Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a squeak at lower speeds when I go over bumps. Is it my leaf springs and can the dealer fix this (I am at 31,000 miles). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
It could be be anything in the suspension, including the shocks.

Leaf springs can get dirty - you can take the truck to a car wash and powerwash in between the leafs. However - the squeak will stop immediately becuase the water helps act like a lubricant. If you wait a few days after everything has dried up - whether the squeak is gone or not.

Personally, I wouldn’t spray any oils in the leaf springs. That will attract dust/dirt. Defeats the purpose of what I said above....

You could jump up & down on the bumper and see if you can replicate the squeak and perhaps have a ‘buddy’ listen for its location.

If you’re still under warranty - take it to the dealer and see what they say. Have them check the torque on the suspension eyebolts, shackles, Ubolts, etc.

Shocks can squeak also - if the shaft/s are dirty or dry. You could inspect them - see how much dirty is near/ on the shafts. If the shafts aren’t covered - more susceptible to getting dirty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had leaf springs replaced on both sides of my 15 canyon at about 30k miles. If under warranty I would go ahead and take it into the dealership. Apparently it takes a while to get those parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. I will be getting it looked at under warranty soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this issue, turned out to be the emergency brake cable not sitting in the holder correctly. I zip tied it to the holder and the noise it gone. Sorry no pics - look at the drivers side, the cable will be obvious.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine did this from new. Then I let my girlfriend drive the truck and she didn’t see a huge speed bump in a neighborhood and nearly got the truck airborne. Somehow that realigned everything and the squeak has been gone for several thousand miles. I can’t condone this method though lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine did this from new. Then I let my girlfriend drive the truck and she didn’t see a huge speed bump in a neighborhood and nearly got the truck airborne. Somehow that realigned everything and the squeak has been gone for several thousand miles. I can’t condone this method though lol
That goes right along with my motto: "when at first you do not succeed, use brute force"

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Oh heck no, can she come drive mine >:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had this problem for 45K miles. Ended up that the rear brakes needed brake grease. The guides and contact point on the pads needed a little grease and the annoying chirp of every bump went away. The dealer tried to find the issue twice. The final clue was that the squeak was worst when applying sight pressure to the breaks. Give it a try. It was a 45 min fix and virtually no cost.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had this problem for 45K miles. Ended up that the rear brakes needed brake grease. The guides and contact point on the pads needed a little grease and the annoying chirp of every bump went away. The dealer tried to find the issue twice. The final clue was that the squeak was worst when applying sight pressure to the breaks. Give it a try. It was a 45 min fix and virtually no cost.
This is dead on. This started to drive me insane. I saw something about it on Youtube. A simple application of grease and life is quiet. Trying to spot deer on dirt roads got to be a challenge.:x

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thank you for this good sir!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Mine's been doing this for over a year, around 20K miles or so. Drives me nuts when the window is open. But I have noticed that it almost goes away when I gently apply the brakes. No, it's not pad squeal. I suspect it's the brake hardware. Now that I'm home, I'm planning to do a brake job soon. I'll replace all the hardware, and make sure there's lube where it needs to be. Maybe that will help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.