Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to hear about the job cuts. Wonder if killing off the Isuzu models had any bearing on production cuts.

GM Cutting Production At Louisiana Plant; 68 To Lose Jobs

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP)--General Motors Corp. (GM) is cutting production at its Shreveport plant and 68 people will be laid off, officials confirm.

"We're going from 47 units to 40 units an hour," Gaylord Tice, the plant's labor manager, said Thursday.

Days earlier, GM said it will offer a new round of buyouts to its 74,000 hourly employees who are represented by the United Auto Workers.

Most of the Shreveport workers being laid off are on the second shift, and will be officially laid off at the end of their shift today, Tice said.

The assembly plant makes the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and HUMMER H3 and, since 1981, has shipped more than four million trucks.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
From lack of advertising. Stupid GM.

·
Registered
651 Posts
which leads to less advertising... :p

·
Registered
651 Posts
which leads to less advertising... :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
I remember when my father got laid off in the sixties from his job at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. It was unsettling for the family. The work there was moved to Mississippi.

Allot of manufacturing has shifted from the North to the South over the past decades.

It’s likely that allot of that relocation activity was due to the relative low production costs. But now, to some extent at least, it appears that shift was a stepping stone to points further south, to Mexico and to places over seas like South Korea. It’s hard to see how any of this changes. (although I gotta say the Europeans and even the transplants here seem to have some solutions)

The quarterly earnings report, plant automation, increasing global competition…. are going to continue to be brutal to American manufacturing.

It's a shame. These are decent jobs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
LongBow986 said:
rangerbob said:
From lack of advertising. Stupid GM.
which lead to Isuzu pulling out
Isuzu is pulling completely From US. I know they had a Trailblazer and a Colorado version. I'm not sure but I think that was it. The Shreveport plant will be down next week and slow startup the week after.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts