Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. before you attack. Yes I have searched and am more confused that ever as a result.

What is the largest tire size I can put on my 16' Canyon All Terrain ( currently on 255/65/17's) without adding a lift or leveling kit?

What is the largest tire size if I put a 1.5" leveling kit on?

Thanks for any straight talk you can offer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes 2016 Canyon AT. Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid that it does not answer the question.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Everything I have read says 265/65/17 stock with zero issues. 265/70/17 with minor rubbing, more rubbing the more aggressive tire you go. A front spacer would allow 265/70/17s with no rubbing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yes 2016 Canyon AT. Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid that it does not answer the question.
No, but your title asks about the stock tires. You can find the size of the stock tires and compare what you might want to those.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry - I meant the largest tire that can be used on a stock truck set up. Stock wheels, stock suspension.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks GANCAN, you have answered the first part of my question. Now who knows what size tire I could go up to if I install a 1.5 leveling kit?

·
Registered
372 Posts
People seen to forget there are two dimensions to consider. Everyone see to focus on overall diameter only, whereas tire width has a max limit too. And a combination of both width and diameter can produce some results that can fit.

In my case I was interested in maintaining the stock, or close to stock, overall diameter with stock wheels.

My original tire size was 255/65-17. I think those were the 7.5" Z-71 wheels. They were right at 30" overall diameter.

I found some 18" Colorado rims (I think these are 8.0" rims) and went with 285/55-18 rubber for a diameter of 30.3" Basically he same diameter as the original setup, but around 1.25" wider.

No clearance issues with the 285's but that's about the max width I think one could go with stock wheels and suspension. Tires look and ride great. Thought I'd try a wide tire stance for a change. I do mostly highway miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Without trimming or anything else on stock rims:
Completely stock 265/65/17
With a 2" leveling kit 265/70/17 or 255/75/17 (Less tire options)
The 265/70/17 is about an 1" taller and .4" wider than the 265/65/17... stock tire is about .5" shorter than the 265/65/17.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i know what you meant

i'm running 265/65 18 (cooper at3) on stock wheels with the zone 1.25 lift (spacer)

very minor rubbing at full turn

Haven't inspected to see where the rubbing is

hope this helps :laugh:

·
Registered
49 Posts
i know what you meant

i'm running 265/65 18 (cooper at3) on stock wheels with the zone 1.25 lift (spacer)

very minor rubbing at full turn

Haven't inspected to see where the rubbing is

hope this helps :laugh:

If you stay with the same width you can run a taller tire. I have 255 75 17 duratracs with a 2” rc leveling kit. By jumping to a 265 you can’t run as large of a tire. Stock I would think a 255 70 17 would fit, it may be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
People seen to forget there are two dimensions to consider. Everyone see to focus on overall diameter only, whereas tire width has a max limit too. And a combination of both width and diameter can produce some results that can fit....
No clearance issues with the 285's but that's about the max width I think one could go with stock wheels and suspension. Tires look and ride great. Thought I'd try a wide tire stance for a change. I do mostly highway miles.

Keep in mind that those 18" wheels probably have an offset closer to 25mm, as opposed to the 33mm of the 17" wheels. 8mm is essentially 1/3", so the mounting surface moves 8mm closer the to truck relative to the rest of the wheel (which moves 8mm outwards). If you tried mounting 285's on the 17", without installing a spacer, that wider tire would end up being 15mm (5/8") closer to the suspension/frame.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Keep in mind that those 18" wheels probably have an offset closer to 25mm, as opposed to the 33mm of the 17" wheels. 8mm is essentially 1/3", so the mounting surface moves 8mm closer the to truck relative to the rest of the wheel (which moves 8mm outwards). If you tried mounting 285's on the 17", without installing a spacer, that wider tire would end up being 15mm (5/8") closer to the suspension/frame.
All Gen 2 stock wheels (16", 17", 18") appear to be a +33mm offset.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/colorado/2017/

Not sure it would make sense to have different offsets for factory wheels for a particular model.

Scrub radius would be different for each wheel. You'd have different alignment specs (camber, toe, caster) for each wheel offset.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I want to know the same thing but with a 20 inch wheel. I just get yelled at when I ask. Not to hijack but same question. What’s max tire size on a 20 inch wheel and what offset do I need to make it work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All Gen 2 stock wheels (16", 17", 18") appear to be a +33mm offset.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/chevrolet/colorado/2017/

Not sure it would make sense to have different offsets for factory wheels for a particular model.

Scrub radius would be different for each wheel. You'd have different alignment specs (camber, toe, caster) for each wheel offset.
The wheel size URL really helps and then start the truck, crank the steering to the max, tie it off with a rope and get under the wheel well and look. Take measurements, go back to wheel size and play with the parameters. It's fun and educational. I got 285/75 16s on mine with a level kit, some wheel well trimming, and 1" spacers and a bunch of doing what I just said.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Getting confusing info searching is going to yield the same info with a new thread, which is why people get upset with so many of the same threads asking the same questions popping up. If one person says a 265/70/18 doesn't rub stock yet another person says it does what does a new thread bring to the table? You still have two people saying two different things, are they going to say something different in a new thread? There are so many variables even down to build tolerances from the truck to the tire themselves. Best is to just search all the threads, gather all the info you can and make a decision that best fits what you think will work as there will not be a right or wrong answer. With something so subjective with so many parameters that matter in the measurements that is the way to get an answer, not a new thread...

Tyler

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad this resurfaced.

Consensus is 265/65/17 seems to be fine. I never saw a definite answer on the 255/70/17. One member thought it would be close, Does anybody know for sure (stock '16 All Terrain)?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts