Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just started hearing noises from my transmission last night. Its also going into drive and reverse kinda harsh. When I checked my temp screen it showed 62C. Which is pretty far abpve normal temps. Obviously I shut it off. So here's the big dillema. Aboht a month ago I changed my oil at my work over a pit. Me being a dummy, I avcidentally undid the transmission overflow plug located on the rear of the tranny pan. I'd imagine only 1/2 a quart leaked out. I never put any more in because when doing research I found that it was the overflow plug and I would be fine. Weeks have gone by and the transmission has been acting fine. I'll be checking the fluid and probably do a full change but should there be any cause for concern?

·
Registered
100 Posts
62C is pretty typical actually. These units often run up as high as 90C in city driving. I will say if the truck was off when you pulled the overflow plug and fluid came out then you are low. The overflow plug is intended to set the level when the truck is running and the converter/valve body/clutch packs are all filled with fluid.

I doubt running around for a couple weeks with a low fluid level would hurt anything, especially if you were mostly on level roads and not really working the truck. You should at least do a level set procedure to get some fluid back in there and see if it resolves your issue. It's possible the harsh engagements are happening because you're getting aeration due to the low fluid level and as a result the trans is trying to compensate by slamming the clutches on.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Top up the fluid. These transmissions need to be at proper fluid level for proper operation. You are guessing 1/2 quart was drained, could be more if you had it open for more than a few seconds. As stated if engine was off when you pulled the trans plug, that all needs to be added. 62c is nothing for these trans.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm down in S. FL, much warmer than you guys, but I see 90C+ on regular occasion, above 93C if I'm towing. I've got the diesel with the 6L50 in it. On the up side, if you haven't changed the fluid in a while, new fluid makes the shifting a ton smoother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts