Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a new issue yesterday. Was driving and was accelerating and all of a sudden my steering became notchy If anyone knows what I mean. I guess it's been famous on audis in the past..anyone else have this issue ?

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you mean that it feels like the steering wheel is centered on a ball bearing, it will either pull it left or right. (the truck still seems to drive straight though). I get it every 2 months or so, but it clears up once I restart the truck. Irritating, because I'm usually on a highway, so I'm stuck with it until I can get off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yesterday I just experienced that "Notchy" feeling in the steering. At 125K miles on my 2015 Canyon 4x4. At 70 MPH not a good feeling steering not quite centered and when attempting to center to go straight like a bind in the steering but on both sides of center. The bind continues around the complete rotation of the steering sorta like a u-joint or gear bind but every couple inches of rotation. I pulled over shut off the engine and could still feel the bind while rotation stiffer as expected with key off. Then restarted and all is back to normal. Not a comforting feeling, and in bad weather it would be an ugly situation. Called 2 dealers and they stated they had no clue, never heard of this, and would not be able to do anything unless issue could be duplicated. There is a steering issue recall #15595a but not for my Canyon.

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
My truck is 3 months old and every once and awhile I feel a glitch while driving in the steering, notchy.
But its just for a brief second or 2 at best. I believe in my case, its based upon a slow reaction of the sensors that road conditions/shape cause the truck to change direction then me making a slight slow correction. Not completely understanding this system, if road conditions etc cause me to go slightly right and I correct left, the direction coils cant figure out whats happening/????? Best I can come up with!!!

And now after thinking it over more, again not having first hand experience with this system, maybe the wear and tear on complete steering linkage system, worn parts causing more and more play, its exaggerating what I believe is happening with mine. Your getting feed back though the steering system due to play making the left coil activate and then by the wheel active the right correcting it. So fast in happening the system may bind??

Give me back the old system instead of gismo's and gadgets trying to think for me. 2% better mileage, 10 H.P. max saved under the the hardest use of system. Shutters on rad, this system, thinner metals, different metals etc and I get 1 to 1 1/2 over my 09, WHOOPI. I could lean up the gas fuel mix, advance timing using old technology to kept that under control and that old technology would drop NOx formation considerably verses the crap there using today!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anybody have an update on this? Mine did this 2 times within the last month.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mine does it less often, maybe once since my last post in October, ( I honestly can't remember ), that being said, I probably jinxed myself and it will happen tomorrow.
I run different rims and tires summer and winter, it would happen with either set up. It clears with a restart.
Generally I find there are a few gremlins in my Canyon that come out of the blue and disappear when I start her up again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.