Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So i got my 2021 AT4 leveled about a month ago and ever since then, I am have a squeaking coming from the passenger side front end. I took the truck back to the shop and they said they hear the squeaking but they have no clue what is causing it. They went over everything and stated everything looks normal. One of the guys in the shop suggested it may be a blown strut. But I did not have the problem until the truck was leveled. Any ideas of what it could be? Could all the bushings need to be greased? any ideas would be helpful!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2017 Colorado ZR2
468 Posts
I would check the sway bar link(s)

Sometimes the the nut or the whole link won't retorque properly after being removed and can cause a creak.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
Hey guys! So i got my 2021 AT4 leveled about a month ago and ever since then, I am have a squeaking coming from the passenger side front end. I took the truck back to the shop and they said they hear the squeaking but they have no clue what is causing it. They went over everything and stated everything looks normal. One of the guys in the shop suggested it may be a blown strut. But I did not have the problem until the truck was leveled. Any ideas of what it could be? Could all the bushings need to be greased? any ideas would be helpful!

Thanks!!!
lol blown strut would be way, way more noticeable.

A helpful diagnostic technique would be to find a way to rock the truck/drive the truck that reproduces it and then spray some WD40 or other light lubricant on various parts until it goes away. You're not going to hurt anything down there with WD40. I personally wouldn't spray it on a really hot engine block or exhaust since the gases in the can are combustible, but WD40 itself is not.

Reactions: Snipesy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol blown strut would be way, way more noticeable.

A helpful diagnostic technique would be to find a way to rock the truck/drive the truck that reproduces it and then spray some WD40 or other light lubricant on various parts until it goes away. You're not going to hurt anything down there with WD40. I personally wouldn't spray it on a really hot engine block or exhaust since the gases in the can are combustible, but WD40 itself is not.
When you rock the truck back and forth on the passenger side, you can hear the squeak coming from the front end. The drivers side does not squeak at all. The truck drives fine, alignment is dead on. its just this god awful squeak when ever you go over a bump or a little dip in the road.

·
Premium Member
3,087 Posts
When you rock the truck back and forth on the passenger side, you can hear the squeak coming from the front end. The drivers side does not squeak at all. The truck drives fine, alignment is dead on. its just this god awful squeak when ever you go over a bump or a little dip in the road.
Hahahahaha. Yeah, I have a very similar squeak and feel your frustration. Bothered me a lot more when my truck was my daily driver, but I narrowed it down to the UCA bushing and couldn't really do much about it.

If it's easy to get to squeak I recommend you get a can of WD40 and narrow down what it could be. Dealerships are much more cooperative when you do the diagnostic work for them (I know, you should have to but humans react better to requests for help when it involves both humans doing work rather than just tasking a problem to someone else AKA the dealership). I get it, new truck, shouldn't squeak, but nobody cares more about your truck than you.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Colorado Midnight Crew 3.6, 1.25" Trail FX level kit
207 Posts

Here is what was causing the squeak after I had mine leveled. I know you said they checked but who knows ? Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i worked on the truck all morning. No luck. Sway bar links were tight. Everything was tight. It appears the squeak really comes apparent when the passenger front dimps down over a bump or its a bumpy road. The wd 40 helped a little!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
So i worked on the truck all morning. No luck. Sway bar links were tight. Everything was tight. It appears the squeak really comes apparent when the passenger front dimps down over a bump or its a bumpy road. The wd 40 helped a little!
Try tightening them further. Don’t worry about torque.

They are stupid finnicky to get right. Do not follow the service manual and torque to 30 ft lbs or whatever it is.

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
You can't find a noise by looking at it (usually). You really need to have someone push the truck around and you feel/hear around for it. When you narrow it down by sound use your hand/fingers to feel the part. You can feel the noise believe it or not.
You could get lucky and lube it up some more and get it that way.
I think on a new truck the sway bar bushings are a good guess. You could loosen them up to lube them better then tighten back up.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
what type of leveling kit?

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
So the squeaking is coming from the bushings on the UCAs. Will loosening the USAs help the squeak? Or will silicone grease be a better option?
Is it from the UCA's bushings? I bet they where tightened with the arms hanging down. I don't think it will be easy but loosen them, jack up the lower arm to the point it starts to lift the truck. This way they are in there normal place when the truck is on the ground. Not twisted. Then tighten the crap out of them.
I'll look for a video.
found one

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it from the UCA's bushings? I bet they where tightened with the arms hanging down. I don't think it will be easy but loosen them, jack up the lower arm to the point it starts to lift the truck. This way they are in there normal place when the truck is on the ground. Not twisted. Then tighten the crap out of them.
I'll look for a video.
found one
Ill have to check it out. I may bring it back to the shop i had the work done at and be like here is the problem, can you fix it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so it is coming from the upper bushings for sure?
I sprayed them with wd40 on Friday and when you rocked the truck, you would not hear the squeaking. Today im assuming the WD40 wore off and its squeaking. When someone rocked the truck when i had my head under it, you could hear the squeak coming from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So a little update on the truck. It will be going to the dealership on Friday. Nothing working to get rid of the squeaking. The shop I got the level done at is insisting that it is a bad strut making the noise. I personally still believe it is the UCA or a ball joint. Hopefully the dealer can find the issue and it does not break the bank!

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Colorado Midnight Crew 3.6, 1.25" Trail FX level kit
207 Posts
Fingers crossed for you, they don't say adding level kit voids ........... , you know what I am going to say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts