Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Call me crazy but I decided to add man steps on the ZR2. Don't get me wrong. The OEM rock sliders are a great compliment to the ZR2s but here in Texas, I rarely see myself rock crawling. If that day comes I'll just slapped them back on. The biggest problem I have with adding nerf bars and running boards is that all of them hang too low, does not provide adequate stepping area, and most running boards just dont carry the looks for me. So what did I do. After reading one member's review, I bought a set of Westin Thrashers and fabrication began! :surprise:. Reducing about 2" End results. Perfect! Tuck up, in as close to the body as possible. Add a couple photos to show how low they were initially.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Those look really good, I love the tucked in and up look. Could you elaborate on the fabrication needed for that, or point me to the member's review you reference? I've tried searching but am unable to locate it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Those look really good, I love the tucked in and up look. Could you elaborate on the fabrication needed for that, or point me to the member's review you reference? I've tried searching but am unable to locate it.

Count me in as well. Those look really good and they don't stick out 1/2 mile like every other set of side steps I've looked at...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to @orbiteleven build thread. He posted how low the original brackets hanged. So I gambled on the idea that if i could cut the diagonal mid-section out. The max I could cut was about 1.5" and weld it as a lap joint making it just shy of 2". To get all 6 pieces consistent, I drew out a template on the first welded piece. Allowing all the pieces to line up nicely and bring the boards in-ward about 1"

I can now use the steps to access the roof when washing and definitely holding strong . As an all metal construction they are quite lightweight at about 63 lbs vs the OEM 3" offroad steps 43lbs. I figure the rock sliders weigh in closely the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.