Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Hey all,

I am headed to big bear this November and I have a 16 WT/2WD with 265/65/17 KO2s on a stock suspension. Luckily no rubbing and no issues. I know I will need snow chains when I head up there IF it's snowing and should take them JUST IN CASE.

Questions is, can you guys recommend some snow chains to me? My tires are barely NOT rubbing with the fender liner btw. I do not intend on doing any off roading in snow as I know my truck isn't meant for snow off roading lol.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses in advance!

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Hey all,

I am headed to big bear this November and I have a 16 WT/2WD with 265/65/17 KO2s on a stock suspension. Luckily no rubbing and no issues. I know I will need snow chains when I head up there IF it's snowing and should take them JUST IN CASE.

Questions is, can you guys recommend some snow chains to me? My tires are barely NOT rubbing with the fender liner btw. I do not intend on doing any off roading in snow as I know my truck isn't meant for snow off roading lol.

For as much as they get used, or IF at all, I would go with some cheap Walmart ones. Can you return them if you don't use them???

·
Registered
748 Posts
If your tires are already that close, you may not be able to run chains or even cables. I know on the way to some state parks in CA you can rent chains on the way up. Sometimes you have to show that you have them to the rangers before they will let you enter the park. Even if you know you can't put them on, maybe you can just rent a set for a few bucks...

I do know there is a product called "snow socks" that are ment for cars with lower clearance. But I have no idea if they work or not.

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
915 Posts
GM recommends against chains even with the standard tires. Carry some if you must, but also prepare a winter kit to carry with you. Good snow rated tires, a tob of some kind of grit, such as fine crushed rock, and a shovel. I used this kit when I lived in the upper midwest and drove a 2WD RWD hatchback, and I never got into a situation I couldn't get out of.

Reactions: maxbee25

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most the time chain control is chains or snow tires. When it is chains only you don't want to be driving.

·
Registered
351 Posts
To echo what GH1618 said, I'm pretty sure in the owners manual it states that you shouldn't use tire chains on the truck. Just an FYI. Maybe try those crazy tire sock things? Don't know if they work or not, but they're low profile and probably won't tear up your wheel wells.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I had my Avalanche and was hunting in Wyoming I carried a set. Used them twice to get out of a bind then would take them right off.
They will give you that extra advantage if you get stuck but I wouldn’t leave them on. If you get a set I suggest you practice putting them on in the yard so that you are familiar with the process before you have to learn in 12 degrees and snow. I have a set for my Colorado and take them when I head up north.
You will also need some rubber snubbers, chain tightners what ever you want to call them.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use tire chains all the time. They can not be beat in snow and ice. They are a bigger advantage than 4x4 in my opinion. Go to a good tire shop that sells commercial tires, they will have what you need. Don’t get the cheap ones if you plan on using them very much. I have torn them apart in minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Huh, yea I just looked in my manual and it says not to use tire chains if you have 255/65/17, 265/60/18, 265/65/17 or 265/70/16. "They can damage the vehicle because there is not enough clearance." Page 314. Well that's pretty damn dumb IMO.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not on the canyon. They clear on my Zr2 so I will use them on the front of it. I always chained up my Toyota’s all the way around, it would amaze you where you can go.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not on the canyon. They clear on my Zr2 so I will use them on the front of it. I always chained up my Toyota’s all the way around, it would amaze you where you can go.

I have always had a set in the back end of my 06 Silverado when I lived in AK and MI, you feel unstoppable when you have them on lol. Planned on buying a new set when for the Colorado when I moved out of TX, that's why the manual surprised me. Ill have to take some measurements to see how little clearance there really is in the front. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gm is most likely referring to the front wheels. There is tons of room in the rear and if you only need them to get out in a pinch, rears should be just fine. I only have rwd so chains on the front wouldn’t help me out 9/10 times

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,

Did you try to fit chains on your 265/65/17 KO2? I'm looking to get the same tires with a 1.25" levelling kit but I need to be able to fit snow chains for my job...

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you try to fit chains on your 265/65/17 KO2? I'm looking to get the same tires with a 1.25" levelling kit but I need to be able to fit snow chains for my job...
I ended up getting the z cable light truck chains. Never had to use them as the snow cleared out by the time I was in the park.

https://www.pepboys.com/z-cable-light-truck,-suv-tire-chains---zt747/product/8811730

On a stock suspension I KNOW these would fit perfectly so you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.