Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4in RC lift on my 4x4 truck, back when I purchased this from RC it did not include a front struts, they included a spacer that mounted on the bottom of the factory shock and wrapped itself around the shock body. The factory front shocks are gone south and I am looking for a replacement.

This truck is mostly city/highway driven and it rarely sees any off road, so I don't think I need anything extra fancy, but do want something that will provide good comfort and handling.

RC offers an "N3 Struts" for $320 but I don't know how good it is, anyone here has any experience with this brand? I was also considering the Bilstein B8-5100 shocks but I don't know if the RC spacer would mount to it.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
30 Posts
I'm a dealer for Rough Country and despite everyone online saying that they are crap, I have yet to have any issues with their suspension parts. I have a customer with the diesel and 4 inch lift with these struts, he said it rides like stock if not a bit better. Planning on getting the same kit with the new struts for my truck as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had no issues with my lift, again I do not use the truck as some here do so I can not comment on how it behaves on a extreme offroad situation, but for my use it has done well. The only issue so far is this factory shock that has reached its end of life.

I have no problem purchasing the N3 Struts, just trying to get the consensus of the comunity on what options may be available.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question. I still have the 2" leveling spacers that mount on top of the struts, obviously I removed this when I upgraed to the 4" lift.

If I purchase the Bilstein 5100, that can adjust to a max of a 2" lift, and also mount the spacer on top of the struts, would this accomplish the 4" front lift I currently have?

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71
30 Posts
That will give you 4 inches of lift but it all depends on if your comfortable running a spacer on top of a lifted strut. It should be okay since the struts are lifted and you are only running one spacer. Your spacers provide 2 inches lift without a preload spacer right?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The spacer that goes above the struts is the one sold to level the trucks, when measured is actually less than 2" but it does lift the truck 2" I remember measuring this after installation. So that would mount the Strut 2" lower, then the Bilstein 5100 will preload another 2", giving the 4 I need. This is my thinking, but I am not an expert on suspension, hence why I am asking here.
Another thing is it is my understanding the actual coil on the Diesel is different than the Gas, so purchasing a complete strut assembly may affect the way the truck rides, for example the one from RC does not specify Diesel or Gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I was thinking of doing this with a bds lift. Here is the response I got when I asked them...

"We have not test fit with that set up so my concern would be too much down travel since the strut is longer than factory. The UCA will stop it BUT if you went with an aftermarket UCA that allows additional droop, that could cause some CV axle issues.

Aside from that, I don’t foresee any other issues, but like I said, we haven’t tested that combination"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the Bilstein 5100 on the way, so going to give this a try. For all I researched it should work just fine, mostly since I wont be taking this suspension to its max travel.

According to the Bilstein documentation, there are 5 heigh setting, the highest is not recommended for the Diesel trucks, but the two under supposed to provide 1.9 and 1.3" of lift. My plan is to play with these two and see where the truck looks better. I am thinking the 1.3" in combination with the leveling spacer above the strut may be just perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts