Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Colorado experts.

I have an 06 colorado extended cab. It was hit by a drunk driver in the spring on my from driver side, directly on the wheel. I have since had continuous electrical problems. I have a new alternator, new wiring to and from the alternator, a new battery, new radiator and fan, new ecm (I replaced this trying to troubleshoot the issues), new grill, side panel, new bumper, and new headlight assembly. The accident was significant enough to crack the alternator housing, so I imagine just about anything could be broken, and the insurance company was silly enough to try to fix it instead of replace it. I love my truck, so I don't mind.

Here are the problems, mind you it runs fine except for these issues:
1) I get a low battery light when at idol, or when I down shift too late headed up a steep hill on the highway. This is in the context of a new alternator and battery.
2) When I down shift at highway speeds for a steep hill, my airbag light goes on, I get an abs fault, by air conditioning stops, and my head lights turn off.
3) My camshaft sensor just went out this morning.
4) I did replace the ecm in August after I got a high voltage code. I haven't seen the code again, but thought it worth mentioning.
5) This maybe my bias, but I notice this happening more midday. I think its because I've been driving, the engine is hot, and its shorting out some wires as the wires heat up.

Oddly enough, my fuses are fine... one would think I would blow a fuse given all the electrical issues. Going to the dealership is not an option. I'm a student, so dropping 2K for going without a vehicle for a couple weeks is not an option. I need to fix this on my own.

I found some interesting youtube videos where people similar issues and fixing a ground short fixes the problems, but I don't know where to begin. There are so many things grounded on my truck.

Thoughts? Where do I start? Ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I figured this out. The harness that my O2 sensor plugs into is broken at the anchor point. There is melted plastic where the harness hangs, and touches my engine block. I temporarily taped this in a way to prevent the harness from touching the engine block, took it for a drive, and no low battery light, no abs fault - everything looks fine. I image that engine would heat up driving on mountain highways, and would heat up the wires in the o2 sensor that were touching. This would interfere with the voltage reading coming from the o2 sensor, and potentially cause high voltage and a broad system wide short. Or so I think. Im going to work on replacing the O2 sensor, and hopefully my issues will be resolved for good. Let me know if anyone thinks differently. I would appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I think I figured this out. The harness that my O2 sensor plugs into is broken at the anchor point. There is melted plastic where the harness hangs, and touches my engine block. I temporarily taped this in a way to prevent the harness from touching the engine block, took it for a drive, and no low battery light, no abs fault - everything looks fine. I image that engine would heat up driving on mountain highways, and would heat up the wires in the o2 sensor that were touching. This would interfere with the voltage reading coming from the o2 sensor, and potentially cause high voltage and a broad system wide short. Or so I think. Im going to work on replacing the O2 sensor, and hopefully my issues will be resolved for good. Let me know if anyone thinks differently. I would appreciate the advice.
Chances are, with the shock the truck received getting hit you may also want to do the following. These things get corroded all by themselves and an accident can aggrivate them.

You have a Gen I 2006 Colorado, so also check the ground terminal points under the hood. There is one near the driver side near top rear of the fender and another on the passenger side I think on the firewall under sort of a partial plastic cover. Take the connections off, clean rust, paint corrosion off under them, clean, clean, clean the terminal conntacts themselves , and apply some silicone dielectric grease. Then reassemble with w *star* type lock washer to assure good contact.

Pictures of these ground points are well known so just do a search with Google or here online.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
the repairs are still covered by insurance even if you picked the truck up after they were initially finished. not everything is obvious as you found out. take it to a gm dealer and let them find it and they'll direct bill the insurance

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
GraniteBlue05, that is a great suggestion. I did this last weekend, and found rust. I appreciate the suggestion.

As far as the O2 sensor heating up, this was 100% the problem. All of the electrical issues have gone away since I fixed the wire clip, and got this off my engine. Its now November, and I'm electrical issue free!

However, if anyone has a camshaft actuator, PM me... just got the p0017 code and replacing the two sensors didn't fix it. Time to replace the timing components.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What GraniteBlue05 said works. I had a first gen Colly that over time developed random electrical issues. I unhooked those two ground packs, cleaned area around the stud down to bare metal, used the star washer and dielectric grease and all the issues went away.

As far as gremlins after being in an accident, yeah they're real. Because no matter how much work the shop does or how many parts they replace the vehicle will NEVER be the same.

The truck I drive for work is a 2008 Kenworth T370 that was involved in a head-on collision (other vehicle crossed the median). Ever since the accident the truck has major issues.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
On the left (and also right) inner fender is a black square box about 1.5" x 1.5 " with a bunch of black wires going into the bottom It is mounted with one horizontal bolt. That is one of the main ground splice packs. The bolt and its connection to the fender supplies ground for many things. I suggest that you remove the bolt clean the inner fender and the tab and reinstall it again with tooth (star) washer between the tab and the fender. The is an identical one on the right inner fender behind the lower air cleaner housing. Since the accident was in that area on the left I suggest that is the one with the failure. If that does not fix it then remove the bolt again and pry the top off of the box. inside you will find all of the wire terminations. Look for a loose or burned one.

If you want to see a picture of the box search here for SP106 or SP105 or fan failures. That box has been pictured many times in postings on this forum.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
On the left (and also right) inner fender is a black square box about 1.5" x 1.5 " with a bunch of black wires going into the bottom It is mounted with one horizontal bolt. That is one of the main ground splice packs. The bolt and its connection to the fender supplies ground for many things. I suggest that you remove the bolt clean the inner fender and the tab and reinstall it again with tooth (star) washer between the tab and the fender. The is an identical one on the right inner fender behind the lower air cleaner housing. Since the accident was in that area on the left I suggest that is the one with the failure. If that does not fix it then remove the bolt again and pry the top off of the box. inside you will find all of the wire terminations. Look for a loose or burned one.

If you want to see a picture of the box search here for SP106 or SP105 or fan failures. That box has been pictured many times in postings on this forum.
Agreed . this was mentioned in post #3 above and the OP found the points rusted so he cleaned and greased them as in his reply post #5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.