Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've got a 2019 crew cab 4wd LT with about 23k on it. For as long back as I can remember, the brakes have felt soft, and it seems to take a while before they engage fully. Since new, this truck has not given me the firm from the top pedal feel I would expect after a new brake job, or on a brand new truck. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pressure, especially in panic stops, but the pedal travel is enough to make me think WTH from time to time. The reservoir is full, and I've never seen any fluid leaks. I'm not a mechanic, so I have no specialty diagnostic tools. It's not thrown any codes. Are there known issues with my problem? I've searched the forum, and only seen results for clicking/grinding, or pedal to the floor. Please forgive me if I've missed something.
Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you pump the brakes a few times eventually you will lose all travel and the pedal should just lock in place and feel very stiff. If it continues to slowly creep down that is indicative of a leaking master cyllinder or air in the lines compressing.

Could also be an EBCM and/or wheel speed sensor issue but that’s insanely unlikely and would give a service warning.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
my 18 took about 6 months to break in. I was complaining about it. They didn't feel "soft", but the grab I have now is much better

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
the big thing is, What are you comparing it to?
Every truck I have had has been different, as well as my wifes Jeep, it is real sensitive compared to my truck..

She better not be taking a drink of her coffee when I am coming up to a stop sign in her Jeep

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My brakes had little bite new. It took some miles to really bed in The pads?

Today they have great bite.

Not sure if it is the type of pad compound or if it was the treated rotors as they were my first set.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Hey all,
I've got a 2019 crew cab 4wd LT with about 23k on it. For as long back as I can remember, the brakes have felt soft, and it seems to take a while before they engage fully. Since new, this truck has not given me the firm from the top pedal feel I would expect after a new brake job, or on a brand new truck. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pressure, especially in panic stops, but the pedal travel is enough to make me think WTH from time to time. The reservoir is full, and I've never seen any fluid leaks. I'm not a mechanic, so I have no specialty diagnostic tools. It's not thrown any codes. Are there known issues with my problem? I've searched the forum, and only seen results for clicking/grinding, or pedal to the floor. Please forgive me if I've missed something.
Thanks,

Jason
It's probably nothing, there was another nitwit (lol) on here a while back throwing fits about his new truck's brakes, soft pedal he said. He went to the dealer many times, I don't know what ever happened in the end.
Anyway, it is probably perfectly normal if the truck stops good. If in doubt of course get it looked at or drive another one like yours and compare.
Funny but every vehicle is different, even when it comes to brakes. But the bottom line is: Does it stop straight and in a reasonable amount of space? Does the pedal not go to the floor? If so then you are most likely A ok.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2016 Laser Blue 4x4 Extended Cab 3.6 LFX V-6 with Flux Capacitor Upgrade
666 Posts
Hey all,
Thanks,

Jason
The brakes on these trucks are one of the high points of the design. Best brakes I have had on any vehicle I have ever owned. They are always "right there" and smooth with no lack of stopping power. What you are describing is not in your head. Don't believe me? Take another Colly for a test drive. I would take it in under waranty to see if a mechanic can take a drive with you. Have him/her drive with you as a passenger. I realize brake wear is not a warranty item, but the brake mechanical items and control of them is warrantied. It sounds as if the brake lines need bleeding.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sounds like air in the lines. Have a qualified mechanic bleed them for you. Changing parts without ensuring the lines are free of air is throwing money away. I’ve had 3 GM vehicles in a row. My Colorado has the best I’ve ever had from them. The two Sierras had crap for brakes and went thru several sets of pads, rotors and calipers on them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies; I appreciate the help. I had it at the dealer for an unrelated warranty issue last week. Service advisor told me the pedal feel was "engineered that way for driver comfort." I insisted one of the techs check it out. The determination was ultimately "air in the calipers." System was bled, and it was great when I picked it up.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies; I appreciate the help. I had it at the dealer for an unrelated warranty issue last week. Service advisor told me the pedal feel was "engineered that way for driver comfort." I insisted one of the techs check it out. The determination was ultimately "air in the calipers." System was bled, and it was great when I picked it up.
Glad to hear they fixed the issue and thank you for coming back to update your thread! :D

Reactions: CaryBosse
1 - 10 of 10 Posts