Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was normal until after I had installed an eibach pro lift kit along with some freedom off-road upper control arms. Now have a terrible squeak coming from what i believe to be the control arm. Every little bump or anything i hear this annoying squeak. Anyone have any idea how to fix this/grease the bushings? just slap a load of grease on or what? Also could be the struts but 99% sure it is not. Def looks like the upper bushings on the control arm have been rubbing.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
More than likely is the ball joint on the UCAs. Those style of ball joints are notorious for this exact thing. But I could be wrong.

I'd recommend you spray a light grease like WD40 on one or two parts before driving and see what part takes the squeak away.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
can you check if there is any play in the shock shaft.

Im sure you did, but did you transfer BOTH stock washers from the OEM shocks to the eibach kit? Some people forget to install them since one of the washers is inside the stock OEM dust boot which causes the shock shaft to be unsupported in the top rubber isolator. But not sure if that would cause the squeak.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Silicone is best for the 2 bushings. Don't just throw any old grease in there get the right stuff. You'll probably have to take them off to apply.
Super Lube 92003 Silicone Lubricating Grease with PTFE, 3 oz Tube, Translucent White: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
They also have tube form if you have zerk fittings.

Idk if it has a uniball but tri flow is good for uniballs. But uniballs will always creak.
Amazon.com: Tri-Flow, 2 OZ Squeeze Bottle, Lubricant with Teflon - 2 Pack : Automotive

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
PS I have found on some of these aftermarket UCAs are not spaced properly.

If your kit has spacers and its TIGHT (with no bolt) then go to the hardware store and get some thinner ones.
If it has no spacers and is LOOSE then go to the hardware store and get some spacers (just washers). Lube the **** out of those before you install.

You want your 2 UCA mounts to torque flush with the UCA so as to avoid twisting which can cause squeaking. When you place the UCA in it should be 'snug' but not enough that you need a hammer. It's possible the UCA mounts have already been bent in which case youll just have to guess the proper spacing to get them bent back into position. Nothing wrong with that they are still structurally sound.

And try to even out the spacing. 2 thin spacers are better than 1 thick one. But really just play with it. You want the UCA to sit as neutrally as possible.

Sorry, that's probably a lot of info. Hopefully it makes sense. The UCA bushings work a lot better if they are properly lined up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts