Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That would be interesting to try.

I notice V4 mode on my V8 Camaro quite a bit on the highway, but only seem to get V4 mode on my Canyon when coasting

Bill
It is easier to drop cylinders on larger engines. This is why they came out with the new systems that can vary the cylinders. This is what they use on the 4 cylinder to drop cylinders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That would be interesting to try.

I notice V4 mode on my V8 Camaro quite a bit on the highway, but only seem to get V4 mode on my Canyon when coasting

Bill
Well, you're talking about basically a 3.1L engine vs a 2.4 when comparing the displacements. Tack onto that the extra weight and worse aerodynamics of a truck.

I am surprised how rarely mine goes into V4 mode particularly on the highway - seems to do it more around town at light throttle. But I still got 23mpg at a steady 70 this past week with <1K miles so probably should improve after further break in. It does get the best highway mpg of all my vehicles now...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Our V6's arent going to turn on the highway going 75 mph. Too much power needed to move the weight and fight the air resistance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is easier to drop cylinders on larger engines. This is why they came out with the new systems that can vary the cylinders. This is what they use on the 4 cylinder to drop cylinders.
Well, you're talking about basically a 3.1L engine vs a 2.4 when comparing the displacements. Tack onto that the extra weight and worse aerodynamics of a truck.

I am surprised how rarely mine goes into V4 mode particularly on the highway - seems to do it more around town at light throttle. But I still got 23mpg at a steady 70 this past week with <1K miles so probably should improve after further break in. It does get the best highway mpg of all my vehicles now...
My thoughts exactly - 4550 lbs and 22 lb/HP for my Canyon - 3750 lbs and 16.5 lb/HP for my Camaro - blunt object vs. aerodynamic shape (the engineer in me)

Bill

·
Registered
931 Posts
You need a tuner to change the parameters for the V4 activation. It is not a learning system, so if you see it activate more as the truck gets more miles, its because you have adapted your driving style.

However, as everyone has said, the v4 mode is not likely to save you much impg f any with this vehicle, maybe the non zr2's are more aero friendly, but the zr2's have a hard time as it is staying in 8th gear, even 7th gear at free way speeds on anything but a down hill. There is such a small and specific situation that the ecu has to be in for it to activate.
Next time I open my tune I will get a list of all the perameters that have to be for the afm to activate. (I turned mine off just to get rid of the chance of the cam failures that the v8's had/have... no idea if the v6 share the same issue but I didnt want to risk it)

·
Registered
106 Posts
24/7 V4 mode will waste fuel, not save it.

There’s only very specific circumstances where it is worth doing. This is why newer engines have like 30 cyllinder configurations. And like others said, the 3.6L V6 is not the most optimal engine for this tech simply because the V6 is already close to optimal. It works much better with the less optimal 6.0L V8s where managing the cylinders yields a much bigger boost to economy (although still tiny).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Allegedly Volumetric efficiency increases on the V8s with deactivation... I don't know if that's true or not but may apply to ours. I honestly never noticed a difference on the vehicles I disabled it on but you're talking 6.2s and 5.3s.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
OK, Ed, Good to know. You are taxed enough. I guess I'll have to figure out why I hear otherwise. If you're there, you would know better than I.

·
Registered
931 Posts
No, it sucks here. Raiding gas taxes to stay afloat. Businesses and middle class fleeing at a scary rate.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Businesses and middle class fleeing at a scary rate.
Yep. they're coming to Austin, Texas.
Passing the same laws allowing the homeless derelicts to camp and crap on public grounds.

·
Registered
931 Posts
They just did the same to Boise Idaho. Why are people so dumb.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts