Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock tires have about 28k on them now. I've noticed that they basically suck when the roads are just wet. Last year when they were brand new I didn't notice it as much. I know trucks are light in the back but I've had some serious sliding around happening. Do they suck that bad or are these trucks more prone to breaking traction? I think this may be my excuse to upgrade as it scared the crap out of my wife.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Idk if it’s the tire or the truck my lt with the fortitudes would spin in the rain but I upgraded to the z71 wheels and tires got some takeoffs cheap and I’ve been real happy with the adventurers great traction for me but results will vary depending on driving habits and tire wear. All tires loose traction as they get older the rubber gets harder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most the models of Goodyear tires have earned their nickname of "Good for a Year" tires. I did manage to get 2 good winters out of a set of Silent Armors in the past. Hopefully I'll get at least 2 good winters out of the Duratracs, but we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I've had other trucks in the past and this one is just loose. Must be the tires.
Could be 300 HP with a small, light truck too.:grin2:

Reactions: egatoprop

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My stock tires have about 28k on them now. I've noticed that they basically suck when the roads are just wet. Last year when they were brand new I didn't notice it as much.
Does that mean they still sucked last year, but not as bad? Tell us more about the truck: What tires? 2x4 or 4x4? SB or LB? Empty or some weight in the back? What tire pressure? Locking or open diff?

I have a fiberglass cap and a bed drawer, and a locking diff. I have the stock Goodyear Adventurer all-terrains at 39psi and I don't have a traction problem at all, no matter what the weather is. I have about the same mileage that you do.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
At that mileage you are probably pretty close to 5/32nds tread depth which isnt going to offer great traction in wet conditions. I swapped mine out at 20k because I wasn't happy with the lateral traction when the roads were wet. The truck had a tendancy to want to oversteer on wet twisty roads. If it feels unsafe then add weight to the rear end or buy new tires with better on-road traction.

·
Read Only
76 Posts
At that mileage you are probably pretty close to 5/32nds tread depth which isnt going to offer great traction in wet conditions. I swapped mine out at 20k because I wasn't happy with the lateral traction when the roads were wet. The truck had a tendancy to want to oversteer on wet twisty roads. If it feels unsafe then add weight to the rear end or buy new tires with better on-road traction.
Wet traction was the least of my concerns-
Constant correcting and over correcting- especially on lane changes. Extremely hard, jarring uneven ride, and very noisy.

Chris

·
Registered
380 Posts
Constant correcting and over correcting- especially on lane changes. Extremely hard, jarring uneven ride, and very noisy.

Chris
Did you have your front end aligned when you got new tires? I?m asking because mine never felt right from brand new and I just had mine done. Holy crap it tracks so much better now. From brand new, I was always constantly correcting To stay in my lane on the hwy. now it tracks super straight. I love my Goodyear Adventure Kevlars. I only have 10k miles on them, hopefully I continue to like them. They are super smooth and have great traction. They seem
to be wearing well too. Definitely one of the best all terrain tires I?ve had.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I absolutely hated my stock Z71 tires. I was able to deal with them until 30,000 miles... then I got my wildpeaks and found out how much traction I have been missing. Rain performance really sucked on them.

Reactions: 286642

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts

Chris
Gotcha. Sounds like a bad tire or very uneven wear. Even at 5/32nds mine tracked perfectly, wear quiet compared to the Duratrac and didn't feel hard for an AT tire. Glad you're new tires corrected all that. :)

FWIW, this morning I drove to work in light rain and my Duratracs at 12/32nds (1 at 10/32nds) exhibited the same tendency to oversteer on the winding roads in my neighborhood. Time to add weight to the bed I guess. After 10yrs away from driving pickups I forgot how loose the rear can be. :)

Reactions: 286642

·
Registered
251 Posts
Worst tires ever. We are at 41K miles and they have worn very irregularly and have horrible road noise. Nothing was done under warranty for obvious reasons. I am expecting to have something sportier (like Nitto 420S) in the Spring.

·
Read Only
76 Posts
Did you have your front end aligned when you got new tires? I?m asking because mine never felt right from brand new and I just had mine done. Holy crap it tracks so much better now. From brand new, I was always constantly correcting To stay in my lane on the hwy. now it tracks super straight. I love my Goodyear Adventure Kevlars. I only have 10k miles on them, hopefully I continue to like them. They are super smooth and have great traction. They seem
to be wearing well too. Definitely one of the best all terrain tires I?ve had.
I had it lined up n the old tires a couple of months ago. I had dealer go through front end after expressing the looseness and bad ride. Of course they claim they had not seen this issue. To be fair- I do not see many Colorados there period.

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.