Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
798 Posts
It’s a true pain getting an alignment on a modified vehicle. Everyone will deny you or charge you up the ass. Got charged way too much for my leveled truck and baby lift Subaru and my buddy just did the whole go around trying to get his leveled frontier aligned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[San Diego Hi-jack]I use Beeline at Balboa and Mission Bay Drive. Been using them for years for all my lifted trucks.[/San Diego Hi-jack]

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
For Fks Sake. I just can't catch a break.

Chevy said the rack I got from RockAuto is not able to take the reprogram. They tried several times and were able to clear the other codes and reset the angle, but the module gets locked after the initial programming and cannot be programmed on a different vehicle. Apparently, the rack was pre-programmed, which it shouldn't be. The fault code was indicating a "Steering gear(rack) replacement". The Service Advisor was super helpful though, and basically said DO NOT buy a rack from anywhere but a dealer. I swear these trucks are too smart for their own good. I was thinking of just swapping in the motor from the old rack, but I would still be left with a brand new DOA motor. Makes more sense to just replace again and have my old motor as a workable spare.

Anyway, I called around and found a brand new rack at a local dealer and through the power of the internet, their online parts website just knocked off almost $600 after tax. Now I get to go through the motions one more time and send this other rack back to RockAuto. Yay, so fun!

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,484 Posts
For Fks Sake. I just can't catch a break.

Chevy said the rack I got from RockAuto is not able to take the reprogram. They tried several times and were able to clear the other codes and reset the angle, but the module gets locked after the initial programming and cannot be programmed on a different vehicle. Apparently, the rack was pre-programmed, which it shouldn't be. The fault code was indicating a "Steering gear(rack) replacement". The Service Advisor was super helpful though, and basically said DO NOT buy a rack from anywhere but a dealer. I swear these trucks are too smart for their own good. I was thinking of just swapping in the motor from the old rack, but I would still be left with a brand new DOA motor. Makes more sense to just replace again and have my old motor as a workable spare.

Anyway, I called around and found a brand new rack at a local dealer and through the power of the internet, their online parts website just knocked off almost $600 after tax. Now I get to go through the motions one more time and send this other rack back to RockAuto. Yay, so fun!
You and I have the same type of luck.

I definitely respect your attitude towards the situation. 👍🏻

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,809 Posts
I have had luck with small tire shops getting alignments done on lifted rigs. 4WP will do it as well if you have one close by.

Reactions: hoooogan

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,828 Posts
The Service Advisor was super helpful though, and basically said DO NOT buy a rack from anywhere but a dealer.
Here is what neing sold at RockAuto:
ACDELCO 84498591 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} GM Original Equipment Info
Fits140.5" Wheelbase; CODE B84,ADBV
or140.5" Wheelbase; CODE CCD
orLT Model; WT Model; Z71 Model; 128.3" Wheelbase; 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); CODE C8M,B84,ADBV
orLT Model; WT Model; Z71 Model; 128.3" Wheelbase; 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); CODE CCD

$666.79$0.00$666.79

Add to Cart

ACDELCO 84670803 GM Original Equipment Info
RWD; 128.3" Wheelbase; EXCEPT 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); 2nd Design; FOR USE ON VEHICLES BUILT 10/2/17 & After

$684.79$150.00$834.79

Add to Cart

ACDELCO 84670810 GM Original Equipment Info

2017 CHEVROLET COLORADO 3.6L V6 Rack and Pinion | RockAuto

So they are selling the same parts as the deaker. Sounds like some sort of BS to me.

Maybe there is a step that needs to be done to program it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Here's how my day went after I left you:
  • Called the parts dealer, confirmed there was a rack in stock, ordered rack online for cheaper.
  • They email me saying this is a special order part with 10-14 day wait.
  • I call and say WTF, your dude literally said you have one, 30 seconds before I placed the order.
  • Guy checks stock warehouse, calls back. Yup, we do not have one......but our system says a different dealer has two!
  • Can you get it from them so you don't have to special order another one? NOPE. All I can do is cancel your order and you can buy from them. huuuuuuuuge sigh....fine.
  • Call the other place, they confirm they have two.
  • Place my order online, but for $280 MORE just because it's a different dealer... They didn't even do small talk before they fkd me.
  • Then to top it off, I get to pay the $161 service fee AGAIN, when I bring it back in a couple days.
At the moment, I have over $3000 in credit card charges for steering racks. $2k will get refunded, but still. Fck me.

MAKE SURE YOUR STEERING SYSTEM STAYS SEALED, CLEAN AND DRY.
Also, do not buy a used rack/motor, unless it is for hard parts. ONLY buy new from a dealer or GMPartsDirect.com.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
2,828 Posts
Here's how my day went after I left you:
  • Called the parts dealer, confirmed there was a rack in stock, ordered rack online for cheaper.
  • They email me saying this is a special order part with 10-14 day wait.
  • I call and say WTF, your dude literally said you have one, 30 seconds before I placed the order.
  • Guy checks stock warehouse, calls back. Yup, we do not have one......but our system says a different dealer has two!
  • Can you get it from them so you don't have to special order another one? NOPE. All I can do is cancel your order and you can buy from them. huuuuuuuuge sigh....fine.
  • Call the other place, they confirm they have two.
  • Place my order online, but for $280 MORE just because it's a different dealer... They didn't even do small talk before they fkd me.
  • Then to top it off, I get to pay the $161 service fee AGAIN, when I bring it back in a couple days.
At the moment, I have over $3000 in credit card charges for steering racks. $2k will get refunded, but still. Fck me.

MAKE SURE YOUR STEERING SYSTEM STAYS SEALED, CLEAN AND DRY.
Also, do not buy a used rack/motor, unless it is for hard parts. ONLY buy new from a dealer or GMPartsDirect.com.
I
I feel your pain

Reactions: hoooogan

·
Registered
2019 zr2 gas crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood guard and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
367 Posts
Hope this all works out for you. My gut says the service department will have trouble programming the new one too. I'm a glass half empty guy though as I always have bad luck.

I think in the quest for manufacturers to make the shade tree mechanic obsolete, they have made it too difficult for their own ASE techs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Here is what neing sold at RockAuto:
ACDELCO 84498591 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} GM Original Equipment Info
Fits140.5" Wheelbase; CODE B84,ADBV
or140.5" Wheelbase; CODE CCD
orLT Model; WT Model; Z71 Model; 128.3" Wheelbase; 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); CODE C8M,B84,ADBV
orLT Model; WT Model; Z71 Model; 128.3" Wheelbase; 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); CODE CCD

$666.79$0.00$666.79

Add to Cart

ACDELCO 84670803 GM Original Equipment Info
RWD; 128.3" Wheelbase; EXCEPT 2 SPEED ACTIVE PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ6), 2 SPEED SWITCH ACTIVATED PART TIME 4WD L/H DROP TRANSFER CASE(NQ7); 2nd Design; FOR USE ON VEHICLES BUILT 10/2/17 & After

$684.79$150.00$834.79

Add to Cart

ACDELCO 84670810 GM Original Equipment Info

2017 CHEVROLET COLORADO 3.6L V6 Rack and Pinion | RockAuto

So they are selling the same parts as the deaker. Sounds like some sort of BS to me.

Maybe there is a step that needs to be done to program it.
The Service Advisor said they tried multiple times, but kept getting a failure during programming with a fault code stating the repair is the replace the rack. The PN for the ZR2 specific rack is 84670798. It is the one that is significantly more expensive and comes with the ZR2 stamped housing and different tie rods. Can't say if the motor is different or not, though.

Shenanigans or not, I'm just here to share my experiences so no one else needs to figure this out like this. I have no experience with programming steering racks, nor do I want to speculate and risk spreading the wrong information. I just want this done and if an extremely knowledgeable service advisor is saying to swap the rack because they can't get it to accept a program, i'm gonna take their advice. I have enough knowledge to know when someone is dicking around with me, like those Firestone techs.... I will say, the first thing the SA asked was "Is this a new OEM part from a dealer?" The rack came in an OEM box with all the OEM tags, so I assumed it was from a dealer and said yes. Now that I have the new one in the garage, the other box was definitely opened prior to me receiving it. The new new from dealer box is strapped shut. First one was loosely taped shut. This must not be the first time they have encountered this issue. Apparently, these VIN specific parts are not sold outside of dealer networks. . You can get more universal stuff like tie rods, brake parts, etc, outside of the dealer no problem. How third party sellers get these parts, I have no idea and that's not what this thread is for. Just shop around other dealer websites before you buy something that needs programming through some sort of ECU/BCM/etc.

Also processed the rockauto return. Just need to pull it, throw it in the box and send it out. Didn't lose a penny on that, so i'm happy on that front.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Hope this all works out for you. My gut says the service department will have trouble programming the new one too. I'm a glass half empty guy though as I always have bad luck.

I think in the quest for manufacturers to make the shade tree mechanic obsolete, they have made it too difficult for their own ASE techs.
Thanks. I'm definitely preparing for the worst, which is now to keep returning the racks through a dealer. I figure I have at least two more attempts at this before I leave. I'm just glad I didn't buy a used ZR2 rack for a ton of money only to be stuck with eating the loss.

