Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am most likely going to stick with the stock wheels on the z71 diesel at least for the time being. the sort of roads ill be on can be very demanding on trucks so good tires is crucial. my question is what kind of options would I have for tire sizes keeping wheels and suspension Stock? I'm really tired of my 2500hd with 6.5 lift so im thinking I'd prefer to keep suspension stock and see how the truck performs. perhaps eventually going to an 18 inch wheel is something I should consider. I also don't want to deal with and tire rub or the additional expense I
of 17" wheels/tires vs 18" config. another reason I'm moving away from my 2500hd with 20" wheels. I'm tired of $$$$$$$$ :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Stock wheels (on my truck) are 17". That's a good combination of ride and durability. You wouldn't want to go any smaller. 16" wheels would give you a taller side wall, and a little smoother ride. But that limits you on tire selection. Taller wheels - 18-20" - are going to stiffen the ride, and starts to limit tire selection a little bit.

E rated tires are certainly not needed for these trucks, because you should never load them heavy enough to get close to the tire load limits. But the E rated tires have deeper treads, thicker rubber, and more plies. It's a tougher and more durable tire, but it does provide a slightly rougher ride. Life's full of trade offs.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I read through a bit of the lifted thread and I think a 1.25 or 2 levelling kit and a 265/70/17 tire might be the way I want to go.
I agree and some have done 265/70/17 with no lift and not rubbing depending on the tire.

What gets me is my previous 2010 Colorado Z71 came with full size 265/70-17 Duellers and fit fine with no rubbing. The Bridgestone Duellers had good wet, snow, and dry traction and were smooth riding. I currently have the "Wrankler" Adventurer Kevlar Z71 tires and they ride much firmer. We still have the 2010 in the family with a set of brand new BS Duellers and I would take that tire over the Wranglers.

I drove the 2010 for 7 years and almost 60,000 miles with the first set of Duellers.

Reactions: Cody1707
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.