Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 CCLB
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question first then details: Are there still no aftermarket or OEM replacements for the steering rack bushings? When they are worn the only option is to replace the whole steering rack? The only other post I found was from 2015 when the trucks were new and the conclusion was there were no options. Is that still the case?

The backstory is the dealer told me I have worn steering rack bushings and the whole steering rack needs replaced. I couldn't believe that a bushing is not replaceable requiring an entirely new rack. I originally had a clunk turning the wheel and a dull rattle when going over gravel. First dealer told me my outer tie rod was loose. No improvement. They took it back and replaced the Intermediate steering shaft, claiming both sounds were fixed. I picked it up and no improvement so I got fed up and took it to another dealer. They blamed the clunk on worn steering rack bushings making it shift. They would not touch the rack because I have Peak coilovers. I understand and its the risk I took adding things on. They replaced upper steering shaft for the rattle claiming its unrelated (I agree it seems more in the steering wheel itself). No improvement there and I'm still working with them on that.

The rack is loose as I've now seen for myself climbing under, just would like to avoid replacing a whole component for worn bushings. The rattle is another issue I'm still handling through the dealer so fingers crossed on that.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I take it you have contacted all the suspension companies as a lot of guys who rock crawl have to have worn out bushings

Reactions: Prussian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have emailed several and have heard back from two with no results. Until I get more emails back I'm mainly going off lack of any products on company websites, eBay etc. Even search for OEM only returns results for entire rack.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Question first then details: Are there still no aftermarket or OEM replacements for the steering rack bushings? When they are worn the only option is to replace the whole steering rack? The only other post I found was from 2015 when the trucks were new and the conclusion was there were no options. Is that still the case?

The backstory is the dealer told me I have worn steering rack bushings and the whole steering rack needs replaced. I couldn't believe that a bushing is not replaceable requiring an entirely new rack. I originally had a clunk turning the wheel and a dull rattle when going over gravel. First dealer told me my outer tie rod was loose. No improvement. They took it back and replaced the Intermediate steering shaft, claiming both sounds were fixed. I picked it up and no improvement so I got fed up and took it to another dealer. They blamed the clunk on worn steering rack bushings making it shift. They would not touch the rack because I have Peak coilovers. I understand and its the risk I took adding things on. They replaced upper steering shaft for the rattle claiming its unrelated (I agree it seems more in the steering wheel itself). No improvement there and I'm still working with them on that.

The rack is loose as I've now seen for myself climbing under, just would like to avoid replacing a whole component for worn bushings. The rattle is another issue I'm still handling through the dealer so fingers crossed on that.

Thanks
So they won't warranty it because of coil overs? There is no way I would replace the rack for bushings. I'd let it rattle and keep looking. That or talk them into fixing the truck under warranty.

Reactions: Prussian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's correct they don't want to touch it because the coilovers changed geometry that they think is related to premature wear according to the service manager.

I plan to keep looking or keep an eye on junk yards. However its hard to ignore not because the rattle but because now that I think about it I may have had other symptoms pointing to the steering rack originally. Floaty driving, slight steering wheel wobble, difficulty getting the truck to align and tract straight.

Troubleshooting was originally hampered by the fact I had bought 4 new Falkens at the same time and had vibrations from those. Road force balance showed 2 of the 4 were defective but Falken couldn't believe it and demanded multiple shops try before they would warranty. So I went back and forth with them for a month and those issues surely masked any others.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Yeah that's correct they don't want to touch it because the coilovers changed geometry that they think is related to premature wear according to the service manager.

I plan to keep looking or keep an eye on junk yards. However its hard to ignore not because the rattle but because now that I think about it I may have had other symptoms pointing to the steering rack originally. Floaty driving, slight steering wheel wobble, difficulty getting the truck to align and tract straight.

Troubleshooting was originally hampered by the fact I had bought 4 new Falkens at the same time and had vibrations from those. Road force balance showed 2 of the 4 were defective but Falken couldn't believe it and demanded multiple shops try before they would warranty. So I went back and forth with them for a month and those issues surely masked any others.
Jeez some dealers are a holes. Did the first one do the other parts under warranty? If so take it back there and ask them to check the rack bushings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in a pretty remote area but I have some other dealers im eyeing to visit. Just happened to get half a foot of snow so need my truck at the moment. 🤘

I am wondering about that though. Since they all see the service history I hope there isn't any unseen notes harping on the coilovers.

·
Registered
963 Posts
These trucks are too new and too few of us actually require these specific upgrades for companies to even notice, let alone dump money into R&D. Any decent machine shop would be able to make you bushings. If the clunk i just developed turns out to be the rack bushings, I'll probably use liquid polyurethane to fill the bushings for added support. It's a much more cost effective solution vs needing to replace the bushings. The liquid polyurethane is used by folks on a budget to stiffen and/or repair factory motor mounts. Its about $40 shipped. Note that you'll need between a week at normal room temp or 18+ hours at 150+ degrees F for proper curing.

BTW, I got denied warranty on my front DSSV shock bushings because my undercarriage was beat up from one good rocky trail. Dealers will take advantage of anything to avoid paying for repairs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts