Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the escalating cost of fuels and the status of local economies; it has been decided that the 2008 Employee Appreciation Tour must be postponed until a positive turn of events takes place in the future. cFans regrets this news.

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
Um...huh? :clueless

Is that what GM said, or is that because we think people won't want to make the drive given the high fuel prices?

·
Registered
268 Posts
thats lame

·
Registered
248 Posts
wtf, I have been planning my entire years vacation around this. I passed on going home for christmas and the 4th of July to save my days for this trip. Is there any more info?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've been talking with the folks at the Shreveport plant off and on for several months. It was originally planned that a bigger event was in the works, and that the good folks in Detroit also wanted to take part in the activities. The recent economic trends has lent us a dilemma that neither party was ready for. Number one, is we feel that because of the high prices of fuels; the actual participation of our forum members would probably be drastically reduced. For those who attended the last tour, you will understand that the folks at the Shreveport plant had gone to extremes to facilitate our participation in plant activities, and many of those here at the forum who signed-up to participate did not show up.

The costs for items such as food, name tags, gift packages, manpower required to accomodate us etc., had been quite a substantial cost for the Shreveport facility. This is only a postponement folks. We are still in contact with plant personnel, and will advise everyone here at the forum when we are given an approximate date for the re-scheduled event.

Right now, the folks at GM and specifically the Shreveport plant - need our support and understanding in this matter!

I too had sacrificed vacation time for this event as well. I cancelled the time I had for an important trip to Germany in August, so now...a round-trip ticket would cost me out the kazoo. I am sure other forum members have suffered the same. Let's not make a spectacle out of our misfortune, please.

It's just a bump in the road......we will get over it! :wink:

·
Registered
268 Posts
lol lets all just meet there anyway. PARKING LOT MEET!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well that blows. I think the reason a lot of people didn't come last year is because it was short notice. We knew about the tour for a while but the actual date didn't come out until just before the event.

We need to just have a meet in the middle of the US.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We originally posted the good news about the 2007 tour in January of '07. The event was held on the 20th of June, 2007. That gave all of us about 5 months to plan for the event. Seemed like plenty of time to get all our ducks in a row.

I'm for any event that brings us all together. I think St. Louis, Missouri would be a nice place to meet.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It is a little bit of a let down but im sure things will turn around. I hope anyways I had a great time last year and will wait untill the next one

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Sab said:
We originally posted the good news about the 2007 tour in January of '07. The event was held on the 20th of June, 2007. That gave all of us about 5 months to plan for the event. Seemed like plenty of time to get all our ducks in a row.

That is true, but we never had a solid date until just before. I know because that is why I couldn't go.

·
Registered
13,515 Posts
Sab said:
I'm for any event that brings us all together.
Was there a large portion of empty space nearby the plant last year that you think would make a good hosting ground for it?

It'd be cool to get us all together as close as possible to the plant, even without the support of GM's management/finances, and at least have a show near the plant that the employees can see and stop by if they so desire.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
collyondubs said:
Sab said:

That is true, but we never had a solid date until just before. I know because that is why I couldn't go.

*nods* You guys "couldn't" announce the date until, what was effectively, just before it. Plenty of time - I think not.

·
Registered
297 Posts
NUTS!!! I would've work some OT on the job for the trip. Well I'll keep my eyes open for the next date. Though I can understand about the fuel cost delima.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
collyondubs said:
Sab said:

Rangerbob emits:
*nods* You guys "couldn't" announce the date until, what was effectively, just before it. Plenty of time - I think not.

That crystal ball that the fine folks in the Houston Chapter purchased from the palm reader left much to be desired. We were given an approximate timeframe from GM Shreveport in January: Late June to early July. So, effectively....when we received that "confirmed" information in May of 2007, it gave everyone 7 additional weeks to get prepared.

The folks at GM did give us an optional, alternate schedule to decide on for the 2007 tour. It would have fallen at an even earlier date than the June 20th date. It would have basically been a parking lot event....no plant tour, no "Employees Choice" awards, no "Tech Talk" with production folks, no food, no music, very little interaction with plant employees.....so, we went with the June 20th date because it coincided with plant employee activities. Early July was out of the question with the 4th of July being a holiday.

Additionally, in mid-July through most of August....the plant was planning to close for re-tooling, re-machining. It's a tight schedule in the summer, and both the plant management and a few of us here at the forum did the best we could as far as scheduling goes. I am really upset ( :cry: ) that we could not facilitate everyone's availability dates.

It was difficult times indeed. A butt-load of conference calls with GM representatives (to prove our legitimacy) and commitments were made during the preceding months. There was an awful lot of teamwork and coordinating going on with folks from all parts of the country. It was an impressive display of people working with each other, not against. In fact, as I was told by GM plant officials; the participating cFans members were actually the first public group allowed to drive their vehicles inside the plant, and no other group of enthusiasts had ever accomplished and shown support as our cFans members had....this includes the S10/S15 enthusiasts. History was made.

Sometimes life hands you a lemon. You can either whine about it being sour, or you can make lemonade. We chose to make lemonade.

If you guys wanna just drive to Shreveport some day and sit outside the gates, well...I guess you could show your support that way. Still, you would need plant approval for that - (the entrance road and perimeter roads are privately owned). We're all for showing each other support. We are also committed to supporting the manufacturer of our trucks: General Motors. I have to say I am embarrased at some of the whining that's going on here. After all, just last week; I was told by our GM contact that they are reading through these posts. :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.