Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone else made a build thread so might as well :grin2:

2015 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab Long bed.

First thing I did (after getting factory off road steps) was install a ReadyLift 2 inch leveling kit with sway bar bracket spacers (came with them in the kit). After pic shown

Plasti-Diped the emblems with the regular flat black, a couple coats of metallizer, then topped with glossifier. This way they came out with a metallic grey look instead of the regular flat black.

Removed air dam and added a rought country 30 inch led in the bottom bumper using the rough country brackets.

Added OEM Fender Flares:

Added a K&N 63 Series Cold Air Intake

Dropped off my truck at JBA performance for a week for them to test fit/ get measurements for their cat back exhaust system for our trucks.

Put on a set of OEM Chevy 265-65-17 Goodyear DuraTracs on 17' Black Rhino Tanay wheels in Matte Black with Machine Faced Double Dark Matte Tint. Waited forever for these wheels to come out in our bolt pattern after seeing them at Sema 2015.

Added Anzo Rear Step LEDS after someone hit me in the parking lot and scratched up the OEM step piece.

Installed Morimoto LED Fogs from TheRetrofitSource when they had their Group Buy.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Added a DIY light smoke tint overlay on the headlights after seeing the Chevy display trucks at Sema 16 for a slighty stealthier look

Elite Engineering Standard Catch Can Added:

Eagle Eye Version LED Tails installed:

GO Rhino Sport Bar 2.0 in black added:

Two 12 inch Rough Country Black Series Double Row LEDS added to the Go Rhino Sport Bar

And the current Exterior Look of the truck:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have any videos of the intake and exhaust? I bet it sounds great. Love the idea of the smoked headlights, does it impact the brightness of them at all?
The brightness seems the same to me, it’s just the color changed obviously. I’m running morimoto 5k hids that we’re nice and white before but now they show yellowish, almost like the stock halogens because of the tint.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't updated this in a while.

KNN cai is out, S&B non oiled intake is in.

Redline edition black and red COLORADO emblems switched in for the stock chrome ones.

Black Z71 emblems swapped in to complete the red/black theme

Tinted headlights are out, replaced by the square projector "smoked" headlights. Although they don't look very smoked to me, haha.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any interest in selling your stock headlights?

Truck is looking good.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice truck. How is the new intakes volume level? Also, what did you use to smoke tint the original headlights?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Intake is a lot quieter now compared to the KNN but you can still tell you have one. Although it does seem I lost some "ummph" at take off with this intake.

The original headlights were smoked with some ebay light smoke lens tint from ebay seller "rvinyl". it was the precut film for our trucks but knowing what I know now I would have gone with the universal large sheet instead of precut.

Any interest in selling your stock headlights?

Truck is looking good.
not planning on selling them for a while. they are hard to find without paying an arm and a leg so im going to store them in case something happens with these aftermarket ones.

What he said! Also, are those weathertech mud flaps?
yeah, those are the no drill weathertechs for trucks with fender flares.

What Morimoto fogs did you go with? I can’t find anything on the Retrofit Source web site saying they fit our Colorado/canyons.
I used the GM round fogs, i think they were listed as the sierra rounded fogs (since the silverados had square fogs) Mine have worked fine for the last 2 years, never had an issue with them. I know for some reason either something on the trucks or something in morimotos manufacturing changed since I read some 2016+ users were blowing them out frequently. But mine work perfect and have great cutoff and output compared to when i had LED bulbs in the stock fogs that just threw light everywhere.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont know what it is about my truck that makes the tires look small. They are the stock trail boss / Zr2 tires ( Duratrac 265-65-17). I think my rim width makes them less tall or something since on the zr2's they look taller.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had the same fog lights in my truck for almost two years and haven't had any issues either.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
I dont know what it is about my truck that makes the tires look small. They are the stock trail boss / Zr2 tires ( Duratrac 265-65-17). I think my rim width makes them less tall or something since on the zr2's they look taller.
I think it's a trick of the eye caused by the long bed. I have 265/70/17 Duratracs on stock wheels and they still look small compared to the 265/65/17 on the ZR2. The shorter wheelbase ZR2 makes the tires appear larger?

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
It's a combination of the squared top of the wheel well opening gap to tire vs front/back, and the +30 offset of your wheels keeping them tucked back into the well. 265/65-17 fill out the opening better un-leveled IMHO.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot I hadnt updated my build in a while.

Back in April installed the Bison Grille (had a run of about 5 months before everyone and their mothers truck had one, haha)

Finally installed Eibach RHA front shocks and 2 inch front coils I had sitting around for about a year. Set it on the 2nd notch for the 2.7 inch lift.

Also recently installed the Sonar style rear tail lights, but I think they are coming off because I am not diggin the white running light bar.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bored, so its time to update my build page. Going in chronological order based on the picture order in my album but im not sure on the actual dates I did everything :D

Sonar tailights were removed. I couldnt deal with the pink looking bar for me. Went back to the eagle eye Anzo Style tails.

Took off the $30 (total for all 4 total) Goodyear Duratracs I got on price mistake from this forum and switched them out for a set of BFG Ko2 with the white lettering out. Also pretty sure this was a price mistake at the time becasue they came out to $112 each for a D rated LT tire and I ended up getting over $100 in rebates back so they came out to like $400 for LT 265-70 BFGs. I seem to get lucky with tire deals.

Had to take off the front WeatherTech mud guards because they rubbed at full lock.

Also installed a Advance Accessory Concepts (AAC) Trigger 4 Plus wireless controller to control the lights. Trigger Controller 4 Plus | Trigger Wireless Accessory Controller

Allows me to control my lights without having to run wires through the cab because it uses a wireless controller. It also cleans up the wiring because I dont have to run relays for each light because the unit acts as the power distribution source (only 1 connection needed for power, plus ground, plus an optional IGN Only on wire to wire it so its only on with the key) and is fused for each of the 4 connections. This is the Trigger 4 plus, but they also make a "six shooter" with 6 outputs/switches.

This also lets me control the lights with my smartphone via Bluetooth and the phone app gives me the extra options to dim each output or put them in flash mode (flashes the lights like a strobe)

wireless controller before i put on the included light labels:

I added the wireless controller because I needed an additional switch to wire up my ditch lights and didnt want to run another wire though the firewall.

Went with the Baja Designs kit with BD Brackets and Squadron Sport lights.

Reactions: Curler20p

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Then switched out the stock sway bar endlinks with extended length ones.

Also experimented with adding the fog light trim with the led light strip from the 2019's to see if it would work on my 2015.

Came from the seller as chrome:

Ended up plasti-dipping them black with additional metallic flake and glossy-fier:

They were plug and play and worked perfectly. They turn on when the headlights are on. The splice into the stock headlight connector with a new "y" harness.

Installed:

Night shots:

Then picked up a set of Eibach Pro Truck rear shocks to match the front Pro Truck shocks i installed before. Took off the Bilsteins. Really only changed them out so they would match all around.

Then swapped out the Black Rhino Tanay wheels with Mayhem Prodigy wheels. Ended up being a cheap swap as I sold my Black Rhinos for 550 and the new ones cost me around 650.

The different offset of these pushed out the wheel a bit more. I got rubbing on the front at full lock on the front and back. I had to modify the front waffle plate behind the bumper/wheel liner and shaved a bit of plastic off the trim behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Scored a set of Caliper covers for $100 as a "scratch and dent" . I guess the retail was $300+ given the options on them (matte black, with the chevy bowtie, with the "rivets")
Fronts:

Rears:

Swapped out the front straight 30" Rough Country Light bar with a curved 30 inch black series for the front bumper:

Also changed out the 2x 12 inch double rows on the Go Rhino Bar for 3x 8 inch single row Rough Country Black series lights. No issues with the lights before, just wanted to try something different. I installed 2 of the new lights facing forward and one on the under side of the Go Rhino bar pointing backwards to use as an alternate cargo light. But I havent wired a separate connection to that one yet so I have it covered with the included blackout covers.

You can barely see the third light aimed backwards below the "GoRhino" label on the sportbar.

6-25-2020

Most recently picked up a zr2 skidplate for $50 and painted it with Steel Grey Steel-It paint.

And installed:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Wow this looks fantastic! Total transformation from stock. And love the new 3x8s, waaaaaay better than those raggedy old 12s. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts