Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Moved to proper forum

If you read the post from GM:
2020 CHEVROLET SILVERADO’S NEW, ADVANCED 3.0L DURAMAX TURBO-DIESEL REDEFINES EXPECTATIONS

"Traditionally, EGR systems in diesel applications recirculate exhaust gases between the two high-pressure points, the exhaust manifold(s) and intake manifold. However, it generally requires efficiency-robbing assistance from the turbocharger or other supporting elements to achieve the pressure differential required for sufficient EGR flow rates.

The new low-pressure system adds to the high-pressure system, supporting continual adjustment of exhaust backpressure for more efficient operation. It recirculates gases between the low-pressure points in the exhaust system (downstream of the particulate filter) and after the compressor inlet."

It reads more like this engine will have 2 EGR systems. The traditional "high pressure" system that we're all used to and then they'll add this new "low pressure", post DPF system too and let the ECU switch between the 2.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
It's actually a question about the 2.8 engine in the Colorado/Canyon, so it was in the proper forum originally. Now it is where no one will see it. :serious:
These changes have no bearing on our motors.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I do wish GM had gone with a CGI block instead of aluminum. Boost pressure of 43.5 PSI is likely absolute, meaning subtract 14.7 PSI for atmospheric, for a net boost of 29PSI, which is a little higher than our trucks. Pulling the EGR after the DPF sounds awesome, with no exhaust soot going into the motor, which is my whole objection to EGR in the first place.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I do wish GM had gone with a CGI block instead of aluminum. Boost pressure of 43.5 PSI is likely absolute, meaning subtract 14.7 PSI for atmospheric, for a net boost of 29PSI, which is a little higher than our trucks. Pulling the EGR after the DPF sounds awesome, with no exhaust soot going into the motor, which is my whole objection to EGR in the first place.
I agree it sounds awesome, I just want to know what the piping to accomplish that looks like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts