Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 08 crew cab and I want to upgrade my system. First off I'm a rocker so I don't need super bass that will make me crap my pants :shock: . I just want clean sound with a good punch to it. I would like to spend under $2000. I know what headunit I want (kenwood dvd). I had stock infinity speakers in my last ride and like them so I was looking at putting kappa 607cs components in the front and 63.7 3-way co-axials in the rear. Is it bad to mix component and co-axial speaker? I would put comps in the back too but I can't bring myself to drilling a hole in my door panels to mount the tweeter. If I did add a sub I would get a mtx thunderform and a kicker cvt10 and run the whole system with a 5 channel amp like kicker zx700.5. Any advice or experience with these product would be apreciated. Are there any speakers ran at full potential that would fit in our doors and have ok bass? jl audio or mb quart ??

·
Registered
545 Posts
comps with an amp will get you a decent amount of punch. i know mine do (DLS UP6i) with 100 watts rms.
i would keep the stockers in the rear and run them off the head unit. i would keep it faded to the fronts unless i have passengers.

for the money you save doing that, get a better set of comps perhaps? or spend it on a head unit? for 2000 you can have a really great system.

id say, get a deck you want (go to a local audio store and play with a few) and get an amp and comps up front. see if you get the amount of bass you want. if not, add subs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
you must have had a dodge to have factory infinity, i had it it mine. souded good. but infinity is not exactly the best as far as aftermarket go, if you want a really good sound, go with the boston acoustic pros for a componet set...the are about $400 but worth every dime...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
183 Posts
if you completely deaden your doors with a product like Second Skin or Dynamat Extreme and have good after market speakers in there it will make all the difference in the world. I added a sub also but honestly most people would have been more than happy with just upgraded speakers, I can't say enough about the difference the second Skin made it really brought the mid bass to life

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shorty- Cool. All I've ever had was kenwood HU's and like them all so I decided on that pritty easy. I'm just trying to avoid changing my game plan. I usually do alot of research, find what I want and live with it. So I don't want to buy a amp and then want a sub and have to buy another to run my whole system( I only want to run 1 amp)

Coolbro- Yea I had a 300m with infinity. I thought it sounded pritty good for stock. I also have a infinity surround system at home. I've read alot of good stuff about boston ac. but havn't heard them before. I'll have to check them out

Rick- Sweet. I've seen people talking about that dynamat before. I'll have to do some research on it. Do u put it on the inside of the door or just behind the panel where the plastic sheet is? How long does it take to do a door. Do you have to take the guts out of the door? How much does it cost?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After doing some research and taking advice I have decided I'm not going to add a sub. Instead I think I'll spend the money and buy some quailty components like jl audio C5-650's and power them with jl 300/4 amp. Do u think I'll have any problems mounting these? they have a 2.54" mounting depth. Crutchfield says they only fit in the rear doors. Anyone have these in there doors or heard them?

·
Registered
545 Posts
my speakers have a 2.5" mounting depth, there room in there, i used the factory baffle tho. if you dont use the factory baffle, or make one, they wont fit.

as rick said, sound deadener...
i put it on both skins of the front doors i still have a bit of rattle at higher volumes, so i think i may put some on the plastic in certain spots. the doors took me about 3 hours each. i was doing it in n unheated garage in canadian winter :p so i had to warm everything good before applying it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
nwz71 said:
Rick- Sweet. I've seen people talking about that dynamat before. I'll have to do some research on it. Do u put it on the inside of the door or just behind the panel where the plastic sheet is? How long does it take to do a door. Do you have to take the guts out of the door? How much does it cost?
I used Second Skin Damplifier which is comparable to Dynamat Extreme but priced cheaper. I did the outer door skin and the inter door skin, I sealed off the inter skin so I left the plastic sheet out. You don't take the guts out you just work through the holes in the door.

My first order was for 80^ft and that did the entire rear wall, floor, and both front doors inter and outer skin. I ordered and just received 30^ft more that I'll do the rear doors with and possibly part or all of the roof depending on how much I have left. I just need so warm weather or a garage to finish up

The front doors took me about 1.5hr each to do, for me they where much faster / easier than the floor.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibratio ... lifier.php

It's not the cheapest but I'm a believer it's worth every penny.

Read this if you are truly interested in sound deadening

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the sound deadener and maybe try it when it warms up. now i just have to find a wiring adapter for my HU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts