Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience running with a lightweight wedge style camper like the GFC, Alucab canopy camper, or Super Pacific X1? I am about to get the Super Pacific camper in the next few months, and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what I should do to upgrade my suspension on my stock 2019 LT CCSB to support the extra weight, if it's even needed?

The Super Pacific camper is very lightweight by itself, around 350lbs, but when you add more camping gear and people/dogs, it could easily double or triple that.

If you had a limited budget, what would be the first thing you would upgrade on the stock suspension? The leaf springs? or the shocks/struts? or something else?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The factory leaf springs are well known to wear out early under normal use and even faster under heavy regular load. Alcan will make you a set of custom leafs for whatever weight load you want and the ride is great. I got a set to replace the 4" blocks from my bds lift and add an extra 300# capacity and couldn't be happier. They'll run you $750-$950 and are worth every penny. Also a pretty easy install if you're mechanically inclined; the only caveat is that you'll probably need to cut the front leaf spring bolt because of its shitty positioning and install the replacement backwards so it's easier to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Reactions: heyheycolorado

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The factory leaf springs are well known to wear out early under normal use and even faster under heavy regular load. Alcan will make you a set of custom leafs for whatever weight load you want and the ride is great. I got a set to replace the 4" blocks from my bds lift and add an extra 300# capacity and couldn't be happier. They'll run you $750-$950 and are worth every penny. Also a pretty easy install if you're mechanically inclined; the only caveat is that you'll probably need to cut the front leaf spring bolt because of its shitty positioning and install the replacement backwards so it's easier to deal with.

No, they're not known to wear out early. They are relatively flat and have a W shape from the factory. I've hauled and towed for tens of thousands of miles and my factory springs didn't flatten or wear out in the 60k miles I used them. Only reason I replaced my rear leafs was because I constantly carry a load now and wanted to regain some height in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Firehk and ARCowboy

·
Registered
349 Posts
No, they're not known to wear out early. They are relatively flat and have a W shape from the factory. I've hauled and towed for tens of thousands of miles and my factory springs didn't flatten or wear out in the 60k miles I used them. Only reason I replaced my rear leafs was because I constantly carry a load now and wanted to regain some height in the rear.

I say that based on my own experience and many other users on the forum here as well as others experiencing sagging springs after only a few years. Granted I had suspension mods that wore them out much faster but many here have seen a fair amount of sagging rear end issues with no previous suspension mods after running a camper shell for a short period of time. Perhaps I came off too sweeping. It doesn't happen to everyone but it's certainly not uncommon to see them wear out prematurely.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
I say that based on my own experience and many other users on the forum here as well as others experiencing sagging springs after only a few years. Granted I had suspension mods that wore them out much faster but many here have seen a fair amount of sagging rear end issues with no previous suspension mods after running a camper shell for a short period of time. Perhaps I came off too sweeping. It doesn't happen to everyone but it's certainly not uncommon to see them wear out prematurely.

A lot of the posts about this revolve around people looking at the springs and thinking they've worn out because they're more flat and have a W shape and they didn't actually notice any sag or lost height.

My truck has had a topper since basically new, has been run at or near RAWR for thousands of miles, and recently had been carrying about 600lb constantly. If these springs were wearing out fast then I'd know it. Maybe some people have had problems, but I haven't seen it. It's always been "why do my springs look like this, they're worn out already!" and they don't know they came that way.

Anyway, just sharing my experience and what I've seen. I've been really happy with my Deaver springs and Peak rear shocks so far.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you are 100% stock (not leveled/lifted), you could just add the camper and call it a day. It should get closer to an even ride height.

Further down the road, if you feel you need more capacity, the next best option for a "limited budget" is an Add-a-leaf. I'm 99% sure, AutoSprings makes the Peak AAL. And theirs is cheaper. The descriptions and part numbers are the same, word for word.

If you have a bit more budget, an off the shelf leaf pack like OME or Deaver is much better. Then finally a custom leaf pack from Deaver or whoever would be best case.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts

A lot of the posts about this revolve around people looking at the springs and thinking they've worn out because they're more flat and have a W shape and they didn't actually notice any sag or lost height.

My truck has had a topper since basically new, has been run at or near RAWR for thousands of miles, and recently had been carrying about 600lb constantly. If these springs were wearing out fast then I'd know it. Maybe some people have had problems, but I haven't seen it. It's always been "why do my springs look like this, they're worn out already!" and they don't know they came that way.

Anyway, just sharing my experience and what I've seen. I've been really happy with my Deaver springs and Peak rear shocks so far.

A little confused about these two posts. The first one says your springs are not worn out and have towed for 10,000 miles or more, but the next post talks about how happy you are with your Deaver springs.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
525 Posts
Hoooogan said it right. If you are at stock height with no level, you’ll be ok. If you are leveled and want to get the best value option. Add-a-leaf is a no brainer. I’m leveled with an add leaf and canopy and gear and I’m sitting pretty good. It handles the weight well. And exactly like hoooogan said, auto spring makes the spring for peak, so just buy it from autospring. It’ll save you around $10. If you can swing it, buy the Deaver expedition leaf packs. +2 inches of height and they are rated for a constant 600lb load. You’ll probably ATLEAST want to be leveled if you do this or else your asss will be sky high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 Bison V-6
60 Posts
If you are 100% stock (not leveled/lifted), you could just add the camper and call it a day. It should get closer to an even ride height.

Further down the road, if you feel you need more capacity, the next best option for a "limited budget" is an Add-a-leaf. I'm 99% sure, AutoSprings makes the Peak AAL. And theirs is cheaper. The descriptions and part numbers are the same, word for word.

If you have a bit more budget, an off the shelf leaf pack like OME or Deaver is much better. Then finally a custom leaf pack from Deaver or whoever would be best case.
Hoooogan said it right. If you are at stock height with no level, you’ll be ok. If you are leveled and want to get the best value option. Add-a-leaf is a no brainer. I’m leveled with an add leaf and canopy and gear and I’m sitting pretty good. It handles the weight well. And exactly like hoooogan said, auto spring makes the spring for peak, so just buy it from autospring. It’ll save you around $10. If you can swing it, buy the Deaver expedition leaf packs. +2 inches of height and they are rated for a constant 600lb load. You’ll probably ATLEAST want to be leveled if you do this or else your asss will be sky high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with both hoooogan and Skrongbed - I've been running a GMPP level and Peak Add-A-Leaf for almost a year now with no issues and nearly level ride on my 20 Bison and Canopy Camper (about 750lbs with accessories). I am confident you'll be okay with no modification as long as you are pragmatic about your load out. The majority of my gear goes behind me in the cab to keep the weight forward and low to the center of gravity. Even loaded for extended trips I am not running on the overload at both ends of the Add-A-Leaf. View attachment 411385

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am at stock height, no level or lift currently, however I was thinking about leveling out the truck eventually, but it sounds like you guys are saying the weight of the camper might bring me to level anyway? So I guess I'll just wait and see how it looks when I get the camper and build it out to my liking. I do like the idea of the add-a leaf option for not that much money. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 Bison V-6
60 Posts
Yes - wait until you camper is on and you have a typical load out to determine if you need/want the add-a-leaf. I only installed the add-a-leaf because I had installed the GMPP level before I purchased the Canopy Camper. I feel the stock suspension would have handled the weight fine but I needed the add-a-leaf to bring me back to a level stance. Look forward to seeing some pictures when you have your camper.

·
Registered
2020 ZR2 Bison V-6
60 Posts
I was thinking about this thread when I was working in my shop tonight so I snapped a quick picture of my rear leaf showing little to no load on the add-a-leaf. My truck is topped off with fuel and loaded to leave on a moments notice. So you're sure to be fine with the lighter SPC camper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking about this thread when I was working in my shop tonight so I snapped a quick picture of my rear leaf showing little to no load on the add-a-leaf. My truck is topped off with fuel and loaded to leave on a moments notice. So you're sure to be fine with the lighter SPC camper.
View attachment 411414
Interesting! Thanks for the pic. How do you like that canopy camper? Looks very nice!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just added a stainless RSI shell and plan to do a roof top tent later and am not planning any suspension mods. with just the shell on my truck is still a little raked. i think you'll be fine with no mods.

·
Registered
303 Posts
By the way, cant wait to hear your impressions of the Super Pacific. I debated for a long while which direction I was going to go before choosing the RSI, but those SPC's look damned nice. Where are you located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just added a stainless RSI shell and plan to do a roof top tent later and am not planning any suspension mods. with just the shell on my truck is still a little raked. i think you'll be fine with no mods.

Awesome, looks sweet! How much does that smart cap weigh?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way, cant wait to hear your impressions of the Super Pacific. I debated for a long while which direction I was going to go before choosing the RSI, but those SPC's look damned nice. Where are you located?
Yeah me too! I'll definitely post some pics and thoughts once I get it on the truck later this summer hopefully.

I'm located in Portland, OR, which is where Super Pacific is too. I actually had the opportunity to tour the factory a while back and speak with both Spencer and Peter who founded the company just last year. It's very impressive what they have built in such a short timespan! And they are super cools guys too; they spent a lot of time showing me the build process and what design changes and improvements they have already made since the first few campers were made late last year.

The quality of the build is amazing, and the design is super well though-out, especially in the tent/sleeping area with the modular floor and tons of doors and vents. imo, makes it a better solution than other wedge campers like the GFC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts