20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 Chevrolet Colorado z71 3.6L
5.5" suspension lift
295/70/17 Toyo Open Country M/T
2" wheel spacers
K&N Blackhawk intake
Borla Exhaust

My issue is the steering rack physically moves when I turn the wheel and provides a rather ominous clunk sound. I can only assume with 75lbs tires that the rubber bushing that are not full bushings (I don't know why) are worn out. I cannot seem to find any poly bushings for this year E rack and pinion steering setup. I'd even go metal if I could, I've tried just about every place I could find online and custom metal fab shops to try and stabilize this rack, no luck. I do a ton of off roading and love my truck, it out performs all the Rubicons, Range Rovers, and I cant tell you how many times I've dragged Raptors out of the mud or flipped them back over with a big ole smirk on my face.

Any ideas besides replacing them with unserviceable rubber oem bushings?

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Have you called Prothane or some other urathane bushing manufacturer? Just cause it’s not listed doesn’t mean they can’t source the spec and find/make something. Truck is likely too new for them to have considered looking at yet as typically these things don’t wear out for a few years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I contacted energy suspensions, and they were willing to custom make them for me. $250 for the mold and the cost of the set, which I thought was fair, however they also said I would be responsible for 100 units, now if I were a business that would be fair but since I'm an individual I deem that a bit ludicrous.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I contacted energy suspensions, and they were willing to custom make them for me. $250 for the mold and the cost of the set, which I thought was fair, however they also said I would be responsible for 100 units, now if I were a business that would be fair but since I'm an individual I deem that a bit ludicrous.

Group buy???>:)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
5.5" suspension lift
2" wheel spacers
K&N Blackhawk intake
Borla Exhaust

My issue is the steering rack physically moves when I turn the wheel and provides a rather ominous clunk sound. I can only assume with 75lbs tires that the rubber bushing that are not full bushings (I don't know why) are worn out. I cannot seem to find any poly bushings for this year E rack and pinion steering setup. I'd even go metal if I could, I've tried just about every place I could find online and custom metal fab shops to try and stabilize this rack, no luck. I do a ton of off roading and love my truck, it out performs all the Rubicons, Range Rovers, and I cant tell you how many times I've dragged Raptors out of the mud or flipped them back over with a big ole smirk on my face.

Like you said they are probably worn out, why not just replace them with something stock? But first crawl under there and have someone turn the wheel back and forth to make sure that is the only problem. Those bushings would have to be just wiped out gone if it clunks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd definitely be up for that, 'group buy' idea, but theres no way I can handle being responsible for 100 units on my own....I could buy a full baja kit for that kinda money.

Thanks, yeah I had a buddy do that while I looked from below, that's how I noticed the rack moving and to my untrained eye they look about 50%ish worn...the problem I see and once again "to my untrained eyes," its that the bushings we get are not solid bushings and the places where there is a gap in the bushing seems to be, in my opinion, all the important places that a solid bushing would help. The only problem I found was that my top two bolts on the rack were loose (about a full turn) but the bottom two were tight...i tightened them but no change in clunk or movement though. I just contacted my chevy dealer and they claim that the bushings are not sold individually rather they must be purchased with an entire new steering rack as they only come pre fitted with the assembly...seems silly but its what I was told...November is getting close I guess and I hope something for our trucks drops at SEMA. Frustrated why would they make an assembly so poorly and not make bushings that can be inter changed, especially rubber unmaintainable bushings...its like they set the part up to fail. Any ideas on how to support this rack is very appreciated, I have access to a metal fab shop and tireless determination if anyone has knowledge and/or suggestions I'll try just about anything.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thats bullshit. Will they guarantee you exclusive sales rights to the part number then?

·
Registered
156 Posts
5.5" suspension lift
2" wheel spacers
K&N Blackhawk intake
Borla Exhaust

Ever find a solution?

Are there steering rack upgrades for our trucks available? Since you actually offroad your truck, have you had problems with yours other than the bushings wearing out? I am afraid of the tiny steering links we have when I go offroading.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You could get a new rack and remove the rubber bushings, then replicate on a lathe using urethane.

·
Registered
628 Posts
McMaster Carr used to have castable urethane that would be suitable. Worth a look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5.5" suspension lift
2" wheel spacers
K&N Blackhawk intake
Borla Exhaust

1 - 13 of 13 Posts