Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup I was in an accident with someone who leagally shouldnt have even been on the road, im pretty sure i've got a solid case and a good witness even though I was reported as being at fault by the officer but atleast he blamed the other peoples speed as a contributing factor....I only had liability insurance and not full coverage so im pretty much stuck with the bill.....HAS ANYONE HERE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AND CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Dillusion said:
Get a lawyer.
x2

Technically it may be your fault, but legally the other driver shouldn't have been there. Most judges will see an outcome in your favor, if for no other reason than "finding and pointing out the illegal driver".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great! so yall think i've got a solid case here...I mean they honestly should have not been on the raod that day and were doing about 50 in a 35 when they hit me...now im going to have to get my truck fixed beofre I can get a lwyer so i think ill take a credit card and pay for it up front and then get them to pay for my expense!....any ideas on how I should go about getting it fixed...should I go to a junk yard collect all the pieces and then have someone put them on or just go straight the the chevy dealers body shop and let them handle it while they give me a loaner?!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Is it drivable, "Got Pics" sorry to say you might not get much out of this, this is why we pay so much for ins, people like this, if they don't have a drivers license or insurance they must have other issues.

I had a freind that got rearended by an guy that had no ins or drivers lic, and latter to find out he was an illegal immigrant, needless to say his car was totaled and he was stuck with an impound fee on the car ($500) no car and $2000 medical bill.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Was it his vehicle or someone else’s?
We have very different laws here so a guy with no license or insurance couldn't possible register a vehicle in his own name, it would have to be someone else's and they (and their insurance) could be held financially responsible for what he did while he was in possession of their car. Unless they reported it stolen, then they would be off the hook.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
GMCdriver said:
We have very different laws here so a guy with no license or insurance couldn't possible register a vehicle in his own name, it would have to be someone else's and they (and their insurance) could be held financially responsible for what he did while he was in possession of their car. Unless they reported it stolen, then they would be off the hook.
What if you registered your car, and then had your license suspended or revoked and your insurance expired?

We have to have insurance to register our vehicles every year, but I've got a co-worker who only buys a six month policy right before he has to register his vehicle, so then six months later it expires and he drives for about have the year with no insurance.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Add uninsured/underinsured insurance for the future. Get some quotes and maybe get the parts yourself if you can find them at a junk yard. But remember if there is a chance the ins will cover it you have to use one of their repair shops or you won't get any warranty with it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
VA law requires a uninsured/underinsured motorist schedule on every auto policy written, even if it's just a liability policy.
If you insurance expires for any reason, DMV is notified and your license can be revoked. If DMV is ever notified of an insurance lapse you have to pay a $500 reinstatement fee and pay for an SR22 for three years, just to keep your license. You have 30 days to comply or prove that your insurance didn't lapse.
They don't play!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
naskie18 said:
GMCdriver said:
What if you registered your car, and then had your license suspended or revoked and your insurance expired?

We have to have insurance to register our vehicles every year, but I've got a co-worker who only buys a six month policy right before he has to register his vehicle, so then six months later it expires and he drives for about have the year with no insurance.
For us, basic collision and liability coverage(the minimum required by law) is packaged with our registration.
One can't lapse without the other, as soon as our insurance is canceled, so is our registration on the vehicle.

:?: Regardless, I'm still wondering if this guy was the the owner of the vehicle he was driving or if there is another person who should be invited to the discussion. :?:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Rolltide4x4LS said:
Yup I was in an accident with someone who leagally shouldnt have even been on the road, im pretty sure i've got a solid case and a good witness even though I was reported as being at fault by the officer but atleast he blamed the other peoples speed as a contributing factor....I only had liability insurance and not full coverage so im pretty much stuck with the bill.....HAS ANYONE HERE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM AND CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE!?
If you choose to drive with only liability insurance, you take a chance and a roll of the dice that you won't be in a collision or your truck won't be stolen. Liability insurance only covers damage you do to other people whether it is property damage or personal injury. You take the finacial hit if you lose. Since you are fault, I think you would have a difficult time convincing a judge or jury that you should be compensated by an unisured or unlicensed driver for your damages. At most, your insurance company may be reluctant paying the unlicensed driver for their damages because he was also breaking the law.
Seek the advice of an attorney but if your damages are less than $5000, you don't need one. Just sue the unlicesed driver in small claims court. Even if you win a judgement, collecting it is as always very difficult.
I don't know what you drive but if it is being financed, you must have collision and comprehensive insurance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
upflying said:
Rolltide4x4LS said:
If you choose to drive with only liability insurance, you take a chance and a roll of the dice that you won't be in a collision or your truck won't be stolen. Liability insurance only covers damage you do to other people whether it is property damage or personal injury. You take the finacial hit if you lose. Since you are fault, I think you would have a difficult time convincing a judge or jury that you should be compensated by an unisured or unlicensed driver for your damages. At most, your insurance company may be reluctant paying the unlicensed driver for their damages because he was also breaking the law.
Seek the advice of an attorney but if your damages are less than $5000, you don't need one. Just sue the unlicesed driver in small claims court. Even if you win a judgement, collecting it is as always very difficult.
I don't know what you drive but if it is being financed, you must have collision and comprehensive insurance.
YOU GUYS are so right! I talked to a lawyer and they said that since it is so risky dealing with someone who could possibly be totally broke, that an actual lawyer would not want to WASTE HIS TIME and take the case, they recommended me going to small claims court! AND if in fact the vehical is in someone elses name then yes maybe I could go after the person who is the actual owner of the car!......AS for now I MUST get a rental car and being under 25 the only way I could get one is under my moms name and its about 300 bucks for a week....so im thinking i should just go to the dealers (being that theres not many salvaged colorados) and just get them to do the work for me than take the fat heffer to small claims court....YOU are right that its a risk going to small claims court since the officer labled me as not yeilding the right away, although they were SPEEDING but the factor of her not supposed to be on the road should sway the jury?! DONT you think?!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This is sad, even if it was your falt, you have to pay dearly for something that should never have happend, and if it was her fault YOU still would have paid, and they just walk away free.

Did they impound the other car, here they will tow you and you cannot get it back untill you can show prof of ins,

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
There is no jury in small claims court - only the judge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rangerbob said:
good well i believe any judge would be swayed in my favor...the other car was totaled (1995 inifinty G20) I was lucky to have driven out alive and with a running vehicle...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Rolltide4x4LS said:
rangerbob said:
good well i believe any judge would be swayed in my favor...the other car was totaled (1995 inifinty G20) I was lucky to have driven out alive and with a running vehicle...
Our trucks crash quite well, even with rolling over.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Is your truck paid off already? If not, how'd you get away with just running liability since finance companies require comp/collision?

One thing to remember about small claims....even if you win, you still have to try and collect.

Google small claims for your state to find limits, procedures, filing fees, etc.

My ex-g/f got into an accident a few years back with a couple who didn't have insurance and "shouldn't" have been driving. Her insurance still had to pay for their damages.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts