Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source for that yellow plug that lets you drain water from the separator at the fuel filters? Mine is leaking and dealer says they’d have to replace the whole assembly at $$$. It’s just that o-ring.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This has come up before. AFAIK, the only way to get the plug is to buy the entire housing.

If it's broken/missing/leaking, I would consider very gently tapping it for a pipe plug. Once sealed, I would never touch it again.

I don't use the yellow plug, because I'm afraid I'll break it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It would be much cheaper to just buy the O-ring. Even if you have to buy numerous o-ring kits to find the right one. Somebody has to make one that fits. Just make sure they are diesel fuel compatible.

I have not had to change my fuel filters yet, but just by their flimsy design of the water/fuel drain plug, I have thought about having one made at a machine shop, out of aluminum. It just looks like a fail point for off-roaders.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This has come up before. AFAIK, the only way to get the plug is to buy the entire housing.

If it's broken/missing/leaking, I would consider very gently tapping it for a pipe plug. Once sealed, I would never touch it again.

I don't use the yellow plug, because I'm afraid I'll break it.
I thought you should use the yellow drain to make sure the water is removed. (I know we have a sensor)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all. I’ll try an o-ring search. If I find a good match I’ll post it.
If you have a Mac's in your area give them a try. We have one in Fargo where you can find any o ring. There's even this short Irish guy who can find you anything in the store. As someone else mentioned I don't like the position of that plug. Looks like an errant corn stalk could pop it right off easily. Guys on here have over a grand into a full set of the superskidz and yet a plastic plug on a plastic housing that holds their fuel is level with the frame rail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, I broke the Water Sensor off with a stray mesquite branch in my own pasture. Unsure If I could extract what was left I purchased the entire assembly for just a little more than the cost of the sensor and 2 new filters it came with. It arrived with the yellow drain plug broken in the bag in the box! The vendor had no options to replace it and gave me a discount on some filters. As it turned out I was able to drive a screwdriver into the remains of sensor and back it out, so didn't need filter housing or drain plug. Needless to say the sensor is guarded now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would be much cheaper to just buy the O-ring. Even if you have to buy numerous o-ring kits to find the right one. Somebody has to make one that fits. Just make sure they are diesel fuel compatible.

I have not had to change my fuel filters yet, but just by their flimsy design of the water/fuel drain plug, I have thought about having one made at a machine shop, out of aluminum. It just looks like a fail point for off-roaders.
The correct Oring is a #41 9/16" O.D. x 7/16" I.D.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is my first attempt to make a replacement for the easily broken yellow plastic plug for the fuel filter housing. I have to test it to make sure it fits and does not leak. Also need to find a place to anodize it yellow. I’m thinking of make a small batch if anyone is interested. Don’t know price yet as I need to get costs of anodizing. I’m doing this on a manual lathe and mill.

Household hardware Auto part Electric blue Font Engineering

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
Corrosion resistance. It’s a harsh environment under the truck, especially in places with winter. The salt would eat the bare aluminum pretty quickly.
Exactly! The aluminum factory remote oil filter mount on my S10 ZR2 rotted away and left the oil filter dangling by the lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can get replacement plugs or just the o-ring, look in this thread for part numbers YELLOW FUEL FILTER PLUG
I’m aware of that thread. None of the items suggested are proper or good solutions. Nylon and diesel is a no-no. It also absorbs water and swells. Also, people are using the wrong o-ring material. The factory material is flourosilicone and they are blue. Viton is probably OK if you replace it when you replace the filters, other wise it could fail. Butyl is a no-no with diesel, plus it is too soft and easily damaged. Also, the housing is aluminum. Brass reacts with aluminum. Steel and even stainless steel will also react and you will find them frozen in place or the thread will come out with the plug. I looked into using plastic, Torlon PIA is the proper material as it is OK to use with diesel and it does not absorb water. But it costs $61 a foot while aluminum is under $6 a foot. Those are McMaster-Carr prices, so there is more savings to be had with bulk purchases from other vendors. Even with the added expense of anodizing its still way less expensive.

You don’t have to buy one when I finally make them available. It’s for those that need a replacement or want one that won’t fail and has a small bling factor.

For anyone that just needs a new O-ring, this is the correct one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts