Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Softtopper came in today and I promptly unboxed it and put it on.

the instructions and assembly were damn easy. I suffered head injuries awhile back and my reading comprehension is pure ****, however I had only limited issues with this installation. This is the 1st time in a long time that I didn't need assistance to understand something as simple as "put tab A into hole B" (not kidding, that can cause all sorts of shorts in my wiring)...

The quality of the material seems pretty good and overall Im very happy with the outcome. I need to pull a bit here and there to get the fit "perfect" but its pretty darn good.

Next up is a bed rack for my RTT...and where will I mount this re-purposed heavy duty stainless box...hmm...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Very nice! The tan looks great on your truck. You'll really going to like the top.

After you've had it on for awhile it'll kind of self form fit itself to the frame. If you make sure to tuck and create it nice each time you fold it up, it'll soon just fold right up correctly on its own.

I took mine all apart, drilling out the pivot rivets and everything, removed all the snaps and plastic parts, and had it all powder coated black. Softopper was awesome and sent me new rivets to reassemble it for free. It was worth all the work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Love my soft topper, I really only use it for camping trips it goes on super quick after the first few times. My only complaint is that they don't attach those little rings to the frame somehow, lost those the second time I used it. I blame them for my terrible memory.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Love my soft topper, I really only use it for camping trips it goes on super quick after the first few times. My only complaint is that they don't attach those little rings to the frame somehow, lost those the second time I used it. I blame them for my terrible memory.
I just always put the rings back on the pins when I take it off.

Whenever I get around to building my rack to go over the Softopper, I'm going to build new bed rails that will replace the Softopper rails, and the rack will easily mount/dismount to/from the bed rails, and the Softopper will mount to the same rails. And I'm going to modify how it mounts so there will be no pins sticking out when the topper is off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Curious - how hard is this to take on and off? I am currently using a rollup tonneau cover that I like because it has a little more security to it, and am debating getting a softopper and switching between the two depending on the season or whatnot. Is that a terrible idea? haha

·
Registered
138 Posts
Curious - how hard is this to take on and off? I am currently using a rollup tonneau cover that I like because it has a little more security to it, and am debating getting a softopper and switching between the two depending on the season or whatnot. Is that a terrible idea? haha
This is exactly what I do. It's about as easy to take on and off as a standard tonneau cover.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I take mine off frequently. From fully up it takes less than 2 minutes to have the top off. It would take another 5 minutes to get the rails off. Pretty easy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I almost bought the tan cover, but decided on black to go with my orange truck. Very nice addition you made with the softtopper.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I took mine all apart, drilling out the pivot rivets and everything, removed all the snaps and plastic parts, and had it all powder coated black. Softopper was awesome and sent me new rivets to reassemble it for free. It was worth all the work.

Any update on how the powdercoat is holding up? It looks damn good in your pics!

After seeing your pictures I am considered doing the same, but my soft topper frame rubs / binds on the front rail clamps when folded / unfolded and has scratched the frame a bit in that region. I'm not sure that it would stay looking as good as yours.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It still looks great. Mine doesn't rub there. Can you move your rails out just a bit?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Well, I did have mine pushed out as far as the clamps would allow.

Now I have bed rails without clamps.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Umm.. no clamps? How?
I made bed rails that allow me to have my topper on and mount a rack for my roof top tent. An aluminum angle sits on the bed side, and 1" aluminum square tube welded to it. I used the snaps off the rails that came with the topper and put them on my rails.

I made a system that works with the stake pockets to secure the whole thing without having to drill holes in the bed. The only mod is cutting out the outlined cover over the front stake pockets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice! The tan looks great on your truck. You'll really going to like the top.

After you've had it on for awhile it'll kind of self form fit itself to the frame. If you make sure to tuck and create it nice each time you fold it up, it'll soon just fold right up correctly on its own.

This looks great! I’ve been wondering how hard it would be to paint the frame for my Softopper black. I have a black Tacoma and couldn’t find a post anywhere on the Tacoma sites showing a photo of the frame after being powder coated. How hard was it to disassemble it? And any tips? I don’t wanna accidentally break the frame then be SOL. Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts