Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Theives are the lowest form of scum.

Maybe they were just disenfranchised and needed a tire for their car so they could go vote, if so I am sure they will return it...

Reactions: gglplex and MV10

·
Registered
748 Posts
Damn that sucks. I can't even imagine the spare is worth much at a pawn shop or flea market. It's a stock steel rim after all....bummer. Sorry to hear about your luck.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Anyone else have this happen?

I’m curious, how and when did you first notice it was missing? Hopefully it wasn’t when you needed it. Now that would have REALLY SUCKED!

Gusto!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Considering the uncommon bolt pattern, I'd be watching Cragislist for awhile.

Heck, it's Chicago, if you shoot them, nobody will even notice! :D

Reactions: Gashuffer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not on the Colorado, but I've had a spare fall out from under my vehicle without warning. Fortunately, I wasn't going fast and saw it in the rear view. The cable failed where the part that holds the tire was fastened. I reattached with a wire rope clamp, and it's been holding for over 5 years. You may have enough cable left in the housing so you won't have to replace the reel. As long as there is enough cable to reach the ground, you would only need a new spare and the part to goes through the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but that cable looks pretty mangled. You sure it was stolen?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed it when I was topping off the air pressure in my tires. With the cold weather they were low. This could have happened anywhere in the Midwest. I travel around Illinois, Indiana and Ohio all the time and stay in some sketchy areas. This probably happened within the last month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard to tell from the pic, but that cable looks pretty mangled. You sure it was stolen?
Well the cable is pointing straight down. I figured they snipped part of it and/or spun the rest until it broke. If the tire had dangled and fell off while driving I doubt the cable would be that straight. I would think it would have done some banging around before falling. Also for a cable to spin itself sounds highly unlikely.

I cannot rule out that the tire may have fallen off but it would seem highly unlikely. That is why I wanted to post and see if anyone else has had this happen. Has anyone checked the cable on yours lately?

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Well the cable is pointing straight down. I figured they snipped part of it and/or spun the rest until it broke. If the tire had dangled and fell off while driving I doubt the cable would be that straight. I would think it would have done some banging around before falling. Also for a cable to spin itself sounds highly unlikely.

I cannot rule out that the tire may have fallen off but it would seem highly unlikely. That is why I wanted to post and see if anyone else has had this happen. Has anyone checked the cable on yours lately?
The only reason I question it being stolen is that the little winch and cable are enclosed behind the wheel/tire when it's mounted up there, in order to get to the cable to cut it the tire would have to be lowered and at that point they could've just removed the spare off of the retainer without cutting anything, but maybe they didn't know that. Thieves aren't known to be the smartest people. :)

Maybe they somehow forced the wheel down to get to the cable, but I'd expect the little winch to break.

Anyway, not saying one way or the other. Who knows what someone would do to try and steal a spare. I also would've expected you to notice if something caused it to fall off while driving.

That said, you make an interesting point about it being spun until the cable broke. It's entirely possible that the tire wasn't tight against the underside and the wind was causing it to spin as you drove before it finally fell off. With how quiet/insulated these trucks are I don't know that you'd hear/feel a light bump from the tire being a little loose?

Sucks regardless and I'm just bored while waiting for others to do their work so don't mind me. :) Hope you get an answer and find a cheaper fix/replacement!

·
Vendor
415 Posts
I'll send you my unused spare and the spare winch assembly of the cost of shipping if you want. Tips welcomed but not necessary. ?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone sell a Lock?

I had similar happen to me, but I was on a long trip...
I figured I lost it on the Highway, maybe someone stole mine too.
I replaced with a Real Factory Rim, and Tire when I did my next Tire Change and purchased 5 Tires.
Sorry to here...

Keith,
Marietta, GA

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.