Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have heard from quite a few people including mechanics at chevy that with the electric steering rack steering stabilizer links are not used nor necessary.

Any of you guys get nasty feedback from the road into the wheel?

Im running 33x12.5 Venom Terra Hunter X/T tires and they seems to function well however I will occasionally get a nasty kickback in the wheel after a big bump on a turn.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*That with the electric steering rack assembly, steering stabilizers are not used or necessary

·
Registered
979 Posts
A steering stabilizer is a sort of shock absorber fitted to draglink style steering systems to damped quick steering inputs. Doesn't work with rack and pinion steering where the center link is not exposed.

When was your last wheel alignment? Maybe something is off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there. I’ve got the nasty feedback that you’re encountering. For reference, I’m on a 2” leveling kit, 32” tires on a 2015 Z71 currently at 145K miles. I had the same issue with the alignment shop and the wobble on the lift after getting the new tires and level installed. The steering wheel, when parked with the engine running, has some initial play before engaging, so my initial review under the car suggest the inner tie rods are worn. There is significant lateral play that I believe to be sending signals to the electric streering which causes the truck to make a series of corrections aka the feedback. The stabilitrak is designed with a series of sensors to determine traction control an steering assist. I believe the larger, nobby tires, along with slightly different geometry from the lift resulted in the worn tie rods to become overworked and under powered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there. I’ve got the nasty feedback that you’re encountering. For reference, I’m on a 2” leveling kit, 32” tires on a 2015 Z71 currently at 145K miles. I had the same issue with the alignment shop and the wobble on the lift after getting the new tires and level installed. The steering wheel, when parked with the engine running, has some initial play before engaging, so my initial review under the car suggest the inner tie rods are worn. There is significant lateral play that I believe to be sending signals to the electric streering which causes the truck to make a series of corrections aka the feedback. The stabilitrak is designed with a series of sensors to determine traction control an steering assist. I believe the larger, nobby tires, along with slightly different geometry from the lift resulted in the worn tie rods to become overworked and under powered.
This is great feedback, Im going to give it a try. Thank you so much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts