Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Squeak/Chirp Sound in the Cab - Ext Z71 4X4

27K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  JBT 
#1 ·
My truck finally came in, and I love everything about it. Everything seems to be working fine except occasionally when driving I can hear a "squeak" or "chirp" (like a bird would make) in the cab. It happens when I go over a pot hole or uneven surface in the road, but not all the time. Typically I'm travelling about 40km/h. It seems to be coming from either the passenger side or mid-cabin in the back. I noticed another person is having an issue with a rattle, but in this case it definitely isn't that or a "sympathetic" vibration like a hitting seat belt or something just flapping around. My gut tells me it could be a loose shock holding the cab, or perhaps something related to a suspension leaf that has come loose or perhaps hasn't been properly lubricated. It has happened since day 1, the truck now has 140km and it hasn't gotten worse or shown any improvement.

Incidentally, the factory forgot to install the rear mud flaps (ordered that option but only had the front flaps when it arrived at the dealership) so I have to go back when those come in for the install and will also get this chirp looked into at the same time. Anyone have a similar issue yet? Do you suspect my gut feelings about the source are correct? Any other ideas where I may want to suggest the dealer poke around? I hope the dealer will agree to go for a test drive first with me so I can demonstrate the sound (thankfully it happens on the road right at the dealership), otherwise I'm sure it'll get chalked up to "well it's a truck", or "don't drive so hard", or "we couldn't hear any issues".

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
If you look on the price build site, there are two options and two prices for mud flaps. According to my local Chevy dealer parts dept, the factory flaps are not the same as the ones normally installed by the dealers. The dealer installed mud flaps are less expensive and a different quality.

#6 ·
So took some time to try to figure out how to reliably make the noise happen and it definitely wasn't coming from the shocks or suspension system. I took out the jack from the back seat and handle and confirmed it wasn't that either. I heard the sound again however when I banged on the back seat. Turns out it was coming from the interior roofing. I pressed around that for a bit and heard some clicks and that took care of it. From what I can tell whoever was assembling that part in the factory forgot to press on all the press-fit points in that piece of the interior which was the root of the noise. For now she's back to quiet again and me without any complaints. Fingers crossed it stays that way! 285km as of today and still loving her :)

#21 ·
THANK YOU!!!

I had the same chirp describe in this thread and could not for the life of me find it. Messed around with the back seats and moved things around and it never went away.

Because of this post I checked the roofing and sure enough a push upward on each side of the back seat light returned a nice little clicking sound and so far the chirp is gone!

#10 ·
I am glad you got it fixed and it was just an oversight from the factory. Hello GM, maybe you need to take a little closer look at these trucks before you ship them off. Unreal.
There should be some refresher training taking place.
From someone who might know..how quick does word get back to the assembly line that problems are showing up on sold vehicles and qc is alerted to check these items more closely?

#9 ·
I found the same thing. I posted this in the Interior forum thread about rattles:

"I haven't had any rattles but I noticed a squeak on the way home yesterday. Sounded like it was coming from the front of the dash on the drivers side. I had my GDO in the little compartment behind the dome light and when I pushed up on it to open it something felt loose. I pushed up on the headliner and it felt loose. I pushed up harder on the center of the headliner and felt something "snap" in. Headliner is now tight and the squeak is gone."

#13 ·
I think you are having the same "squeak" that I had on my 2005 and 2009 Colorado. I finally stopped it by taking loose the 3 bolts holding the right front fender to the inner fender and squirting some oil where the two meet at the bolt holes. You have to get the oil between the two pieces. Pic included.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I found my chirp and it was an easy fix. Mine had been there since day 1 (2016 Canyon CC bought 1-2-16) and was a single loud chirp whenever it hit a bump or pothole. It seemed to be coming from the back seat and was worse in cold weather. It was caused by the short (~12 inch long) plastic trim piece in the driver's side rear door sill. This piece is between the carpet and the painted door sill and joins two plastic trim pieces running front and aft. I could feel the piece flex when I put pressure on it with my hand which I thought was strange since the passenger side piece was solid as a rock. I pressed hard on the top of the driver side piece with the palm of my hand in several places and could feel it snapping into place. The result was that piece is now solidly attached and the chirp is gone. Hope this helps those with the chirp. It was ruining an otherwise remarkably quiet interior.

#23 ·
Sorry to be resurrecting such an old thread but this is one of the only ones that I can find with this similar issue as mine. I've had my Z71 Colorado with Crew short bed for 3 weeks now and only 900 miles on it. A few days ago I started hearing the squeaking only on left turns. Now I seem to hear them when just driving and hitting bumps on the road. I called the dealer and they can't get me in till next week due to low on loaners. This is getting very frustrating to say the least.

I went and started pushing around both dome lights and I haven't heard any clips snapping back in but boy does it seem like a cheap job on how GM designed the interior roof. I would of expected more for a Z71.

Any recommendations? It's just frustrating considering this is 3 weeks old.

#25 ·
I hate to bring up an old post. I have been having this problem in my new 2017 for about a week.

Like others I originally thought it was the panel behind the back seat. No matter what I push on or shake I can't recreate he sound. I can hear it though if I open and close the front drivers side or rear door from the outside. What's weird is I can't hear it front the inside but I get a distinct squeaking going over bumps in the cab. I checked the headliner like some have mentioned. I didn't hear or feel anything click into place but we'll find out tomorrow. I'll also check the still plates.

I've continuously put the back seat bottom up or folderee the back down. When I was testing today I could hear he squeak opening and closing the doors from the outsider like I mentioned, however, it stopped squeaking opening and closing the doors for right now.

I thought it could have been the flapper door in the back of the cab. I'm not so sure because I don't know how much that moves when hitting bumps.

#26 ·
Update: I know no one has replied but I think I found the cause of my squeak it and was the latch that locks the drivers side rear seat back to the back of the cab.

When I left work yesterday it instantly squeaking which is annoying. I swore it was from the back seat so I pulled over folded the drivers side rear seat back down and it actually stopped squeaking. At a red light pushed the seat back to the upright positino and it started squeaking again. I repeated the process once more in the drive home with the same result. Today I left the seat back folded down all day today with no squeak! I figured the sound had to be coming from either the latch or the seat back rubbing on the plastic under the back window. I figured the latch was the best place to start. I didn't have any grease but i did have some dry graphite lube. I sprayed up the latch, put the seat back and took the truck for a ride hitting as many bumps and I didn't hear a sound.

The only thing I can think is it's the rubber on the latch rubber on the metal ring that locks the seat back to the back of the cab. Oddly enough if I think of it now I never even folded down the seat back till about a week and a half ago. Not long after that is when I noticed the squeak. I'm thinking with the heat and not moving the latch too much the rubber may have molded to the ring a little and when I folded it down it might have move slightly causing it to rub and causing a squeak.

I'll know for sure if it doesn't come back in a few days but it got to the point it happened right away when I was driving hitting bumps. I still have the dreaded steering wheel clicking people complain about but that doesn't bother me as much as the squeak did.

#31 ·
I know this is an old thread.
But.
I really don't believe it!!
I just got a 2020 Z71 Colorado, and I had a squeak when I hit bumps. I could tell it was coming from behind me. I thought I had the source narrowed down to behind the center area of the rear seat, but could not pin it down.
I was wrong.
I tried the "push up on the headliner around the rear dome light" trick, and Voila! I got two distinctive positive clicks of push connectors engaging.
My squeak is completely gone!!
I admit, I don't think I ever would have found it if it wasn't for this thread! I would never have looked at the headliner. Just goes to show how acoustics can be tough I guess.
Thanks so very much!!

I am very puzzled as to why this is still going on in 2020 models though. I wonder if the connectors disengage somehow, or if they were never engaged to begin with out of the factory?

#32 ·
It is pretty messed up that this still continues. I love my truck and it is still going strong, but Chevy could have fixed this simple problem years ago. It just goes to show you the horrible quality control nowadays of manufactured products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.