Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel like I'm kind stuck holding my [email protected]#k in my hand because I bought the OEM sport bar and lights off criagslist for $1000 and I thought the wire hanging off of it was the harness I needed but it seems pretty clear now that it is not. So I can spend another $125 for the switch plus $80 for the harness and have the parts I need but now I see it may need some activation code. Does that come with the purchase of the switch or harness? I was dead set against getting raped by GM on these parts but now this has become an ordeal and I just want to install it but I need to know that this options is going to work on my 2016 Colorado.

I really hope someone has this answer so I at least know if this is a viable option to spend $200 and be done?

The other option is to run a switch and that doesn't seem too bad but then what do I do with the third brake light? I saw someone mention running it into the trailer lights and using some kind of harness for that but I can't picture how that would work. Has anybody done this who can give me specific instructions on how to make this option work?

I've read a lot of threads dancing around this subject but none of them seem to give clear answers on the install options for used sports bar and lights.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Oh 1000? I have one for sale for less haha, anyway.

Run a switch and harness, $10 bucks at amazon, for the 3rd brake light, run the cable to your oem 3rd brake light and splice into it, your oem brake light won't be seen anyway.

I spliced into it and disconnected it, routed from the sports bar left side, to the rear window, and it comes up under the 3rd(oem) brake light. then just splice wires and leave your OEM 3rd brake light disconnected.

and just channel that baby up using the window weather seal thing to under the oem 3rd brake light

when you're done with that, this should be your next mod

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-2nd-gen-electronics-audio-lighting/277106-extra-wire-behind-left-rear-taillight-2.html

$16 mod

Reactions: csufsnwbrdr

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Run a switch and harness, $10 bucks at amazon, for the 3rd brake light, run the cable to your oem 3rd brake light and splice into it, your oem brake light won't be seen anyway.

I spliced into it and disconnected it, routed from the sports bar left side, to the rear window, and it comes up under the 3rd(oem) brake light. then just splice wires and leave your OEM 3rd brake light disconnected.

and just channel that baby up using the window weather seal thing to under the oem 3rd brake light

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-2nd-gen-electronics-audio-lighting/277106-extra-wire-behind-left-rear-taillight-2.html

$16 mod
Thanks for the pics. I'm still exploring the OEM option but this option is looking better and better. I have just the one wire coming off of the sport bar is it easy to figure out what goes to the light and what goes to the brake light? My cousin suggest I hook a wireless fob up to it and not even have to run a switch and I think I may try that.

That bed mod looks nice, is that tied into the light switch?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I'm still exploring the OEM option but this option is looking better and better. I have just the one wire coming off of the sport bar is it easy to figure out what goes to the light and what goes to the brake light? My cousin suggest I hook a wireless fob up to it and not even have to run a switch and I think I may try that.

That bed mod looks nice, is that tied into the light switch?
there's multiple thread on it, basically;

The wiring for this is already in the truck, and you just need to connect to it, it works via the OEM switch in your dash. plug and play.

the brake light, just open up the oem 3rd like and you can see what goes where, I can post a pic once I remove mine if a fellow member purchases my sports bar. (in the talks)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there's multiple thread on it, basically;

The wiring for this is already in the truck, and you just need to connect to it, it works via the OEM switch in your dash. plug and play.

the brake light, just open up the oem 3rd like and you can see what goes where, I can post a pic once I remove mine if a fellow member purchases my sports bar. (in the talks)
I've seen multiple posts on this but none seem to come to a great conclusion, just a bunch of dummies like me saying what do I do. From the instructions I have seen there is a wiring harness that extends between the sport bar and the fuse box which offers plug and play but you also need the split switch. At this point I'd spend the additional $200 if I knew it would work but I am seeing people talking about needing a flash and still having problems. I went to a dealer today and asked them if I buy these parts would I need a flash and would it work, the response I got was it was 50/50 whether it would work and it cost $139 to flash it even if it doesn't work. Or are you saying you use the OEM wiring some other way?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've seen multiple posts on this but none seem to come to a great conclusion, just a bunch of dummies like me saying what do I do. From the instructions I have seen there is a wiring harness that extends between the sport bar and the fuse box which offers plug and play but you also need the split switch. At this point I'd spend the additional $200 if I knew it would work but I am seeing people talking about needing a flash and still having problems. I went to a dealer today and asked them if I buy these parts would I need a flash and would it work, the response I got was it was 50/50 whether it would work and it cost $139 to flash it even if it doesn't work. Or are you saying you use the OEM wiring some other way?
I was talking about the bed lighting, the 3rd brake light with the sports bar... Just splice into the cab 3rd brake light, it's a 5 minute job that's free and it doesn't hurt the wiring.

You are taking the oem (cab) 3rd brake light out of service(because you can't see it anyway with the sports bar) and you are taking that power over to the led on the sports bar. and route that cable via the widow still. The picture i showed you, that's the most you'll see. ive had it like this for over ayear with no issues, leaks, shorts, anything.

There is no Benefit to routing a cable all the way to the fuze box for the same pourpose and result.

So do this, install the sports bar hardware, place the sportsbar on the bed, about 2-3 feet away from the cab so you can work , with the cable out and flailing around cut it at the end at the connector.

Remove cab 3rd brake light, locate the brake light power (+ and - ), connect to it,solder, splice, connect to it... there's many ways. use electrical tape.

Test sportsbar brake light, (good test) re-install cab light housing, run that cable that's flailing around and in your way under the window startibg at the top and go left towards the driver side, down towards the cab and it ends where the picture ishowed you is. install sports bar.

Complete.

·
Registered
43 Posts

http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...-extra-wire-behind-left-rear-taillight-2.html

$16 mod
I am attempting to do the same thing~ Can you please repost or send me the pictures from above. They are no longer available!! Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have pictures of this? I am attempting to do this as well but, having a hard time understanding how/where to route the wire from the existing brake light to the 3rd brake light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.