Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison CCSB 3.6L
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR: is the only way to upgrade the fogs on the ZR2 Bison while keeping them street legal to upgrade the bulbs?

So, in this thread I was looking into upgrading my lighting for sketchy fire roads/softroading and several people recommended keeping street legal fogs since it's my daily driver as well. Looks like all of the street legal aftermarket options (like the SS3 from Diode Dynamics or the SAE squadron from Baja) are 3", and AEV fit a 5" light. So is the best move here to just get one of the aftermarket LED bulbs?

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Buy the led fog light bulbs that Supernova sell,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy the led fog light bulbs that Supernova sell, see if I can find the link to them

well back oorder until next year

Supernova LEDs V.4 Headlights Supernova LEDs V.4 Headlights Supernova LEDs V.4 Headlights
View more images

Fog Light Front - Supernova V.4 LEDs (PAIR)

A PAIR of 8000 Lumen Supernova V.4 Fog Light Front LED kit for your 2017 Chevrolet Colorado.
Backordered until 1/25/21
I was thinking about going with the Diode Dynamics SL1 bulb because its in stock and made the USA. I believe it's the same LED under the hood.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
My bad, I thought you were asking for recommendations

Like Snipsey mentioned and you already now, most after market fog light bulbs are the same as headlight bulbs, hince the DD SL1's you are buying..

had a guy for the last couple weeks, he would be coming at me with his bright lights on, I would flash him and he would put the low beams on an his fogs would come on and they were brighter then his brights... so after that I just left my brights on so he would not "dim" his lights

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
489 Posts
Just a heads up. The moment you change from the halogen it is no longer J583 SAE DOT rated lighting. The reflector system in it is designed for a halogen light with light radiating from a filament in a full glass enclosure. No led can reproduce the same light pattern.

So unless you replace the entire housing with a J583 rated led fog light you won't be staying with the code anyway.

Here is a kit from AEV to mount aftermarket led kits with no drill installation.

Maybe this will be more what you are looking for but keep in mind I don't know if there is a J583 rated fog light out there for this mounting. However it's likely the best way to improve the lighting in that spot with a factory look but led.

Devin

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you go on BajaDesigns website, and take a look at the specs for their SAE fog kits, you'll see there is little difference between those and their sport line.

Amber Wide Cornering SAE fog:
Lumens: 2,480 Utilizing 4 Cree LEDs
Compliance Standard: SAE Standard J583
Wattage/Amps: 22W / 1.6A
Dimensions: 3.07" x 2.77" x 3.07"
Weight: 12 ounces
LED Life Expectancy: 49,930 Hours

Amber wide cornering XLR sports (can be used with the AEV brackets and fit perfectly:
Lumens: 3,150 Utilizing 4 LEDs
Wattage/Amps: 26W / 2A
Dimensions: 5.24" x 3.65" x 5.24"
Weight: 2.45 lbs
LED Life Expectancy: 49,930 Hours

So they are about 27% brighter, if you install them with sPOD or the like, you can dim them 25% and save that setting, then you increase them when off-road.

If they are aimed correctly, I highly doubt someone would be off put by 25% more brightness and if you go the amber color lens it would be even more diffused to the eye than bright white light.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bad, I thought you were asking for recommendations

Like Snipsey mentioned and you already now, most after market fog light bulbs are the same as headlight bulbs, hince the DD SL1's you are buying..

had a guy for the last couple weeks, he would be coming at me with his bright lights on, I would flash him and he would put the low beams on an his fogs would come on and they were brighter then his brights... so after that I just left my brights on so he would not "dim" his lights
No I am open to recs. I'm just a bit impatient too :) (and DD has 15% off).

Just a heads up. The moment you change from the halogen it is no longer J583 SAE DOT rated lighting. The reflector system in it is designed for a halogen light with light radiating from a filament in a full glass enclosure. No led can reproduce the same light pattern.

So unless you replace the entire housing with a J583 rated led fog light you won't be staying with the code anyway.

Here is a kit from AEV to mount aftermarket led kits with no drill installation.

Maybe this will be more what you are looking for but keep in mind I don't know if there is a J583 rated fog light out there for this mounting. However it's likely the best way to improve the lighting in that spot with a factory look but led.

Devin

As far as I can tell there is no street legal 5" fog light. There are plenty of 3" ones. I was hoping that somebody here would know of one but it seems like I'm SOL. I'm fine with the LED replacement bulb as long as it passes the sniff test and isn't obnoxious to other drivers.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2 as it came from the factory
489 Posts
No I am open to recs. I'm just a bit impatient too :) (and DD has 15% off).

As far as I can tell there is no street legal 5" fog light. There are plenty of 3" ones. I was hoping that somebody here would know of one but it seems like I'm SOL. I'm fine with the LED replacement bulb as long as it passes the sniff test and isn't obnoxious to other drivers.
Work an led in a halogen housing I would probably avoid using them with any oncoming traffic. Basically like you would with high beams. If it was me, and money wasn't an issue, I would do full led housings. They are purpose built for the LEDs in them. Best optical patterns and such. Of course I would likely be next year before you would get any of it

Reactions: spoonman

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What about a 4 inch?

at least it wont be as small as a 3 inch

And i know they are different sizes, but if the bison fogs are similar to the non bison fogs, sticking an LED will just glare the light everywhere

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have been running the DD SL1's (in yellow) in my stock fog light housings for over two years now. No one flashes me and they do provide some wide road light up and reflect those pesky deer eyes very well. Ditch lights for really dark nights on the back roads for deer detection work very well too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been running the DD SL1's (in yellow) in my stock fog light housings for over two years now. No one flashes me and they do provide some wide road light up and reflect those pesky deer eyes very well. Ditch lights for really dark nights on the back roads for deer detection work very well too.
I'm going to try the SL1's, see how it aims. If the pattern looks OK, it'll pass inspection here. I think eventually I'll put in the XL-R's. If it turns out I don't really use fogs, I might eventually put in the XL-R's. I also grabbed some SS3's for ditch lights which I desperately need for the deer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well hang on a minute, it really depends where you buy the bulbs from. Diode Dynamics SL1s match and enhance the beam pattern.

Water Sky Road surface Freezing Rectangle

Water Rectangle Window Road surface Floor

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

So yeah, if the manufacturer just slaps some LEDs on a bulb replacement it probably won't maintain SAE standards

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Well hang on a minute, it really depends where you buy the bulbs from. Diode Dynamics SL1s match and enhance the beam pattern.

View attachment 419098

View attachment 419099

View attachment 419100

So yeah, if the manufacturer just slaps some LEDs on a bulb replacement it probably won't maintain SAE standards

Are those fogs?

The height makes me think they are headlights (and headlights behind a projector lens that can shape light output vs reflector lenses)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts