Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently had my resivor tank replaced a few months back. Like the forum said me level was at the bottom of the arrow. I then filled it up to the top of the arrow mark as recommended on here and noise went away. This was about 2000 miles ago just yesterday the noise returned slightly so I checked the tank level today and noticed it was at the bottom of the arrow mark. Is slightly loosing coolant normal? I haven't noticed any leaks. I hate to take it to the dealership if its normal to loose a little coolant due to evaporation. Anyone had this issue? Thank you!
Coolant loss isn't normal, but if there was still some air in the system that worked its way back to the surge tank then that would drop the level. If you top it off again and the level drops again then you may have an issue. I had to top mine off a couple of times due to residual air in the system, but once the air was out the level hasn't changed at all except for normal changes w/ coolant temp and expansion/contraction.
Copy that! Thank you Sir!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I hate the gurgling, and would love to see if they had put out the new reservoir. Last I heard was 6-8 months ago was they were still engineering a fix. I'm getting an oil change tomorrow, so I'll ask, doubt they'll have an answer though.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I hate the gurgling, and would love to see if they had put out the new reservoir. Last I heard was 6-8 months ago was they were still engineering a fix. I'm getting an oil change tomorrow, so I'll ask, doubt they'll have an answer though.

Somewhere, not sure if it was here or on Facebook, it was mentioned that a new expansion tank part was available. This was like 3-4 months ago probably. All I can come up with from the parts sites is part number 84388367 replaces 23144522, but I don't have a date showing when that change was made, but given how few search results there are for the 84388367part number I'd have to think that is a pretty new part.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is the correct part number for the new tank. I got mine replaced yesterday and that is the same part number printed on my paper work. They had to order the new tank and took about a week to come in. I gave them the service bulletin number, 19-NA-007.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Update

I noticed after they replaced my resivor tank a few days after the coolant level was at the bottom of the arrow! I bought some coolant from the dealership topped it off to where the other members here have mentioned and noise is gone! Thank you for this post and info @DieselDrax!
My other issue is the air bag rattle! Is there a fix yet for this??

The air bag rattle.. what is it sounding like cause I’m starting to hear a sound like a clip is loose when I go over bumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still trying to figure the rattle out. I'm not sure but it's pretty consistent. Just dont want the dealership messing around with all my plastics making it worse or better yet damaging something. Mine is a rattle not a squeak like others mention. If I hold the air bag or try and wedge something in there it makes no difference the noise is still there.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
You should prolly catch up on this thread then by rereading what you've missed because the new reservoir was posted on the last page.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Took my Colorado into the shop for my 27k oil change. I brought up the water issue and initially the service guy was clueless until I showed him a tsb number. They don't have the new tank in stock, so they are overnighting it and should install tomorrow. Hope this fixes it!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone pay for this out of their own pocket? Curious to see what the cost would be for those that are no longer covered by a bumper 2 bumper warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Anyone pay for this out of their own pocket? Curious to see what the cost would be for those that are no longer covered by a bumper 2 bumper warranty.
Scroll some bro. If scrolling doesnt work, try looking at another page. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a thread on Service bulletin/recalls. I’m getting my truck serviced for the rushing water sound. And would like to bring up all other concerns. Thanks

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a thread on Service bulletin/recalls. I’m getting my truck serviced for the rushing water sound. And would like to bring up all other concerns. Thanks

They will know about any open recalls and they will only apply fixes for bulletins if the problem is actually happening. You cannot have them proactively apply a TSB without the problem existing as the bulletins are telling dealers how to fix certain common issues. So if they can't reproduce the concern outlined in a TSB then they can't apply the fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Colorado WT 2.5l with same sound. The noise is only heard when cold after start up with acceleration. My guess is that it has to do with the position of the overflow in relation to the heater core. I haven’t messed with it because it only has 3k miles on the truck and I was going to address the issue at it’s first oil change(5k miles.) I can’t help but think that extending the reserve lines may prevent air getting regurgitated into heater core because they would fall below the level of the core instead of above. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It sounds like the cooling system has some air in it alright. I'm not sure I would wait too long. IF air is present it can cause other more serious issues in the cooling system and potential for engine over heating in some areas if air get into the engine block coolant passages.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I can see how this air existent in the cooling system could cause some of the failed heater cores that have been mentioned in the past on this forum. Would be a good idea to address the issue soon.

Reactions: CaryBosse

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Add me to the gurgle party.....2016 Canyon 28K miles. Just started hearing this after the holidays after the truck sat for a good 5 days. ..... I’m gonna stop at the Dealership service dept today and ask them to top-off my overflow tank. I think they’ll do this for free (and no appointment needed). It’s about 3/4” below the seam. Then - I think I’ll do the ‘burp’ thing (leave cap loose and drive around). Hopefully this will help...... I’ll be visiting the dealer in a month or so for inspection (& maintenance) In case this doesn’t help. Crossing fingers....

·
Registered
385 Posts
My 2017 does it and I mentioned it when I first bought it and they didn't fix it. Annoying that its now way out of B2B warranty and I'll have to pay to fix it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The first time I mentioned it to my dealer they said they heard it but there is no solution from GM (Feb 2017). I switched dealers for service and mentioned it again at my final warranty work and they said they could not duplicate it but if it happens again or becomes super noticeable, they will repair it because I brought it up during warranty time frame. And by repair it I mean replace it with the new "surge bottle" that GM released about a year ago or so.

I then just researched the forum and found that topping it off with some dex cool 5050 slightly above the cut off line eliminates the water sound or minimizes it by 95%.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts