Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Colorado ZR2 Bison CCSB 3.6L
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen the mod a lot of people do where a black sticker is applied to the gold part of the bowtie on the steering wheel. However, I really hate how the chrome catches the sun and I'm always looking to reducing the plastic chrome on my Colorado. Anybody have any DIY or aftermarket solutions?

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Plastidip the entire bow tie.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
641 Posts
Tint truck? JK NK though....

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plastidip the entire bow tie.
So first of all, thanks for introducing me to this product, now I'm going to rid the exterior of every piece of chrome (basically just badging/AEV logo?). I do think I'd have to remove that piece of the wheel and it involves messing with airbags so it might be a bit over my head.

Tint truck? JK NK though....
It's on my list...

I painted mine using flat black enamel paint.
Honestly that looks good, and would be pretty easy. Just model paint?

Is this the style you have lol?
View attachment 408152
THAT'S THE ONE!

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Over the years, I have found that Duplicolor is some of the best paint for pretty much any project. Haven’t had any compatability problems, like I have many times with Krylon seems to be the worst.

·
Registered
2018 2wd 3.6L CCSB WT
253 Posts
I tried the sticker overlays and they were too hard to get perfectly aligned and they would peel off after a couple weeks.

Used a black enamel paint marker and it’s been perfect for 3 months now:

Prep with alcohol and apply 2-3 coats, an hour or two between coats.

Also did the gold wheel bow tie caps, which came out great too, but eventually swapped out to a different style cap altogether.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I recently heard someone talking about spraying clear matte plastidip over chrome. I wonder if that might not make the chrome outside match the silver plastic trim?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently heard someone talking about spraying clear matte plastidip over chrome. I wonder if that might not make the chrome outside match the silver plastic trim?
Do they make pastidip you can paint on (vs spray)? That would be a bit easier to do w/o removing the front of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure what they did but here is an all black cap that works great. I believe they cross referenced to a new trailblazer
View attachment 408228 View attachment 408229 View attachment 408230
Kind of looks like what's on the Dusk ZR2 also.

This also reminds me that the stupid metal schrader valve caps are chrome too, and need to be DELETED. I don't know why car manufactures think we want everything to be chrome... I think I'm going to do red plastidip on my Colorado/AEV badging and will try to find something to match that theme. Might also do the grill behind the front Chevrolet emblem (blatantly stolen from Horsepower Obsessed) when I do the bull bar swap.

·
Registered
2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Midnight
49 Posts
Kind of looks like what's on the Dusk ZR2 also.

This also reminds me that the stupid metal schrader valve caps are chrome too, and need to be DELETED. I don't know why car manufactures think we want everything to be chrome... I think I'm going to do red plastidip on my Colorado/AEV badging and will try to find something to match that theme. Might also do the grill behind the front Chevrolet emblem (blatantly stolen from Horsepower Obsessed) when I do the bull bar swap.
Thanks guys for the info.

I think Chevy has acknowledged the preference you mentioned with the Silverado for example. Look at the RST versus the LTZ. Body colored versus an almost completely chrome bumper.

·
Registered
2018 2wd 3.6L CCSB WT
253 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Colorado Z71
163 Posts
Exactly. Testors Model Masters flat black. Took two coats a couple of hours apart. Has held up so far. If it chips at all, it's very easy to touch up.
Model Master is no longer made, but any enamel model paint should work fine. The Testors in the little square bottles is widely available.

·
Registered
2019 Z71
77 Posts
Coincidentally, the same caps in the previous pic that was posted:
View attachment 408296
They look really good on the OEM silver wheels. Got mine from eBay though for $25. Looks like they’re $40 now.....

Got mine on eBay as well. They are not holding up to salt and sand very well though. They look rough after just one winter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts