Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have this problem but I know lots of you do. Someone posted this video about checking fluid in our non-dipstick trannys. At about 9:35 in this guys says there is a TSB about torque converter shutter. He says you need to use a special low viscosity Mobil 1 fluid for it. Just thought I would post it up for those that have this issue. Maybe it will help??? I have experience with TC shutter in Fords years ago and it can feel like a miss and even weird slipping. There was an additive by Trans Dr. that fixed it. Maybe this Mobil 1 fluid will fix some of these on the Chevys.

Carry on ColoradoFans..........

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Interesting. Seems to only apply to 8-speed transmissions.

Amazing how each transmission uses a different fluid. Remember when one transmission fluid worked on all transmissions pretty much, and even was used in the power steering if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can believe the part about the TSB for a different fluid. Late last year a service advisor told me that on the 8 speeds GM was advising them to change out fluid, and in some cases, converters. This was in reference to the full size trucks but apparently it is the same issue.

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting. Seems to only apply to 8-speed transmissions.

Amazing how each transmission uses a different fluid. Remember when one transmission fluid worked on all transmissions pretty much, and even was used in the power steering if my memory is correct.

Well it all seems backward compatible. Not sure about just the 8 speed only, he mentioned 2015 and 2016s too. Did GM have the 8 speed then and just put it in the Colorado in 17? Shoot IDK but it wouldn't surprise me if it fixed the 6 speed shutter. Also it is interesting that GM has a "super low viscosity" for the 10 speed. Just FYI, according to the back of the Mobil 1 LV ATF HP bottle it is approved for older Dexron II, III, and VI vehicles too. Although that stuff ain't cheap, it might be a relatively cheap fix for a shuttering TC.

Not too long ago I did a PS flush on an Infinity, it was noisy and didn't work well after sustained high rpm's like on the freeway. I was thinking the pump was bad but decided to put new fluid in first to see if I would get lucky. They recommended PS fluid OR ATF.......Guess what, I used ATF and it fixed it....I'm guessing the old fluid was getting bubbles in it that caused the noise and stiff wheel. So, yes, ATF is still good for PS. At least on some cars.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Not doubting the theory.....as I've heard the Tacoma guys complaining about low fluid in their tranny's from the factory. I'm just too damn lazy to check it. LOL. Maybe at the next oil change... From what I understand, you gotta let the truck sit overnight so the fluid is fully cooled ? (I'll admit, I didn't watch the whole video).

I still believe half of the issue is the gas saving measures they implemented on these things and the computer programming / learning crap. For the most part - (89 octane & PC) - the shifting has been pretty decent and/or the stutter hasn't been noticable.

About a month ago, we bought a boat (3,000lbs) and we've been taking it out every weekend. Sometimes we remember to use tow/haul, sometimes not.
On Monday morning when I drive the truck to work - the stutter feels more noticable than it did prior to the weekend. A change/rift in the shifting pattern I guess....

Weird.... I stopped trying to figure it out. As long as the truck gets me where I need to go without any issues, I'm good (knock on wood). But yea, I'll mention that as my next oil change. THANKS!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not doubting the theory.....as I've heard the Tacoma guys complaining about low fluid in their tranny's from the factory. I'm just too damn lazy to check it. LOL. Maybe at the next oil change... From what I understand, you gotta let the truck sit overnight so the fluid is fully cooled ? (I'll admit, I didn't watch the whole video).

I still believe half of the issue is the gas saving measures they implemented on these things and the computer programming / learning crap. For the most part - (89 octane & PC) - the shifting has been pretty decent and/or the stutter hasn't been noticable.

About a month ago, we bought a boat (3,000lbs) and we've been taking it out every weekend. Sometimes we remember to use tow/haul, sometimes not.
On Monday morning when I drive the truck to work - the stutter feels more noticable than it did prior to the weekend. A change/rift in the shifting pattern I guess....

Weird.... I stopped trying to figure it out. As long as the truck gets me where I need to go without any issues, I'm good (knock on wood). But yea, I'll mention that as my next oil change. THANKS!

Actually the fluid has to be hot and the truck running to check it. Just like with a dipstick. Sounds like fun crawling under a hot truck, with the engine running, removing a plug on the trans pan, right? LOL

As for the "stutter", I don't know if there is different stutter/shudders on different trucks or what causes it, but I'm betting (because of the TSB) at least one version is the TC slipping/shuttering. So, the fluid change might just fix it. Also, I remember reading here about more than one person getting a new TC under warranty from GM for this kind of problem.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Actually the fluid has to be hot and the truck running to check it. Just like with a dipstick. Sounds like fun crawling under a hot truck, with the engine running, removing a plug on the trans pan, right? LOL.
Yep. three big burns from touching the crossover while fumbling with the drain bolt. Wear long leather sleeves if you dont have a lift. These are a few months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I don't have this problem but I know lots of you do. Someone posted this video about checking fluid in our non-dipstick trannys. At about 9:35 in this guys says there is a TSB about torque converter shutter. He says you need to use a special low viscosity Mobil 1 fluid for it. Just thought I would post it up for those that have this issue. Maybe it will help??? I have experience with TC shutter in Fords years ago and it can feel like a miss and even weird slipping. There was an additive by Trans Dr. that fixed it. Maybe this Mobil 1 fluid will fix some of these on the Chevys.

[/QUOTE

I posted the video.
The strange thing is that this video was made over a year ago, talking about the new fluid, and two things, 1. GM just came out with a fix, and 2. They cannot seem to get the new fluid. Awful funny that the guy making the video didn’t have any trouble getting the fluid a year and a half ago. Imagine that!

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrP4NQZg6w&feature=youtu.be[/QUOTE

I posted the video.
The strange thing is that this video was made over a year ago, talking about the new fluid, and two things, 1. GM just came out with a fix, and 2. They cannot seem to get the new fluid. Awful funny that the guy making the video didn’t have any trouble getting the fluid. Imagine that!
Isn't there a new, new fluid? IDK I can't keep up....

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yes it is the new Mobil 1 Dexron HP ATF LV, low viscosity. That is the new flush fix for the 8 speed Shudder.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
GM has posted a bulletin in the last couple of weeks saying that as of the end of Jan. 2019, production has ceased on 55 gallon drums of the new ATF, and that each dealer will only get 120 quarts of the fluid per month. At about 20 quarts/flush, they will not be able to service many transmissions covered under the TSB.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
GM has posted a bulletin in the last couple of weeks saying that as of the end of Jan. 2019, production has ceased on 55 gallon drums of the new ATF, and that each dealer will only get 120 quarts of the fluid per month. At about 20 quarts/flush, they will not be able to service many transmissions covered under the TSB.
Well luckily, the 1st TSB flush has held up fine for 12K now for me.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yep. three big burns from touching the crossover while fumbling with the drain bolt. Wear long leather sleeves if you dont have a lift. These are a few months old.
You make me really appreciate my dipstick, when you post pictures of skin burns like that. Wish you well on healing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That video was using the previous fluid type. It didn't solve it, so that's why there's a third iteration. This third fluid is the same name as before but it is "newly formulated with the blue label" and just now starting to get used at dealers. Maybe the third fluid type is a charm...we'll see.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Yes, but it mentions the new fluid in case that fluid had problems.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, but it mentions the new fluid in case that fluid had problems.
That video is from 2017, it doesn't make mention of the new-new blue bottle (third fluid) because it wasn't a thing. See his comment in the youtube comments, he acknowledge just a few weeks ago that what he's talking about in the video is the old-new fluid.

"The new fluid is not blue, the label on the new fluid bottle is blue and silver rather than the black and silver shown in this video."

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had my 2016 Canyon in for the shutter issue, they were not able to replicate the problem but did update the ECM/TCM . That seemed to have fixed the issue, it cost $175 and was not covered by the drive train warranty. If they had discover the shudder they would have tripled flushed the transmission at no-charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts