Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2008 GMC Canyon 4WD Offroad, and I am looking to get 4" of suspension lift on the front and rear.
I'm not interested in body lifts, and $2k for the Skyjacker kit is not a viable option for me.
I have been on ebay looking at forged torsion keys good for 4", and I am trying to find rear add a leaf kits for the rear that are also good for 4". The 4" torsion keys for the front are easy to find, but the only add a leafs I can find lift only 2". I want something higher than just shackles, which is why i'm interested in an additional leaf. Will getting 2" leaf and 2" shackles give me 4" on the rear?
I am also already planning on getting longer shocks to fill the space. Do i just get shocks that are 4" longer in extended length?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
Dude you are not going to get 4 inches from torsion keys... 3 inches max. You are going to have 0 down travel in the front suspension, cracked upper control arms from them slapping metal when the suspension cycles, broken cv axles and you'll be going thru ball joints and tie rods like crazy... there is a reason 4 inch suspension lifts are so expensive, they add cross members and use longer spindles to keep the ball joints, cv axles and tie rods at the proper angles

I had a 2 inch torsion bar lift on mine and it rode like crap

With a torsion bar lift you dont need longer shocks in front... you are not changing suspension travel,you are just changing the angles of the lower control arm to push the front of the truck up. You are also bringing the front tires in closer to the frame and will possibly have rubbing issues.

For the rear 2 inch shackles and add a leafs should get you about 3.5 to 4 inches depending on the condition of the leaf springs. You will need longer shocks for the rear.

My advice is to use this kit...

And stick to 3 inches max for the front... this kit has the hardware to lower the front differential to correct the CV axle angles and the hardware to flip the upper ball joints with an added spacer to prevent the upper control arm from cracking when the suspension cycles downward. The owner kevin can also advise you on shocks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude you are not going to get 4 inches from torsion keys... 3 inches max. You are going to have 0 down travel in the front suspension, cracked upper control arms from them slapping metal when the suspension cycles, broken cv axles and you'll be going thru ball joints and tie rods like crazy... there is a reason 4 inch suspension lifts are so expensive, they add cross members and use longer spindles to keep the ball joints, cv axles and tie rods at the proper angles

I had a 2 inch torsion bar lift on mine and it rode like crap

With a torsion bar lift you dont need longer shocks in front... you are not changing suspension travel,you are just changing the angles of the lower control arm to push the front of the truck up. You are also bringing the front tires in closer to the frame and will possibly have rubbing issues.

For the rear 2 inch shackles and add a leafs should get you about 3.5 to 4 inches depending on the condition of the leaf springs. You will need longer shocks for the rear
That makes a lot of sense... thank you for the insight! If I do the leaf+shackle on the rear for ~4", whats the best (and most economical) option for the front? There's a well-priced combo kit good for 3.5" that has 2" of suspension lift and 1.5" of body lift, but im really trying to avoid doing body lifts.

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
There is no economical way to get 4 inches of suspension lift in the front. You're going to have to do body lift and that will put you at like 6 inches of lift in the rear if you do leaf+shackle. I would do 3 inches in the front, flip the upper ball joints and lower the front diff. Then do maybe a one inch lift shackle+leaf in the rear. They make shackles that have different holes for different heights

After that you can to a one inch hockey puck body lift that doesnt look bad to get to 4 inches I ya want

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no economical way to get 4 inches of suspension lift in the front. You're going to have to do body lift and that will put you at like 6 inches of lift in the rear if you do leaf+shackle. I would do 3 inches in the front, flip the upper ball joints and lower the front diff. Then do maybe a one inch lift shackle+leaf in the rear. They make shackles that have different holes for different heights

After that you can to a one inch hockey puck body lift that doesnt look bad to get to 4 inches I ya want
Thank you for the help, I really wasn't sure how all this stuff went together previously. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get that 3" kit that you linked above with the add a leaf. Gonna hold off on body lift for now. that kit from badland seems to have everything I need to keep the front end reliable and not chewing through cv joints and tie rods. thanks again, I had never seen the badlands website before. One of the few fabricators that still appreciates the first gens!

·
Super Moderator
5,321 Posts
Thank you for the help, I really wasn't sure how all this stuff went together previously. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get that 3" kit that you linked above with the add a leaf. Gonna hold off on body lift for now. that kit from badland seems to have everything I need to keep the front end reliable and not chewing through cv joints and tie rods. thanks again, I had never seen the badlands website before. One of the few fabricators that still appreciates the first gens!
I know the owner of Badland Industries. Kevin is his name... real good reliable guy... he is a 1st gen owner and knows a lot about these trucks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts