Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
My stock antenna unscrewed by hand surprisingly easily. Picked up the stubby (or shorty JR) from cravenspeed.com for $23 shipped. No change in reception so far.
You could always stash the other antenna in the glove box and swap it out on-the-fly if reception diminishes. My guess is that given the location that the antenna is on the truck, you won't see any noticeable difference though. The roof creates a good ground plane and as long as the short antenna is tuned properly, it should work nearly as well.

· Registered
121 Posts
What was wrong with the stock antenna?
Some people have short garage doors, and the antenna sticks up too far to pull in. Others have mentioned issues when trying to carry cargo up top. Some think its an eyesore.

Reactions: GeorgeT451

· Registered
847 Posts
My stock antenna unscrewed by hand surprisingly easily. Picked up the stubby (or shorty JR) from cravenspeed.com for $23 shipped. No change in reception so far.
The smaller antenna availability was the first pearl I gleaned from this forum. Glad I joined. I can't use my garage with the OEM antenna and every morning I have to unbury the truck from the snow. Getting tired of that chore. With the 'circumcised' unit I will be able to use my garage again.

· Registered
121 Posts
Does anyone know how tall the trucks are with the stock antenna? I'm starting to worry that mine won't fit when I get it.

Or, those of you who couldn't use your garage before the antenna swap....how tall is your door opening?

· Registered
13,084 Posts
I stuck the factory antenna with the tire changing tools in case I need it.

Reactions: garymikey1982

· Registered
767 Posts
Does anyone know how tall the trucks are with the stock antenna? I'm starting to worry that mine won't fit when I get it.

Or, those of you who couldn't use your garage before the antenna swap....how tall is your door opening?
If memory serves me right (I had the same concern) someone here gave a measurement of 78" or 79. I know mine just barely touched and my garage was right at 79". I had the shorty ordered, but they temporarily ran out for a few days, so for a couple of days I had momma gently push up on the back of the door until it came in......only a couple of days so I managed.

· Registered
104 Posts
my stock antenna just grazes the rubber strip on my garage door when open. Hasn't seem to show any damage but I've been keeping an eye on it. If the stubby is only 20 bucks I might make the jump just for peace of mind. I have not measured my garage door when open so not sure what the height is currently. If I remember tonight I'll measure it.

· Registered
739 Posts
Stock antenna was about 1.5-2 inches too tall to get into the garage. I found my reception to be a little spotty with the factory one, until I realized it wasn't screwed down tight. The stubby I got gives me clearance to get in and out of the garage... but I wish it were flexible, like the factory mast.

· Registered
147 Posts
Ten bucks at Auto Zone. Put one on my Can Am Spyder RT Limited.

· Registered
896 Posts
My garage door is a very standard 8' Wide X 7' High. No clearance problems at all with the stock antenna.

· Registered
383 Posts
Payload, Just buy a new house with a taller opening and you can retain original antenna :) I never even thought of the antenna as an issue and simply drove in the garage...apparently it clears.

· Registered
767 Posts
Just looked at a post the other day here on the forum where some poor guy ripped his out on the garage door....originally I caught mine one day also, but just barely. So yes worth every penny, and I have no noticeable reception issues. Perhaps if I lived out in the pucker brush some place it would have different performance, but I just put the OEM under the seat with the tire tools should I ever feel a need. So many options for music I can't imagine ever the need.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts