Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you guys that are running the Skidz Skid Plates or possibly might know the answer to the question.. I picked up all 4 Skidz Skid plates for my 2018 Z71 Diesel which I don't have yet. I ordered the skid plates in raw aluminum as I planned on getting all 4 sprayed in Line-X before I installed them, however I never took into consideration how close the exhaust might be to the skid plates before I devised this plan.
The last thing I need is the Line-x melting off of the skid plate, or possibly burning, if the exhaust gets really hot, especially during regen. My other option would be to get the skid plates ceramic coated and that would solve the heat problem but I'm wondering if the ceramic coating would protect the skid plates better than the Line-X, especially if the skid plates contact something hard, like a rock. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Line X is going to add hella weight and thickness and likely make fitting them a bit of a bi7ch. I wouldnt recommend such a thick product.

Cerma or Powder would likely go on about as think as what James uses so those should be fine. Or actually save the money you were trying to save but not just buying them coated and just rattle can them. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Line X is going to add hella weight and thickness and likely make fitting them a bit of a bi7ch. I wouldnt recommend such a thick product.

Cerma or Powder would likely go on about as think as what James uses so those should be fine. Or actually save the money you were trying to save but not just buying them coated and just rattle can them. :wink2:

I was more into protection for the skid plates so the weight part of the Line-X never bothered me. I was going to have the attachment parts of the skid plates masked off so fitment together hopefully wouldn't be an issue.
The only worry for me was the exhaust heat on the Line-X and whether it could stand up to it or not, which is why I ordered the skid plates without a coating. Why pay for something I'm only going to end up sanding off.
Anything I put on those skid plates from a can isn't going to last very long and I can't be bothered having to spray the skid plates every time there's a nick, cut or gouge in the coating.
The more I think about it, a ceramic coating is the way to go as it will protect and be more durable than powder coat. Thanks for your reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.