Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So I finally installed my unit three days ago. It took about 3 weeks to get to me and then sat in my room until I had a day off. Sorry, I have no pics of the install because it was just too hot here in Texas and I was outside trying not to short circuit anything from all the sweat.

Unboxing the unit everything was in there that I needed. I purchased the Carplay plug and actually don't need it. I'll go ahead and talk about post-install.

I have steering wheel controls just like the OEM radio. The display looks just like the OEM console. It is taking me a few tries to finally get used to where everything is. When I find an issue, I got to the companies website and submit a ticket. Then I dig around on their website and find a video solving the problem. My two issues so far that I put tickets in for
1) I didn't know if it stayed in console mode once I turn it off and yes, it does.
2) Tried to play Pandora and Youtube. After the ticket was submitted, again found a video followed the steps and still had no sound on the apps. What the video fails to tell you is that you can't have your phone plugged into the aux port to get sound out of the apps. Problem solved.

The tablet is fast for what I plan to do with it. I have the 2 gb monthly plan for my Colorado's wifi. So I will see how quick I burn through that using Pandora.

The factory back up camera is kind of blurry around the edges now due to the screen size but I don't depend on it when I am backing up. Still do the old turn around arm on passenger seat thing. I plan on installing a front camera once I figure out where to run the power to it. There is a fuse spot marked front-facing camera in the owners manual that I may tap into.

Ok now onto the install.

I first watched this video to get me started and then modified my install

I decided to go with the steering column first. I didn't need to unbolt it. Just a simple squeeze on the left side and it popped right off. Installed the provided wire adapter and then went to popping off the bezel from around the radio. Here is where I used a butter knife and it popped right off with no issues. From here I had to take off 9 of the clips like in the above video. I bought some off of Amazon but they were too big. They came off with a pair of needle-nose pliers with a little force.

Now onto the radio. Unscrewed the 4 bolts and it came out with no issue. Then the ac vents, again no issue. I kept thinking when is it gonna get ugly?!?!?! From here I needed to run the provided GPS antenna. I didn't like the idea of placing it on the windshield and running the wire. Sooooo. I popped the little bin in the dash up and pocked a hole that can't be seen and ran the antenna wire through it and down into the radio compartment. Now the radio install begins.

I used an old fishing pole and ran the wire for the steering wheel controls with no problems. Then I ran the extra provided aux cable to the glove box. I connected all of the provided wires extensions and decided not to connect the yellow video cables for the front facing cameras and possible DVD player (may still end up installing that) and now came the moment of truth. I stuck the provided speaker onto the inside of the compartment. it is for the Android's built-in navigation system. It sounds crappy but hey... it's from China so what do you expect.

I turned on the Colorado, on popped the boot up screen and BOOM!!!!! I have a Tesla style screen in my dash. I did have to disconnect one of the wires from the steering wheel controls (the install video mentions there are two and trial and error tells you which one) so after that, I now have to bolt it all in.

I kept having issues and it wasn't until a few cuss words were said that I realized the AC wire was in the way. Pushed all of those deep into the cavern and it bolted right down.

Overall, I am pleased with the radio. Is it worth $770? Probably not. I could have done something else to the Colorado but it's mine so I'll spend my money on what I want lol.

I guess I should have waited until last Friday because that is when I saw that they now have a FASTER/NEWER model for $860

Oh well. Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

The total time it took me to install was approximately an hour and a half with no issues. I am really reconsidering the front-facing camera because I don't want to run wires and all of the install issues with the camera.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is a cool upgrade option thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That thing is pretty cool

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Pretty cool upgrade, as long as you do not use it while driving and kill an innocent motorist, or pedestrian.

Reactions: American Truck

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I love the install, I keep telling my self id like to get one for my truck. I did a little reading and i thought i read somewhere that is doesnt work for the 19s yet....guess lll do a little more research before i pull the plug, but so far i like what i see....Way To Go!

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Yes but will need a dongle or here is what I got off there web site. Dongles can be purchased or used as stated below.

Do Android radios support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay?

Not at the moment. However, Android radios support MirrorLink. You can connect iPhone or Android smartphones, and display their screen on the radio. With Android phones, you can also control your phone through the touchscreen of the radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really happy to see that yours is working as expected.

I recently ordered one of their units and started to get a little nervous when I saw their BBB page (can't link directly because its my first post on this site).

Really hoping mine will work as expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts

So I finally installed my unit three days ago. It took about 3 weeks to get to me and then sat in my room until I had a day off. Sorry, I have no pics of the install because it was just too hot here in Texas and I was outside trying not to short circuit anything from all the sweat.

Unboxing the unit everything was in there that I needed. I purchased the Carplay plug and actually don't need it. I'll go ahead and talk about post-install.

I have steering wheel controls just like the OEM radio. The display looks just like the OEM console. It is taking me a few tries to finally get used to where everything is. When I find an issue, I got to the companies website and submit a ticket. Then I dig around on their website and find a video solving the problem. My two issues so far that I put tickets in for
1) I didn't know if it stayed in console mode once I turn it off and yes, it does.
2) Tried to play Pandora and Youtube. After the ticket was submitted, again found a video followed the steps and still had no sound on the apps. What the video fails to tell you is that you can't have your phone plugged into the aux port to get sound out of the apps. Problem solved.

The tablet is fast for what I plan to do with it. I have the 2 gb monthly plan for my Colorado's wifi. So I will see how quick I burn through that using Pandora.

The factory back up camera is kind of blurry around the edges now due to the screen size but I don't depend on it when I am backing up. Still do the old turn around arm on passenger seat thing. I plan on installing a front camera once I figure out where to run the power to it. There is a fuse spot marked front-facing camera in the owners manual that I may tap into.

Ok now onto the install.

I first watched this video to get me started and then modified my install

I decided to go with the steering column first. I didn't need to unbolt it. Just a simple squeeze on the left side and it popped right off. Installed the provided wire adapter and then went to popping off the bezel from around the radio. Here is where I used a butter knife and it popped right off with no issues. From here I had to take off 9 of the clips like in the above video. I bought some off of Amazon but they were too big. They came off with a pair of needle-nose pliers with a little force.

Now onto the radio. Unscrewed the 4 bolts and it came out with no issue. Then the ac vents, again no issue. I kept thinking when is it gonna get ugly?!?!?! From here I needed to run the provided GPS antenna. I didn't like the idea of placing it on the windshield and running the wire. Sooooo. I popped the little bin in the dash up and pocked a hole that can't be seen and ran the antenna wire through it and down into the radio compartment. Now the radio install begins.

I used an old fishing pole and ran the wire for the steering wheel controls with no problems. Then I ran the extra provided aux cable to the glove box. I connected all of the provided wires extensions and decided not to connect the yellow video cables for the front facing cameras and possible DVD player (may still end up installing that) and now came the moment of truth. I stuck the provided speaker onto the inside of the compartment. it is for the Android's built-in navigation system. It sounds crappy but hey... it's from China so what do you expect.

I turned on the Colorado, on popped the boot up screen and BOOM!!!!! I have a Tesla style screen in my dash. I did have to disconnect one of the wires from the steering wheel controls (the install video mentions there are two and trial and error tells you which one) so after that, I now have to bolt it all in.

I kept having issues and it wasn't until a few cuss words were said that I realized the AC wire was in the way. Pushed all of those deep into the cavern and it bolted right down.

Overall, I am pleased with the radio. Is it worth $770? Probably not. I could have done something else to the Colorado but it's mine so I'll spend my money on what I want lol.

I guess I should have waited until last Friday because that is when I saw that they now have a FASTER/NEWER model for $860

Oh well. Sorry I didn't take any pictures.

The total time it took me to install was approximately an hour and a half with no issues. I am really reconsidering the front-facing camera because I don't want to run wires and all of the install issues with the camera.
How has this unit been working? I’ve heard horror stories with it. If anyone could share their views in terms on long term longevity I’d really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
689 Posts
It appears to be a nice upgrade, with many upgrades offered by the manufacturer.
I do question the units long term reliability.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Colorado V6 Crew Cab Long Bed
689 Posts
Yea. I was hoping One of the members that have it could specifically shed some light.
I hear you. It reminds me of the large screen that’s available in the new Dodge Ram.
It could be nothing more than a distraction while driving.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts