED tail lights.

·
Registered
850 Posts
What’s the difference in the part numbers for the rear brake lights one shows 7443 and the other shows 7443r are they both the same? Thanks
Think I figured it out the r means red
Also do they recommend certain bulbs for these like they do the front?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
What’s the difference in the part numbers for the rear brake lights one shows 7443 and the other shows 7443r are they both the same? Thanks
Think I figured it out the r means red
Both bulbs are 7443

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.