You'd be surprised with how well laid out service manuals are these days. As long as you have the correct tools on hand, anyone could do the job. I would say the quest is not to make shade tree mechanics obsolete, but to progress the technology in the vehicles. A shade tree mechanic is not going to buy a $2-4k scan tool with monthly/yearly subscription, so it defaults them out of these repairs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I have had luck with small tire shops getting alignments done on lifted rigs. 4WP will do it as well if you have one close by.
The shop i'm gonna go to is right down the road from them. I'd gladly wait for an appointment till next year before letting 4WP touch my truck. There are a couple other highly recommended alignment shops in town, but I just dont have the time. Most are booked 3+ weeks out. I have 8 days.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Finally had some time to put the third rack in. Right about 45min. Was super busy earlier and forgot to make an appointment for tomorrow. Guess I'll just need to see if I they have anything open in the morning.

But here is something I hope no one else will ever see in their lifetime.

Product Bicycle part Motor vehicle Gas Machine

Also, regarding this "defective" rack, I don't know how I glossed over it, but the box it came in has definitely been taped up a couple times. There was even a big wad of bubble wrap. The new one only had a single spray foam thing. I just saw the fresh rack in it and didn't think twice about the packing.

Anyway, more updates tomorrow or Friday.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Was able to drop the truck off this morning. Then I had to bring my old steering rack in. They are running into a different programming issue and are troubleshooting with engineers. Even the SA was visibly frustrated with the situation because this should work right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Damn. Wish MV10 or one of our other tech gurus could weigh in on the programming aspect. I find it hard to believe there is no way to zero out any unit back to factory settings. That is a huge liability trap.

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,809 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
@MrCamo and @hoooogan Sure I can chime in here. Like I said originally, my company doesn't make the steering gears for the Gen2 Colorados so I don't know the specifics here but the re-programming issue is odd. I'd second the advice to only buy a new EPS steering gear (or any module with software) from a dealer for chain of custody concerns and software re-programming. This will especially be the case going forward with the automakers adding cyber security levels of protection to all the modules and the tools to connect will be tightly controlled.

Not surprised an error code for steering gear replacement showed up. Generally, there's a VIN re-learning sequence that has to be run otherwise the new steering gear will throw the VIN mismatch code (this shouldn't be a cause for no steering assist). More importantly the software the steering gear came with is a "generic" version that gets re-programmed and configured at the GM plant during vehicle final assembly since each vehicle trim may have unique software calibrations / settings. Without the final official software re-programming, you will set trouble codes and may not have steering assist.

Typically if a re-programming attempt fails there's probably two main issues:
1. The software interface tool and unlocking keys are not correct (dealer should have the most up to date here)
2. Conditions to re-program are not met, as in vehicle speed is not valid and zero, too much steering wheel torque applied, etc.

Any resolution since yesterday?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
@MrCamo and @hoooogan Sure I can chime in here. Like I said originally, my company doesn't make the steering gears for the Gen2 Colorados so I don't know the specifics here but the re-programming issue is odd. I'd second the advice to only buy a new EPS steering gear (or any module with software) from a dealer for chain of custody concerns and software re-programming. This will especially be the case going forward with the automakers adding cyber security levels of protection to all the modules and the tools to connect will be tightly controlled.

Not surprised an error code for steering gear replacement showed up. Generally, there's a VIN re-learning sequence that has to be run otherwise the new steering gear will throw the VIN mismatch code (this shouldn't be a cause for no steering assist). More importantly the software the steering gear came with is a "generic" version that gets re-programmed and configured at the GM plant during vehicle final assembly since each vehicle trim may have unique software calibrations / settings. Without the final official software re-programming, you will set trouble codes and may not have steering assist.

Typically if a re-programming attempt fails there's probably two main issues:
1. The software interface tool and unlocking keys are not correct (dealer should have the most up to date here)
2. Conditions to re-program are not met, as in vehicle speed is not valid and zero, too much steering wheel torque applied, etc.

Any resolution since yesterday?
Thanks for the response. No updates yet. I'm starting to wonder if the Trifecta Tune has anything to do with the issues. I'm recalibrated for tire size AND regear. Perhaps the regear correction is throwing off true zero with a multiplication factor of sorts. 🤔

I'll see what they say and mention it, if no resolution. I told them I need the truck back today.

·
Registered
2020 Colorado Z71 Trail Runner
798 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if the Trifecta is throwing it off now that you mention in. With the different tire size and gearing, the input from the sensors may not match what it's expecting hence the codes.

Wow, that almost sounded intelligent.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts