Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got my wife's 2018 Canyon back from the dealer for squeaking issue. Every time we pulled out/in of driveways, went over little bumps, we'd hear squeaking and chirping from the rear. At first the service rep said his suspension tech of 27 years was not able to recreate the issue and everything is fine. Called bs and went in to take it on a ride with the maintenance director and sure enough the squeaking was there. Later on they called us back and said they fixed the issue. Turns out there is a bulletin for this exact issue.

PIT5635B: Squeak/rattle noise from rear of vehicle over bumps thought to be from rear leaf springs
Cause: rear brake pads shifting
Correction: apply anti squeak compound/grease to rear pads
Affects: 2015-2020 Canyon/Colorado

·
Registered
2019 Canyon Denali 4x4
66 Posts
Just got my wife's 2018 Canyon back from the dealer for squeaking issue. Every time we pulled out/in of driveways, went over little bumps, we'd hear squeaking and chirping from the rear. At first the service rep said his suspension tech of 27 years was not able to recreate the issue and everything is fine. Called bs and went in to take it on a ride with the maintenance director and sure enough the squeaking was there. Later on they called us back and said they fixed the issue. Turns out there is a bulletin for this exact issue.

PIT5635B: Squeak/rattle noise from rear of vehicle over bumps thought to be from rear leaf springs
Cause: rear brake pads shifting
Correction: apply anti squeak compound/grease to rear pads
Affects: 2015-2020 Canyon/Colorado
missing phrase in the TSB... "like we should have done in the first place but the accountants figured that we could make 15 cents more per unit by omitting it" :p

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I been traveling but I booked time at my buddy's brake shop to figure it out, tomorrow at noon. From my description he thinks it's a warped rotor (but it's new) or the backing plate (I can see that). I'll report back. I did buy the rebuild kit that @madcratebuilder linked so I'll have it with me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update. Not the brakes.

Sound is up front. My brake buddy think it could be axle rubber boot to metal, or wheel bearings or something. I will re-read the previous comments in the thread about lubing stuff up front. We put some axle grease on the boots but I don't think it helped.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Check out this video first. If this is what your squeaking sounds like then this can be fixed with a can of silicone lubricant(wd40 silicone lubricant spray). Let us know if this helps.

@Markgibo06 I'm going to try this next, kinda sounds like the noise. Thanks for sharing the video.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I sent this vid to my brake shop buddy, he said that's the noise. So I'll grab some WD silicone spray as soon as a I can and give it a try. Anyone know how much it costs to replace that seal?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I asked my dealer buddy what they charge to replace the Transfer Case Input Shaft Seal, he said $25 for the seal, and 2.3 hours labor. So figure $350-400 for labor. Just wanted to share.

I have not confirmed yet it's the noise but I am pretty confident it is.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I sprayed some WD40 silicone spray in this spot and we think it was the issue. I'll check back if it isn't. I still plan to change the seal at a convenient point if this was the problem.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts