Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Kinetic Blue Ex-Cab ZR2 V6
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Well, the dealer didn't get a response from GM, so I took the truck back as is. Gonna wait for an update before I mention the Trifecta tune. I'd like to see if something positive can come out of this vs having to revert the Trifecta for service.

There was a little speculation about the extra 12v accessories I have wired in as well, but when I told them it's all hard wired to battery and not tied into any existing circuits, they pulled back.

This little issue has everyone at the dealer and GM stumped at the moment. The SA mentioned that they have done a bunch of rack replacements and this is the first to not take a program. At the moment, I just have a code in the background with no dash lights (C056E) and a "reduced steering" notification on startup. Otherwise everything runs as expected. Super fun!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
I would roll the tune back to stock when you take it back. While I don't know if it interferes, going back and forth to the dealer has to suck.
I live 2 miles away from the dealer, so it's not a big deal. If there is no word on resolution, I'll bring it up as a "maybe this thing? 🤷🏻‍♂️" I might even see what their thoughts are about using the old assist motor with the new rack. The module is in the motor, and it's already programmed for my truck.... My other concern with the stock tune is the wheel speed and driveshaft speed sensors won't read the same with the regear. IIRC, it didn't throw any visible codes on the stock tune, but cruise did not work, so the ECU wasn't happy.

At this point, I want to see if GM can find a workaround for the tune or whatever is actually causing the issue. And I really have no idea where I put the Trifecta cable. I looked around and it is probably in one of the boxes on the top shelf. Or it could have done the 10mm socket disappearing act. 😂 I'll dig it up if I need to. I have so many other things I need to do before I leave on Wednesday, so I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Side note: not sure I mentioned it, but I got my reverse lines and offroad angles back after the steering angle sensor was reset.

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
567 Posts
I live 2 miles away from the dealer, so it's not a big deal. If there is no word on resolution, I'll bring it up as a "maybe this thing? 🤷🏻‍♂️" I might even see what their thoughts are about using the old assist motor with the new rack. The module is in the motor, and it's already programmed for my truck.... My other concern with the stock tune is the wheel speed and driveshaft speed sensors won't read the same with the regear. IIRC, it didn't throw any visible codes on the stock tune, but cruise did not work, so the ECU wasn't happy.

At this point, I want to see if GM can find a workaround for the tune or whatever is actually causing the issue. And I really have no idea where I put the Trifecta cable. I looked around and it is probably in one of the boxes on the top shelf. Or it could have done the 10mm socket disappearing act. 😂 I'll dig it up if I need to. I have so many other things I need to do before I leave on Wednesday, so I'll cross that bridge if I have to.

Side note: not sure I mentioned it, but I got my reverse lines and offroad angles back after the steering angle sensor was reset.
Hey there hoooogan! If you need another EZ Flash cable, please contact our support team, and we’ll get one right out to you. As for the plan here, we definitely agree that if you want the dealership to fix this vehicle defect, you will need to bring it to them on the stock calibration. Otherwise there’s a risk that they not only try to blame the issue on any one of the modifications to your truck (including the tune) but also denying warranty coverage and/or blocking warranty coverage on any future issue. Good luck, and let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Well, I don't know if it's worse, exactly, but this guy is having some rack issues, as well. Not a very good vehicle to have thrashed apart during both a parts and vehicle shortage...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Hey there hoooogan! If you need another EZ Flash cable, please contact our support team, and we’ll get one right out to you. As for the plan here, we definitely agree that if you want the dealership to fix this vehicle defect, you will need to bring it to them on the stock calibration. Otherwise there’s a risk that they not only try to blame the issue on any one of the modifications to your truck (including the tune) but also denying warranty coverage and/or blocking warranty coverage on any future issue. Good luck, and let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you.
Thanks for the response. This is basically on hold until I return from my trip. Even if the dealer comes back with something, I really don't have time to go back. As far as blaming issues, this is being done outside of warranty. Being on a time crunch, I made the decision to pay full price for the rack and am also paying for the reprogramming. I couldn't risk a warranty claim taking too long and not being able to use my truck. My warranty is almost over as well, so i'm not too concerned about the coverage denial or blockage.

When I return, I'll likely revert the tune and see if that clears things up. Heck, if i have time to look for the cable, I might just bring it with me and see if a dealer in Colorado has any luck.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Well, I don't know if it's worse, exactly, but this guy is having some rack issues, as well. Not a very good vehicle to have thrashed apart during both a parts and vehicle shortage...

Like this unfortunate person, I want to use my vehicle to it's fullest potential. Parts and/or vehicle shortage aside, failures are part of the game, and it wont stop me from playing, nor should it for you. Learn from the failure, repair/upgrade if possible and get back out there. (y)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Work was a little slower this morning and Chevy wanted the truck back, so I caved. Said the engineers came back with an updated procedure and BOOM, she programmed! No need to revert the Trifecta!

Gonna go grab her after I act like I did something at work.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Companion dog

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Sweet!! So the first rack was fine I’m assuming 🤮
No, it was not. The first rack was previously programmed and was throwing a code to be replaced. This second one (current) would not successful accept programming.

Also, I received my full refund from Rock Auto this morning. 🙂

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Thanks for following along on this wild rollercoaster. I got the truck back from the dealer and I can finally say it is back to normal. No lights, no warnings, no noises or strange feelings.

To recap:
  • Original issue was the steering wheel randomly locking up. Not stiff, actually locked up.
  • Root cause was the aftermarket steering boots (for custom tie rods) not adequately keeping dirt/debris out of the ball nut Electric Assist mechanism. A dirty electrical connection at the assist motor was likely to blame for intermittent loss of powered assist. Combined, the power assist mechanism binded on debris and without powered assist to overcome the added friction, the driver cannot overcome the bind and it feels physically locked.
  • Rack was pulled out, completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, resulting in a not so smooth but bind free motion.
  • Rack reinstall requires a steering angle reset as well as a module reprogram, which was never completed with the worn rack. Truck drove as expected, but with a loud bad bearing sound and slightly more resistance at the steering wheel.
  • Fast forward 2500 miles, something causes assist to tighten up straight, to the point where it requires nearly all of your strength to turn. It does not physically lock up, but tightens as if in a failsafe.
  • Decision was made to replace the rack, for fear the added friction in the worn rack is causing the "failsafe".
  • Supposedly "New" rack is purchased from Rock Auto, installed and truck is brought to dealer for reset/reprogram. Reprogram attempt fails in error code C056E, calling for a rack replacement. Dealer Service Advisor states that parts with VIN specific modules should ONLY be purchased directly from a dealer. Third party parts vendors do not carry parts with unused VIN modules. These modules are locked after initial programming and cannot be transfered between vehicles.
  • New rack is purchased from a local dealer and installed. For some reason the new rack is not accepting reprogram. Techs try multiple times for what is usually a straight forward procedure, but new module is not accepting program.
  • GM engineers come back several days later with a new program procedure which finally works and new steering rack is programmed. They required the reference numbers off the original rack, for troubleshooting.
  • Job done.
In short, make sure your steering boots are clean, and damage free. Debris in the steering rack is ultimately what caused this cascade of issues. If there comes a time where you need a part that contains some sort of software that has your VIN, buy directly from a dealer or gmpartsdirect.com. Many dealers have online parts stores that you can order directly from and they have discounts built in. Some of the best prices I've found on numerous parts is at FindlayAutoParts.com. Third party parts vendors do not carry parts with fresh VIN specific electronic modules. If you buy outside of the dealer network, you risk getting a part with a locked module and it is as good as a paper weight.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts