Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to control cylinder deactivation? Sticking in V4 mode vs V6 especially with all the highway miles not requiring the extra HP :).

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Not sure what you are asking, but I know on the full size Silverado trucks, they sell Tuners that have the option of deleting Cylinder Deactivation, not sure if they have them for the Colorado/Canyon trucks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Here you go. If you want to deactivate AFM, they have a device for that. If you want to extend V4 mode, they have a device for that.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Any tuner should be able to do it for you, and anyone local can truly customize it based on your driving pattern, and that would be the way you'd be most likely to see an improvement in fuel economy.

Just locking it into 4 cylinder mode all the time could also decrease your fuel economy overall, depending on the operating conditions.

I would not keep it in 4 cylinder mode permanently.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Let me guess, your truck is new and youre not seeing the AFM operate as often as you want?
This is a issue that will improve with time and miles. Mine works a lot more that it did in the first 20K.
And quit watching for it. A watched pot never boils.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Has anyone really determined if cylinder deactivation actually saves any significant amount of fuel?
This is an excellent question to which I suspect the answer to be a big fat NO.
AFM and Start-Stop, are compliance things, not effective things.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here you go. If you want to deactivate AFM, they have a device for that. If you want to extend V4 mode, they have a device for that.

why would anybody want to extend the v4 mode, that just makes the engine work harder???? I have the afm disabler!! No difference in mpgs for me, and with no premature engine failure from that stupid afm system!!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Has anyone really determined if cylinder deactivation actually saves any significant amount of fuel?
I did see a noticeable improvement fuel economy (basically on highway driving) on my G8 GT when I finally got the tune the way I wanted it. Took plenty of trial drives, and a couple misadventures (one time I was much too aggressive with the settings and had it in V4 mode only, that really sucked), but eventually I was able to find a tune which improved mileage without much change in driveability.

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is an excellent question to which I suspect the answer to be a big fat NO.
AFM and Start-Stop, are compliance things, not effective things.
While they may or may not be noticeable on an individual basis, taken on a manufacturer-wide basis they help achieve the necessary fuel economy ratings.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The gain in MPG would be small if any.

Things like AFM. Auto Stop and the shutters on our trucks earn what is called Off Cycle Emissions Credits. Much of this is done for emission credits not MPG.

The EPA awards credits to MFGs for these things that can not be tested easily. MFG eat them up. The true results of staying in 4 cylinder mode may not net the effects you really want as it is more about emissions.

Here is a story on the start stop systems but it also details how the EPA applies the Off Cycle credits here.

There is much more going on than what many of us on the web assume is going on. The EPA and MFGs really don't advertise the why and hows of many emissions and emissions rules.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys.

He just aked about having V4 on more. Stop posting how to disable it and lecturing him on why he should not want it.
The more information that is available to him, the better!! Don’t you think that he should have ALL the info out there so he can make a more informed decision??????

·
Registered
201 Posts

That would be interesting to try.

I notice V4 mode on my V8 Camaro quite a bit on the highway, but only seem to get V4 mode on my Canyon when coasting

Bill

1 - 20 of 35 Posts