Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get back to the ambulance house today and find an SUV parked in the driveway. We're like "Ahh Crap!" since people sitting in our drive are usually "drive up patients". I approached the vehicle and a police officer opens the back door and says "speed enforcement". This is a personal vehicle, private plates and a thin blue line plate on the front. Turns out, they're using a personal vehicle to video speeders and mail them tickets. I did some research and found that this is illegal on interstate highways except in active construction zones and only by DOT and State Police. No mention of state highways. I found another article that says such activities must be accompanied by signage within 250-500ft. of the operation. I'm very pro police, but this sure seems shady and since it's cold and raining, it seems like a situation where they just don't want to get wet. Our town only has one unmarked car and I'm really questioning the use of a private vehicle in a private driveway to conduct such operations. I really don't like the idea of a speeding ticket being mailed to someone from the driveways of ambulance houses or a fire station. People assuming that we're in on them getting popped could be dangerous for us later on.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I would be calling the county sheriff and see what they have to say about it. Then maybe your state representative or local TV station.

we had the local police run a speed trap on I-70 from the 3rd floor of a building, They put a blackened window in so you could not see them. The highway only ran for 2 miles in their city limits.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Cha Ching! Glorified tax collectors. They must be so proud to serve and protect the community. Staten Island does it with cameras at red lights. Ticket is in the mail. Don't speed or go through yellow lights.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The ambulance house and fire station is public not private property so they would be legal to sit there. The unmarked and personal plates thing is a different story, definitely sounds fishy!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The ambulance house is not public. We are private and not tax supported. Regardless, mixing law enforcement and first responders when it come to executing legal matters has been taught to us as being extremely dangerous. You walk on scene to help someone and they recognize you as being associated with law enforcement and things can go south quickly! We are rural and law enforcement is often not with us. Our jurisdiction quit paying for EMS 3 years ago. They just voted out their hospital district and like many places around the country, they are broke. My boss stays here because no one else will and even at a loss, he won't abandon the community.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Speed cameras, used on their own or in conjunction with driver feedback signs, can help to further encourage motorists to slow down.
not around here, as in Missouri everyone knows you cannot enforce a speed camera ticket. over 90% of people who received a ticket(before they outlawed speed cameras) never paid them. Speed cameras catch the vehicle not who is driving it. aas far as speed feed back signs, I check my speedometer against them on my triathlon bike....

·
Registered
475 Posts
License Plate Readers and Speed Cameras are now a part of Law Enforcement. Every State has laws that say how, if and where they can be used. This also includes Unmarked Patrol Cars.
I am also Pro Law Enforcement, but do expect them to adhere to the law. I used to be involved in Fire and EMS.
The aforementioned laws are not only for the safety and benefit of us as citizens but also for the Police Officers,

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Can you find an example of that law and post it? The State and statute number would be sufficient.

for Missouri too. not gona happen...they outlawed speed cameras 4 years ago. Like I said, they were giving tickets to vehicle owners even though someone else (wife son daughter friend etc) may have been driving it...saame with red light cameras.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is the common definition:
Routine traffic stop is a phrase used to describe a common vehicle code violation. In reality, there is no actual "routine traffic stop law." A law enforcement officer, pursuant to a driver committing a violation of the state or local vehicle/traffic code, initiates a traffic stop.
So in New York, an unmarked can't pull you over for speeding, no directional, no seat belt but could for DWI (as an example)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here is the common definition:
Routine traffic stop is a phrase used to describe a common vehicle code violation. In reality, there is no actual "routine traffic stop law." A law enforcement officer, pursuant to a driver committing a violation of the state or local vehicle/traffic code, initiates a traffic stop.
So in New York, an unmarked can't pull you over for speeding, no directional, no seat belt but could for DWI (as an example)
Thanks. I was actually being kinda a smartass by pointing the "routine" thing out. Ive been a cop for 20 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts