Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado CCLB, 2.8L Duramax, Shadow Metalic Grey. 2" level kit
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has any experience with Stedi "project" for the low beams. I am running a set of Philips in the low beams and i am not entirely satisfied with the distance and intensity. I have had zero issues and they are much better than factory halogen. PROJECT H11 | H9 | H8 LED Projector Head Light Conversion Kit
I did a search and found nothing on them specifically.
Id be on the HID bandwagon if it wasnt for a bunch of headaches with Morimoto on a previous vehicle.

I know the LED conversation has been beaten to death, sorry to add to it.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been curious about these as well. Can't find much info on them. I was not impressed with the diode dynamics leds that I bought, so I'm looking at other options.

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,258 Posts
Curious if anyone has any experience with Stedi "project" for the low beams. I am running a set of Philips in the low beams and i am not entirely satisfied with the distance and intensity. I have had zero issues and they are much better than factory halogen. PROJECT H11 | H9 | H8 LED Projector Head Light Conversion Kit
I did a search and found nothing on them specifically.
Id be on the HID bandwagon if it wasnt for a bunch of headaches with Morimoto on a previous vehicle.

I know the LED conversation has been beaten to death, sorry to add to it.

Cheers
That is an interesting concept... Their site says it won't fit the Holden Colorado without cutting, so I would expect that would probably hold true for the US twins as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my suspicion as well. These seem to be the only potential reliable option I can find. But they seem to have zero info off the stedi site. The holden colorado is quite a bit different than the twins. At least from an offroad component perspective, I looked to import a few add ons that would not even come close. Headlights might be different

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That was my suspicion as well. These seem to be the only potential reliable option I can find. But they seem to have zero info off the stedi site. The holden colorado is quite a bit different than the twins. At least from an offroad component perspective, I looked to import a few add ons that would not even come close. Headlights might be different
If you want reliable HID, I "tested" several brands on my Sierra, until I found Xenon Depot. Have their HID kits and relay harnesses in both Sierra and Canyon, most reliable retro-HID's I have ever owned. The kit on my Sierra is 7 years old on second set of bulbs, and in the Canyon is going on 3 years old still plenty bright.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want reliable HID, I "tested" several brands on my Sierra, until I found Xenon Depot. Have their HID kits and relay harnesses in both Sierra and Canyon, most reliable retro-HID's I have ever owned. The kit on my Sierra is 7 years old on second set of bulbs, and in the Canyon is going on 3 years old still plenty bright.
The issue i have with HID is where I live, they arent reliable. Any HID is going to go bad, flicker or freeze. Nothing other than OEM works up here for very long

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The issue i have with HID is where I live, they arent reliable. Any HID is going to go bad, flicker or freeze. Nothing other than OEM works up here for very long
Been there (BC and AK literally), and done that. You want Hella, Bosch, Denso or Philips ballasts, as these are the brands the OEM's use. Flickering usually comes from lack of a relay harness and electrical interference from the vehicle's electrical charging system. Along with premature failure, it is commonplace with eBay/Amazon cheapo HID specials (I think you'll find the equivalent priced LED are no better).

XD offers both private labeled ballasts and the same Denso ballasts/Phillips bulbs that many OEM's do. The best indicator of quality HID is really the price. Private labeled cheapo ballasts like some of the Morimotos will be $50-$100 a set. Densos are $200 a set. You literally get what you pay for.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will just stick with LED options, as I said. I have had crap luck with HID and know that there are tremendous downsides to their reliability where I am (experienced first hand with headlights and my hid lightforce) and do not with the fight with components whem basic mail is an issue and I dont have a local source for replacements in a 2000km range.
Instant on is also real nice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a very long dark road trip, I have decided to test the Stedi option for the twins. I have them waiting for me when I arrive home in a week or so. The current led "upgrade" are dismal. Better than stock, but still shite.
I extensively compared the bulb sizes and have been assured they should fit. Update and review to come.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to take a crack at these LEDs today. They look like they are going to be a MUCH better option and much better built than the Philips I am currently using.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Install was the same as moat other brands. Aiming was a bit tricky (its -20°C, and my hands are numb) the cut off is more defined, including having the factory tip ups in the cutoff line and zero light scatter anywhere I can see above or to the side... but just not as clear with the rainbow like HID. Dust caps fit no issue.
The output is 2-3x that of the previous Philips I was using, down road is probably 400ft of "visible" light. Plenty. This is how these should have come OEM. i have not tried the other "high end" led options. But i can imagine the optics wont compare just based on what I saw with my previous set and placement of the chip sets on the other bulbs.
I am thrilled with these and hope they continue to run this way for a long time.
My light bars from them have been abused hard on my jeep, snowmobile and boat. Lets hope stedi has kept it going with these

·
Registered
277 Posts
I tried a similar set of those from amazon with the "360 Degree" LED setup. Didn't keep them in long enough because they caused interference with my backup camera and it smelled like burning plastic. I did keep the stop dust covers on with no modification.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried a similar set of those from amazon with the "360 Degree" LED setup. Didn't keep them in long enough because they caused interference with my backup camera and it smelled like burning plastic. I did keep the stop dust covers on with no modification.
Not 360 degree. The chip sets onky face down into the reflector bowl, basically like an led projector would. Zero scatter. Unlike the amazon types.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting concept they've got there. I've been using Hikari LEDs for a while in mine and haven't had an issue. Morimoto did just release their new two stroke LED bulbs that have been redesigned and seen to perform well.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
After a very long dark road trip, I have decided to test the Stedi option for the twins. I have them waiting for me when I arrive home in a week or so. The current led "upgrade" are dismal. Better than stock, but still shite.
I extensively compared the bulb sizes and have been assured they should fit. Update and review to come.
Mate,
Could you please give us the model numbers of your kit?
Tanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mate,
Could you please give us the model numbers of your kit?
Tanks.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Reactions: Yukondiesel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would be
LEDCONV-PR-H11
Thank you.
They wont work worth a dam in thw highbeams. The light will do wonky things outside a projector. But yes, h11 is lowbeam.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I ran the DD SL1s when they first came out. Color temp was too blue and throw was too dim against the snow and ice, like a lot of the LEDs on the market.

I switched to HIDs about 3 years ago, using a setup I picked from TRS. Hylux 2A88 ballasts, "canbus" adapters, 4300K Morimoto bulbs. Pleased with both the setup and performance. I do have a slight flicker sometimes on the pass light, but they only get used half the year, so I just left it. They are inexpensive enough to have a third ballast/bulb/adapter on hand without breaking the bank.

I am familiar with STEDI and have an ST4K 22" bar that is flat out amazing, but if I had to do LED bulbs, I'd probably do Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s. I run three in my Polaris and the color temp is warmer than the Diode Dynamics.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ran the DD SL1s when they first came out. Color temp was too blue and throw was too dim against the snow and ice, like a lot of the LEDs on the market.

I switched to HIDs about 3 years ago, using a setup I picked from TRS. Hylux 2A88 ballasts, "canbus" adapters, 4300K Morimoto bulbs. Pleased with both the setup and performance. I do have a slight flicker sometimes on the pass light, but they only get used half the year, so I just left it. They are inexpensive enough to have a third ballast/bulb/adapter on hand without breaking the bank.

I am familiar with STEDI and have an ST4K 22" bar that is flat out amazing, but if I had to do LED bulbs, I'd probably do Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0s. I run three in my Polaris and the color temp is warmer than the Diode Dynamics.
Side by side with wifes morimoto HID projectors, these throw just as far and 80%ish as "bright". This is on hard pack snow, not wet roads. But i am just as pleased.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts