Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little back story, I just purchased my first Colorado last Friday. It's a 2021 Colorado Z71 CCSB with the duramax in cherry red. Absolutely love the truck. I didn't get a screaming deal as it was from a dealership but still thought it was a fair price. 43k out the door, 15k miles on it. I am a diesel enthusiast and this is my third diesel truck. The emissions equipment makes me a bit nervous but with the 80k mile warranty I wasn't too concerned.

So to my main question, should I have waited for the 2023 trucks to come out? I'm always a bit cautious buying a first model year vehicle as they generally come with a few more issues that need fixing but the upgrades and new options coming the new trucks are very tempting. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 Summit White
153 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well, you said you are a diesel enthusiast, so you'll be waiting for awhile if you want one in a third gen.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you needed a truck, you needed it. This isn't normal times where you could order the next year's model in September and see it possibly before the new year..

We got no idea of the actual price, which is expected to be a significant increase this time, or availability as far as when they will be delivered. Or much at all - nobody is out there even reviewing them yet, nevermind a test drive for you.

The anticipated benefit of a '23 is potentially better performance - depending what model you get, how much weight they added to the 23s - no actual hard info yet as nobody has tested them and wrote about it. And again, depending what model, they can come at increased lift with bigger tires etc etc.

If you weren't looking for a more lifted truck or the potential of better performance, I do not see any benefit of a '23 - unless it's a sunroof of some specific option you wanted that may be available in a '23.

For the most part, a '23 is just a slightly different looking version, with a handful of new options/tech, that has levels of lift and engine output available...

The biggest benefit I see is for the "off road" crowd - versions of these trucks actually will come stock with 33s and likely will be able to fit larger, with no or minimal mods, where previous models just can't get into that ballpark without a good bit of work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diesel pretty much answers your question. Not offered on the '23's.
I am a huge diesel fan so it is kind of unfortunate to see they're not offering it anymore.

If you needed a truck, you needed it. This isn't normal times where you could order the next year's model in September and see it possibly before the new year..

We got no idea of the actual price, which is expected to be a significant increase this time, or availability as far as when they will be delivered. Or much at all - nobody is out there even reviewing them yet, nevermind a test drive for you.

The anticipated benefit of a '23 is potentially better performance - depending what model you get, how much weight they added to the 23s - no actual hard info yet as nobody has tested them and wrote about it. And again, depending what model, they can come at increased lift with bigger tires etc etc.

If you weren't looking for a more lifted truck or the potential of better performance, I do not see any benefit of a '23 - unless it's a sunroof of some specific option you wanted that may be available in a '23.

For the most part, a '23 is just a slightly different looking version, with a handful of new options/tech, that has levels of lift and engine output available...

The biggest benefit I see is for the "off road" crowd - versions of these trucks actually will come stock with 33s and likely will be able to fit larger, with no or minimal mods, where previous models just can't get into that ballpark without a good bit of work.
I do like the more offroad look so getting a bit of a lift from the factory would be nice. I will use this to tow enough that I didn't want to go with the ZR2 even though I love the look of those trucks. I would assume that the new ZR2 and trail boss would have similarly lower tow ratings. Performance / mpg is also a concern at that point, hard to beat the 32 mpg I got on the highway on the way home with diesel Colorado. Again pricing is a concern. I built the same truck on Chevy's website as a '22 and it ended up being 50k. I can only assume there will be an increase in price for the '23.

Sounds to me like I made the right choice with '21!

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
574 Posts
It doesn't matter what we think. Be happy with your purchase and worry about the 3rd gens later (sounds like you are happy, so that's good!)

If you're someone that really wants a diesel or a long bed, then the 2023 isn't for you. Otherwise, I think the 3rd gens are going to be pretty dang nice and a worthy step up from the 2nd gen trucks.

·
Registered
2015 Colorado Crew V6 2x4
574 Posts
I don't like 1st models. Give time to work any issues out.
Buying a 1st year model mid-way or later through usually gives them time to work out assembly line kinks. The factory will and does make changes on the line throughout the year.

If you are worried about bigger issues, such as engineering problems with the drivetrain for example, well then, you'll be waiting multiple more model years before you are able to buy since that's just how it goes for those sort of things.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am a huge diesel fan so it is kind of unfortunate to see they're not offering it anymore.

I do like the more offroad look so getting a bit of a lift from the factory would be nice. I will use this to tow enough that I didn't want to go with the ZR2 even though I love the look of those trucks. I would assume that the new ZR2 and trail boss would have similarly lower tow ratings. Performance / mpg is also a concern at that point, hard to beat the 32 mpg I got on the highway on the way home with diesel Colorado. Again pricing is a concern. I built the same truck on Chevy's website as a '22 and it ended up being 50k. I can only assume there will be an increase in price for the '23.

Sounds to me like I made the right choice with '21!
Price matters for sure.

If a full size w/ a 6.2 was 40K I'd have bought one of those for instance. Something like that is clearly a better vehicle in every way...

But the reality is it's not the same price - for the +20k it would cost, it'd be a poor value for my needs as well as out of budget, even if it's "better".

The 23s are a list price (unknown price too) unicorn at this point. In a year or two, we likely will be back to getting $$ off list price. I'd say, for most of us, the wise choice would be - enjoy our Gen2s, see what the Gen3s actually have to offer in person, let them work the kinks out and for actual prices to come down as supply becomes > demand - then see if a Gen3 is right for you.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 crew cab, short bed
95 Posts
I don't like 1st models. Give time to work any issues out.
I'm thinking the same thing. I bought a 2021 Canyon CCSB V6 and love it, but looking at these off road, factory lifted, factory widened, huge touchscreen, 3rd gen twins, makes me think that in 2027 when I retire, (HOPEFULLY) I will have just paid off my Truck that month and hopefully after 6yrs they have added a few engine options, hopefully a turbo V6 and a hybrid 4 cylinder for better HP/Torque, towing, and mpg. My guess is they will have a turbo 4 and a hybrid 4 by then. And hopefully after 6yrs they get all the "bugs" out of the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was in a similar situation but knew I wanted the diesel so it made it pretty easy when they weren't going to be offered in 2023. If the 23 offered a diesel I would have waited. Everytime I start up my truck I'm happy with my purchase and they are pretty rare as well to see around.

·
Registered
2022 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel 4X4. Summit White, Cocoa/Dark Atmosphere, Black wheel package
563 Posts
Like you I’m a bit nervous about all of the emissions stuff on these new diesels. So far everything with mine is good. Unfortunately, maintenance cost on the emissions systems on diesels nowadays is also the cost of admission. If, in the future, you decide that a gen 3 is what you really want there will most likely be someone waiting in the wings to take that little diesel off of your hands. Until then just enjoy the unique “personality“ of that sweet little oil burner.

Reactions: HED

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was in a similar situation but knew I wanted the diesel so it made it pretty easy when they weren't going to be offered in 2023. If the 23 offered a diesel I would have waited. Everytime I start up my truck I'm happy with my purchase and they are pretty rare as well to see around.
I've been very happy with mine so far, definitely a fun little truck to drive. I don't think I've seen more than a couple other diesels driving around my area.

·
Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
164 Posts
Picking up the first model year will always be a gamble, I'd say you made the right choice with the info you had.

If your primarily towing, you should be happy with the diesel. I absolutely love mine. It's a little towing beast.

Think about it this way: With a 2021/2022 gas or diesel, you got the best possible revision of the current gen. Nothing wrong with that at all. These trucks are built well, reliable and capable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts