Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been posted previously.
I have a 2017 ZR2 and just started experiencing a shudder. After doing some digging I find that there are lots of complaints regarding it. Especially on YouTube and no recall per the dealer it was purchased from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Not sure if this has been posted previously.
I have a 2017 ZR2 and just started experiencing a shudder. After doing some digging I find that there are lots of complaints regarding it. Especially on YouTube and no recall per the dealer it was purchased from.

there is a TSB #18-NA-355 on it, not a recall, take it to dealer and they will replace the fluid, do not wait, the longer it shudders the more issues are created

I deleted the fender bracket comment cause it confused people...

google it here and you will find a lot better info

here it is

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not see any mention of the fender issue in either of those links. I will be searching google for the fender issue.
The lawsuit is pretty telling though.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Fender bracket?
In the link the OP posted , besides a mention of a lawsuit, the people were trying to figure out what was the cause of the shudder, they were all over, one said he figured it is the right fender bracket and a number of them were saying it was the cylinder deactivation aka AFM

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Not see any mention of the fender issue in either of those links. I will be searching google for the fender issue.
The lawsuit is pretty telling though.

did you not see the links I posted n the shudder?

that law suit is dead, that link yyou posted is 3 years old

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the assistance and didn’t know the lawsuit was over. Just something else to put on my plate. Like all of us. Timing is never optimal.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
The flush for the new fluid fixes the issue. The lawsuit was just some Lawyers just trying to get rich off the truck owners. Class actions are jokes.

The fluid fixed most issues. The few that it failed in needed the converter replaced as the clutch was too glazed for the new oil to recover. In other words driven too long with the shudder.

The biggest issue has been some dealer do the flush with no issue under warranty some try to avoid it. If your dealer gives you trouble try another dealer. They are to do this if you report a shudder.

I believe it is under the drive line warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How is anyone addressing this issue? They are saying that it isn’t under warranty and giving me a quote.
Not happy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You should try to get some history from the dealer. If your truck has less than 60k miles you should be covered under warranty and the TSB would be done at no cost to you. If the TSB flush has already been completed the dealer won't replace the TC unless your shudder reaches a specific threshold on the PICO scope. You should start by finding out if the post March 2019 flush was already completed on your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
I had a discussion with a member who informed me that Mobil is pushing back against GM's claim that the ATF was the issue.
Im not sure anymore if the Black label ATF itself was faulty, or if pre-contaminated Black label ATF is to blame, but Mobil claims clutch design/manufacturing problems are to blame.
You might even say that in terms of chickens and eggs, the 8L45 was designed first and the ATF was chosen second. The 8L45 fails to play well with the ATF. Or at all.
They're going round and round over it.
Even some who got the new fluid early, and had the flush, got the shudders again.
I say put in some Lubegard Shudder Fixx and be done with it.
I am not a professional.

Reactions: Chetter'S Z

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a discussion with a member who informed me that Mobil is pushing back against GM's claim that the ATF was the issue.
Im not sure anymore if the Black label ATF itself was faulty, or if pre-contaminated Black label ATF is to blame, but Mobil claims clutch design/manufacturing problems are to blame.
The Black Label stuff had the same issues as the original fluid, that's why it was replaced by the Blue label product. Folks who had shudder issues return typically have done excessive damage to the torque converter clutch.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
192 Posts
My understanding of the issue is that below 1600 rpm and under light load, the TC is 'locked' but not fully locked. The lockup backs off a little bit in this situation to allow just a bit of slip. The reason for this strategy is that in this situation road bumps etc. can be transmitted back through the locked up driveline and create some diagnostic ghosts off the crank position sensor.

If the ATF picks up some moisture, the TC slips excessively and you get shudder. Keep donig that and the TC becomes glazed and cannot be saved.

But I have no expert, insider information. Just what I have been able to find on the internet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer I just went to gave me the ‘we don’t believe anything on the internet.’ lone. However, the dealer that I bought it from said that they get this issue a couple of times a day.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's going to be covered under your powertrain warranty if you haven't passed that after factory warranty is up plus you need to have it done by the dealership that has the machine that flushes the system entirely of old fluid (see tsb) not just do it yourself by draining and putting new fluid in. If a dealership says otherwise and your still under one or the other warranties tell them B.S. print off the tsb. But if dealership is that incompetent that they don't know then go to a different dealership with the tsb in hand. And it states no proof required just the customer saying it's doing as tsb says and you want the fluid flushed and the new fluid put in. End of story!

Reactions: MaineMan

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's going to be covered under your powertrain warranty if you haven't passed that after factory warranty is up plus you need to have it done by the dealership that has the machine that flushes the system entirely of old fluid (see tsb) not just do it yourself by draining and putting new fluid in. If a dealership says otherwise and your still under one or the other warranties tell them B.S. print off the tsb. But if dealership is that incompetent that they don't know then go to a different dealership with the tsb in hand. And it states no proof required just the customer saying it's doing as tsb says and you want the fluid flushed and the new fluid put in. End of story!
Yeah it's pretty much DIY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 77k on this vehicle and it didn’t start happening until it was after 60k.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have 77k on this vehicle and it didn’t start happening until it was after 60k.

Beyond your powertrain warranty, you'll need to pay for it. Definitely recommend getting the fluid exchange before more damage is done. As others have noted, you can do it yourself if you want.

Incidentally, you're the first I've heard that had the problem surface only after so many miles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
My problem did not start until around 60K. I changed the trans filter and did a pan drop twice. The initial pan drop and then again in 5K miles and the problem is gone. I just used the standard trans fluid it came with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts