Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
687 Posts
Since you live in the same general area as me, sounds like I'm passing on getting a stubby! Ive been going back and forth do I want to try it. It would strictly be cosmetic for me as clearance is never an issue.
Others on here have said that the fish pole is not the XM antenna...that it uses another antenna. Not sure where that would be located or if this is factual.

· Registered
29 Posts
Others on here have said that the fish pole is not the XM antenna...that it uses another antenna. Not sure where that would be located or if this is factual.
How does your FM hold up around concord/charlotte? Im guessing the XM is the base, kind of like shark fin on the full size picks ups.

· Registered
687 Posts
How does your FM hold up around concord/charlotte? Im guessing the XM is the base, kind of like shark fin on the full size picks ups.
To be honest I rarely listen to FM radio because I pay for XM...but the short time I have cut over to it, by accident really, it was coming in fine. The stations in Charlotte are pretty strong signal so I doubt you will have issues in town. If you are going to have issues it will be when you go 20 to 30 miles outside of town. I got the Stubby Jr. for looks as well, if I want to park my truck in the garage it has no problems clearing it.

· Registered
321 Posts
I took my stock antenna off this morning to see how it would do.

Actually did really well picking up all my stations...

I'll go another week or so, but if it stays the same I will get one.

The stubby is probably not much better than no antenna.

· Registered
132 Posts
Has anyone tried using a shark fin antenna instead? I personally think they look the best.

Another note, been using my OEM since day one, I've came close to some clearance issues but never hit anything yet. As for reception loss, evertime I get around tall buildings or go under an overpass I have signal loss. Get's really annoying so local channels or streaming music from my phone takes it's turn at that time.

· Registered
56 Posts
I hate the look of the stock antenna, as soon as I got home from purchasing from the dealership I removed it. Antenna looks so out of place. I've had it removed for 2 months now and had no issues with radio reception. I've had a visual garage sharkfin on my older mazda 3 and liked the look and function. But $100 plus for an antenna is a waste of money

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

· Registered
54 Posts
Why not revive a four year old thread? I’m now occasionally parking in a garage with 6’-8” clearance, which would be fine because my truck is about 6’-6” to the top of the stock antenna, and it’s flexible, BUT there are sprinkler heads that hang down about 2”, including one centered behind my space, and I’m convinced I’ll back out one day and snag open that sprinkler with the antenna. There is still some almost passable reception with the stock antenna removed so I’m hoping the Stubby Jr. will improve that.

· Registered
1,815 Posts
Agree since old thread revised I'll add that I just put the stubby jr. on my truck last week. I lost a few of the distant stations when I parked same place and did a comparison test before and after but none of the local ones. It looks so much better and will not affect anything else except FM. Personally I could care less about the FM. Who the hell listens to FM anymore?

· Registered
79 Posts
I tried the stubby.....diminished reception for me......so I shortened the factory antenna and no issues w/ diminished reception!

· Registered
10,320 Posts
I've had the Subby for a year and a half, I live in a bigger city so reception hasn't been an issue.
Is this your video?

I live in the city but drive long distances, loose AM and FM stations earlier with the stubby, but I still run it

· Registered
7,844 Posts
61 - 73 of 73 Posts