Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This past weekend I had the truck offroad and I engaged 4Hi. Truck did fine, mostly dirt roads and wet grasses. I noticed a squealling sound when moving at less than 10 mph. After we were done and reached pavement I put it into 2WD and drove home. Truck was silent.

We had some rain yesterday so I put it into 4Auto and while pulling into my driveway (again less than 10mph) i heard the same squealing sound.

Is this normal when engaged in 4WD?? I have a 2016 Canyon AT with V6.

Thank you, George

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
That is not normal. A trip to the dealer is in order.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The sound in that video is not what I am experiencing. Mine sounds like brake squeal and oddly enough I believe I only hear when the truck is engaged in 4wd (any setting) and I am braking, so the truck is moving at 1 or 2 mphs.

It doesn't make the noise when in 2wd and applying the brake rolling at the same 1-2mph speed.

I do not see any fluid leaks and this sound is pretty new. I ran the truck in 4auto all winter and never heard this until last week.

Any other thoughts before I set up a service appointment with the dealer?

Thanks

George

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had this exact issue. Took it to the dealer and they cleaned a dust shield or something. That didn't fix it. Took it back and they had to replace a seal and re-lube it. The manager of the service dept, who I know very well, says that if I used the 4wd very much, that it would have to be replaced again. Nothing he could do about it, just bad engineering. It will happen much faster if you are using Auto 4wd since it will engage and disengage much more frequently.

EDIT see my post here:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-...n-forum/290569-front-end-squeal-auto-4wd.html

·
Registered
378 Posts
The manager of the service dept, who I know very well, says that if I used the 4wd very much, that it would have to be replaced again. Nothing he could do about it, just bad engineering. It will happen much faster if you are using Auto 4wd since it will engage and disengage much more frequently.
Seems like this would be a big deal, if true.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had this exact issue. Took it to the dealer and they cleaned a dust shield or something. That didn't fix it. Took it back and they had to replace a seal and re-lube it. The manager of the service dept, who I know very well, says that if I used the 4wd very much, that it would have to be replaced again. Nothing he could do about it, just bad engineering. It will happen much faster if you are using Auto 4wd since it will engage and disengage much more frequently.

EDIT see my post here:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-...n-forum/290569-front-end-squeal-auto-4wd.html

Nate, i was unable to launch the link to see if the sound you recorded is the same as mine. So according to your service manager, what exactly will need to be replaced if the 4wd system is used?? A seal or something else??

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more posts on here with similar issues if this is an engineering problem. I am making a service appointment. I will keep you posted on what develops with mine.

Thank you,

George

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nate, i was unable to launch the link to see if the sound you recorded is the same as mine. So according to your service manager, what exactly will need to be replaced if the 4wd system is used?? A seal or something else??

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more posts on here with similar issues if this is an engineering problem. I am making a service appointment. I will keep you posted on what develops with mine.

Thank you,

George
It was some sort of seal around the 4wd actuator. Using auto 4wd it is used more frequently and wears out pretty quickly. Keep in mind this happened before I'd had the truck less than 6 months.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a squeak coming from the front end. Seemed to occur at all speeds, but especially when it was hotter out. I don't use 4WD all that much. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the Front Output Shaft Seal. Looking at the warranty invoice now. They replaced the transfer case front output shaft seal, part #84146848. Charged GM 1.1 hours. That fixed my problem and it hasn't squeaked since the fix on 8/7/17.
Hope that helps. Good luck

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I had a similar squeal and I could only hear it when pulling into my driveway at under 5mph. The sound was like a ‘dry rubber boot rubbing on a rotating axle shaft’ kinda noise.

It would only do it in 4WD (both Auto & 4hi).

I did take it to the dealer and they *couldn’t replicate the problem* - of course. Told me to take it in as soon as I hear it again.

And actually...that was several months ago and I haven’t heard it since. Go figure......

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a similar squeal and I could only hear it when pulling into my driveway at under 5mph. The sound was like a ‘dry rubber boot rubbing on a rotating axle shaft’ kinda noise.

It would only do it in 4WD (both Auto & 4hi).

I did take it to the dealer and they *couldn’t replicate the problem* - of course. Told me to take it in as soon as I hear it again.

And actually...that was several months ago and I haven’t heard it since. Go figure......
Take a look at my prior post above with the "4WD chirping" link and see if you can get it to replicate with that. Seemed to do it more when it was cold out so thankfully we're turning to that part of the year. Pretty much warm it up exceeding 145* on the trans temp, run it in 4wd (either) for about 20+ mins and it should show itself. Mine even showed after switching back to 2wd once it started.

Wound up doing that to show the dealer myself how to get it to, then they left it over night and thankfully it did it the next day after they did the same. That's when they replaced the seal the other guys are talking about. That lasted about a month then it blew the front differential and they took apart the T-case again to replace some other seal on top of that. That's when I lost it and went BBB to GM.

Starting to wonder it this is a mileage thing that I was ahead of the curve on because I had some excessive highway mileage that shot up really quick. Started somewhere around 14k and got worse in the mid 20's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My truck makes a terrible screching sound when I first take off from a cold start. The sound is like brake calipers without shoes rubbing on the rotors. It is especially noticable when I am in a parking garage. People nearby will cover their ears because it so load and high pitched. I took the truck to the dealership and they were able to reproduce the sound. They gave it a lube job and indicated the sound was gone, but they are wrong. The sound is still there and getting worse. I hate GM dealership service shops. They are typically poorly run with techs that don't know or care what they are doing. I admit I am spoiled because my other cars are Mercedes-Benz. When I take the Benz in for service they give me a brand new Benz to drive and pamper you with multiple goodies. The GM dealership barely acknowledges you're there and doesn't even offer a ride to work or pickup. BTW, it's a 2015 4x4, Z71 with 35,000 miles. Other than this issue the truck has been great. This is my third Colorado.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thread revival - LOL. Mine's in the shop today getting this fixed for the 2nd time. They called it a 'dry seal' last time, but I'm skeptical about the seal being the issue at this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread again, but I took a video confirming the noise if you're interested:

Truck has 13,800 miles and the dealer replaced SEAL 84644580 under warranty. I noticed this is a different part number than others have posted. Hopefully this is an improved design and it stays quiet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.